Glass, or Steam?

Thanks Ron. So that must be pretty challenging and I'm assuming you'd have no autopilot under an AHRS failure, right?

How do you simulate that during a lesson, pull the AHRS breakers?

Or is that an instructor's secret I shouldn't know:D

From your avatar looks like you fly a G1000 like I do. One exercise I practice (with another pilot or CFI) is to dim the G1000 PFD/MFD all the way down simulating a complete failure. Then fly a non-precision approach using the backup instruments/compass and something like fore flight.

It actually fun to find out you can fly an approach in the case of a complete failure.

Here's the procedure to do it if you are interested:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G1000System_GuideforDPEsandCFIs.pdf

Frankly, no, compared to flying needle/ball/airspeed in a conventional instrument aircraft. You've still got the backup AI for attitude plus the GPS navigation, directional information, and situational awareness. Beats the heck out of nothing but airspeed, altimeter, TC, VSI, and a VOR.

Correct.

Yes, if possible.

For G1000's, it's easy in a Diamond, as the c/b's are right in front of the instructor (and not where the trainee will see you doing it). Hard in a Cirrus as you're risking charges of sexual assault to reach the c/b's, and even then, it's hard to see which c/b you're pulling. Also, the Cirrus Perspective has dual AHRS, so you have to kill both (realistic? :dunno:) to get to that situation. And Cessna says not to do it by c/b, so you have to come up with an overlay to hang from the comm/nav freq knobs to cover the instruments of interest.

Avidyne is another story. For a Rev7 Avidyne, you better be done with the AHRS for the rest of the flight since once killed, it's dead until you get on the ground for realignment. Not sure about the Rev9 system -- haven't dealt with one yet.

Thanks. I have just under 60 hours in the G1000 172SP. Love the system and still learning a lot. Hope to do my IFR in it, when I eventually start.

From your avatar looks like you fly a G1000 like I do. One exercise I practice (with another pilot or CFI) is to dim the G1000 PFD/MFD all the way down simulating a complete failure. Then fly a non-precision approach using the backup instruments/compass and something like fore flight.

It actually fun to find out you can fly an approach in the case of a complete failure.

Here's the procedure to do it if you are interested:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G1000System_GuideforDPEsandCFIs.pdf

Thanks. Right now I'm just a lone VFR ranger :)

Thanks. Right now I'm just a lone VFR ranger :)

Nothing wrong with that. You can still use the procedure to simulate a total failure and then just practice using the backup instruments flying VFR. Their low location takes some getting used to.

Nothing wrong with that. You can still use the procedure to simulate a total failure and then just practice using the backup instruments flying VFR. Their low location takes some getting used to.

Yeah I think what I'm going to do is get some dual hood time with a CFI and practice some of these things. Since I can't really commit to IFR lessons yet, I would like to learn more about the G1000. That's basically the only thing I fly other than the occasional dual in the Super Decathlon.

Thanks. I have just under 60 hours in the G1000 172SP. Love the system and still learning a lot. Hope to do my IFR in it, when I eventually start.
The more you learn that system now the better your IR training will go. I've dealt with folks who show up to start a 10-day IR course with systems knowledge limited how to turn it on and go Direct/Enter/Enter. Those don't finish in 10 days.

The more you learn that system now the better your IR training will go. I've dealt with folks who show up to start a 10-day IR course with systems knowledge limited how to turn it on and go Direct/Enter/Enter. Those don't finish in 10 days.

Yeah I just checked my logbook. Out of the 60 hrs, only the first 10 are dual. The rest are by my lonesome. Around 30 X/C. (30.9:)) I'm VFR and spend most of my time scanning outside the cockpit.

I'm pretty good with the system but I'm sure that I'm not using it to it's full potential.

The PC trainer has helped a lot.

Last edited:
Frankly, no, compared to flying needle/ball/airspeed in a conventional instrument aircraft. You've still got the backup AI for attitude plus the GPS navigation, directional information, and situational awareness. Beats the heck out of nothing but airspeed, altimeter, TC, VSI, and a VOR.

For G1000's, it's easy in a Diamond, as the c/b's are right in front of the instructor (and not where the trainee will see you doing it). Hard in a Cirrus as you're risking charges of sexual assault to reach the c/b's, and even then, it's hard to see which c/b you're pulling. Also, the Cirrus Perspective has dual AHRS, so you have to kill both (realistic? :dunno:) to get to that situation. And Cessna says not to do it by c/b, so you have to come up with an overlay to hang from the comm/nav freq knobs to cover the instruments of interest.

