Glass panel Cherokee 140, $65K

Hmmm, and just how does one get their "experimental autopilot" signed off for use in the panel of a certificated aircraft? :dunno:

mgkdrgn said:
Hmmm, and just how does one get their "experimental autopilot" signed off for use in the panel of a certificated aircraft? :dunno:

Change the airplane to experimental. I'm sure they had to do that to get all those avionics in there.

I looked up the tail number and it is

Status

Undel Tri
Which stands for Undeliverable Triennial..I think that means the owner hasn't updated/verified the registration information.

I think if you bought this you might as well make it a retractable, upgrade the engine to high performance and add a turbo. THEN you will have a real cherry! :D

Darrell111 said:
I think if you bought this you might as well make it a retractable, upgrade the engine to high performance and add a turbo. THEN you will have a real cherry! :D
Nah. Turbine. Think turbine :D

RotaryWingBob said:

Hmmmm... one of those little jet engines they are using for the Eclipse should fit quite nicely between the main gear.

Joe Williams said:
Hmmmm... one of those little jet engines they are using for the Eclipse should fit quite nicely between the main gear.

LOL! Well if we are going to go to all that much expense, we ought to add JATO too! Maybe even a drag chute for those short fields!

Gary

RotaryWingBob said:

Well you might be on to something but then i think we would have to mount some wing tip tanks for the increased fuel burn or a drop tank under the fuselage.. :p :D

Gary said:
LOL! Well if we are going to go to all that much expense, we ought to add JATO too! Maybe even a drag chute for those short fields!

Gary

AND dont forget a STOL conversion to get OUT of those short fields!

aren't you guys forgetting the pressurized cabin and oxygen system?

Last edited:
jangell said:
Change the airplane to experimental. I'm sure they had to do that to get all those avionics in there.

I looked up the tail number and it is

I assume it's in the experimental category to allow demonstrating or certifying the autopilot. I can't see this being viable for "normal" use.

Frank Browne said:
And why not? It was done to an Ercoup!

Whoooeee! That's some get up and go! Can just image the departure clearances we'd get. "Cherokee ###, cleared for departure, report FL 25 in five minutes" :D

Gary

Gary said:
Whoooeee! That's some get up and go! Can just image the departure clearances we'd get. "Cherokee ###, cleared for departure, report FL 25 in five minutes" :D

Gary

Starting to feel the urge to make some changes to your 140? :D

Joe Williams said:

The possibilities are intriguing! All it takes is time and money. Shoot.. with all those mods I'd even make you a partner! Here to Hatteras.. 15 minutes.. the wife would love it! :yes: Even Anthony and his Tiger would be jealous! (poke at "ugly" airplane thread)

Gary

Joe Williams said:

Something like this perhaps?

2128sc2.jpg

Hey - isn't that the latest PowerFlow exhaust system?:D

lancefisher said:
I assume it's in the experimental category to allow demonstrating or certifying the autopilot. I can't see this being viable for "normal" use.

Oops. I didn't say it was in experimental. I said that it is: Status Undel Tri.

flyersfan31 said:
Hey - isn't that the latest PowerFlow exhaust system?:D

Actually it's the "short stack" version burning nitromethane rather than 100LL.

Frank was kind enough to obliterate my N# to keep it secret since it's not patented yet. Saves all those curious onlookers from asking for rides. If you look closely you can just barely see Joe in the right seat, unfortuately the seatback collapsed about 10 seconds into launch. :D

Gary

...missing Ed's Crap-Gap system.

So, anyone have the slightest idea how they managed to install the experimental autopilot?

Gary said:
Actually it's the "short stack" version burning nitromethane rather than 100LL.

Frank was kind enough to obliterate my N# to keep it secret since it's not patented yet. Saves all those curious onlookers from asking for rides. If you look closely you can just barely see Joe in the right seat, unfortuately the seatback collapsed about 10 seconds into launch. :D

Gary

Cant think of a reason why the flaps need to be down for takeoff ... hmmm interesting.. something looks fishy about this :redface:

But can you log any PIC time in it??

Back