Avidyne is another story. For a Rev7 Avidyne, you better be done with the AHRS for the rest of the flight since once killed, it's dead until you get on the ground for realignment. Not sure about the Rev9 system -- haven't dealt with one yet.

Not all Perspective systems are dual AHARS. Technically it's an option but almost everyone orders it. R9 is dual by default. Technically you have two identical IFD's. A jumper in the wiring harness locks one into always displaying the AI. If you haven't flown R9 then you should. It is a great example of where the UI should go so that <100 hour per year pilots could get in and quickly come back up to speed. Hitting the PFD key on the IFD acting as MFD makes it look just like the PFD.

It's funny to go through some of the crazy failures CFI's invent when they are stuck in 6 pack think. Fortunately it is getting a lot better. Consider my plane.

"What if alt1 fails?" --- I have a second alternator.
"What if both fail?" ---- there is battery backup for each alternator
"You need to be able to follow the needle based on TC, altimeter and heading." --- Really? I have two IFD's each with its own AHARS, AHRS compare, auto switching in case of a fail (each IFD can use AHRS from other IFD), and a third conventional gyro below the PFD.

Similarly there are independent radios in each IFD.

I am much more concerned with engine failure emergencies and basic flying skills along with staying sharp on system quirks. The last item is what the best CFI's cover and is unique to the particular avionics used. R9 has them and they are very different from the old R7 with Garmin 430w I used before and my old system had a LOT of quirks. UI is not something Garmin is good at.

Some CFIs get caught up in very unrealistic failures. I love dealing with failures, but I try to make it realistic. Too often, CFIs just fail one thing after another. The key is creating failures that are realistic and representative.

Some CFIs get caught up in very unrealistic failures. I love dealing with failures, but I try to make it realistic. Too often, CFIs just fail one thing after another. The key is creating failures that are realistic and representative.
Agreed. Which is why when you're dealing with dual AHRS/ADC's, about the only realistic failure is loss of one display. Anything else is covered by the redundancy. However, anything that is not redundant is fair game for me.

Agreed. Which is why when you're dealing with dual AHRS/ADC's, about the only realistic failure is loss of one display. Anything else is covered by the redundancy. However, anything that is not redundant is fair game for me.

I don't know enough about G1000s (or even G500s) to really do much. But I do know that a failure mode of the Aspen is for it to go "poof" and quit working. :D

Has that ever happened? Simultaneous dual bus failures, dual screen failures, etc?
Bad alternator, battery dies, and in 30 minutes or so so does your standby, and goodbye G1000 and all its components.

Bad alternator, battery dies, and in 30 minutes or so so does your standby, and goodbye G1000 and all its components.

Once the alternator dies (if you don't have two) you run on the main battery until it drops below 20 volts then the standby is good for a minimum of 30 mins after. That's quite a long time if you manage your electricity use, I don't see that as an issue in any reasonable scenario.

Once the alternator dies (if you don't have two) you run on the main battery until it drops below 20 volts then the standby is good for a minimum of 30 mins after. That's quite a long time if you manage your electricity use, I don't see that as an issue in any reasonable scenario.

And certainly no worse than in a steam plane.

In steam, you still need to land. If that's an instrument approach, that requires electricity. If you run out, you're on gauges only. If you run out of power in a G1000 you're on... Gauges only.

It used to be that planes were more similar than not when it came to avionics. That's not true with newer lanes. The c172/182 have a single alternator and bus. The c400 and SR20/22 have dual bus systems with dual alternators. The Avidyne R7 system had an MFD that couldn't act like a PFD and a lighting system for the screen that was lit by a single LED string. Avidyne R9 has the "MFD" able to switch to being a PFD and the lighting uses parallel LED systems so one can fail and the screen remains visible. So it isn't glass vs. 6 pack but rather understanding the failure modes of the specific installation you fly.

I read a great post a few years ago about how pilots have misplaced fears. A pilot flies a plane with dual alternators, dual batteries, dual GPS systems, dual VOR receivers, dual radios, and charts on the screen. The pilot gets a hand held radio since he fears losing the radios and a Garmin 796 to back up the GPS system. What he doesn't do is spend the money on time with an instructor i.e. attack the least reliable system in the plane - the pilot.

Last edited:
Back on topic, is there anyone here who is lamenting the slow death of vacuum systems in planes? If I had an old 6-pack with a vacuum system, my first upgrade would be a battery backed up electric AI. How many pilots are really ready to fly TC and compass in a real emergency situation?

On a related subject, an AI failure on a glass plane is less dangerous than on a 6-pack. The failure mechanism for a vacuum AI is insidious. Unlike training scenarios, where a cover is placed over the AI, the AI slowly rolls. The pilot gets suckered into following it and is often in an unusual attitude when he realizes something is wrong. A glass panel blanks the AI and covers the area with a big red X. I have had this happen and it is easy to transition to the backup AI.

I read a great post a few years ago about how pilots have misplaced fears. A pilot flies a plane with dual alternators, dual batteries, dual GPS systems, dual VOR receivers, dual radios, and charts on the screen. The pilot gets a hand held radio since he fears losing the radios and a Garmin 796 to back up the GPS system. What he doesn't do is spend the money on time with an instructor i.e. attack the least reliable system in the plane - the pilot.

Good point. Many pilots lack in this area.

Speaking of which, I need to take the 310 up for some practice.

Agreed. And you can extend battery life by pulling c/b's including the MFD, #2 nav/GPS, etc, and going with one set of radios and the PFD in reversionary mode. That's a lot better than with a typical steam-gauge plane where a vacuum pump failure (a lot more common than alternator failure, I think) takes away your attitude and heading indicators immediately, leaving you (at least for an hour or so) with less useful instruments remaining than the G1000 planes do when the alternator stops (airspeed/altimeter/VSI/TC vs airspeed/altimeter/backup AI).

Back on topic, is there anyone here who is lamenting the slow death of vacuum systems in planes?
You mean, like lamenting that they aren't disappearing faster? Given all the options we have today for both installed and handheld backup systems, it seems to me that a pilot is very shortsighted if s/he does not have at least a Garmin x96 with the 5-instrument page in the airplane when flying an airplane with no backup to the vacuum system for AI and HI.

If I had an old 6-pack with a vacuum system, my first upgrade would be a battery backed up electric AI.
That would be one choice. Another would be to replace your TC with an electric AI per FAA AC 91-75. That way, you've still got an AI unless you lose both electric and vacuum power. Not an option if you have an S-Tec 20/30 or Century I autopilot, but other than that, it's a very wise choice, not much more expensive than replacing the vacuum AI with an electric one, and gives you more assurance of a working AI for longer if a single failure does occur.

How many pilots are really ready to fly TC and compass in a real emergency situation?
All the ones I train in a 6-pack airplane, but when they come back a year or two later for refresher training or an IPC, it usually takes some time to bring those skills back up to par.

On a related subject, an AI failure on a glass plane is less dangerous than on a 6-pack. The failure mechanism for a vacuum AI is insidious. Unlike training scenarios, where a cover is placed over the AI, the AI slowly rolls. The pilot gets suckered into following it and is often in an unusual attitude when he realizes something is wrong. A glass panel blanks the AI and covers the area with a big red X. I have had this happen and it is easy to transition to the backup AI.
I agree completely. When I give someone an AI/HI failure in flight by covering the instruments in a steam-gauge plane or pulling the AHRS c/b in a single-AHRS glass plane, they make that transition right away. When I do that in the sim, which replicates the insidiousness of a real vacuum failure very nicely, the first time they see it, they usually lose control of the aircraft. The FAA has already said they will not allow a vacuum shut-off valve to be installed in instrument training planes, but the availability of ATD's today makes it very easy to get some training on this in the sim, and very foolish not to if you fly such a plane.

I certainly like redundancy. Having an Aspen, steam, soon to be two installed GPSs and a handheld, I'm happy with my redundancy.

Maybe one of these days I'll learn how to fly.

I certainly like redundancy. Having an Aspen, steam, soon to be two installed GPSs and a handheld, I'm happy with my redundancy.

Maybe one of these days I'll learn how to fly.
One of the main complications in getting your IR with a G1000 or the like is that you have so much more to learn, and you must become not only a competent instrument pilot, but also a competent instrument flight systems manager, and learn to recognize and deal with a whole host of additional possible failure modes. If you haven't done your homework on the system with one of those good interactive G1000 computer-based training courses (not just reading Max Trescott's book), it probably takes an extra two days to get you ready for the ride.

That would be one choice. Another would be to replace your TC with an electric AI per FAA AC 91-75. That way, you've still got an AI unless you lose both electric and vacuum power. Not an option if you have an S-Tec 20/30 or Century I autopilot, but other than that, it's a very wise choice, not much more expensive than replacing the vacuum AI with an electric one, and gives you more assurance of a working AI for longer if a single failure does occur.

That's exactly what I meant except I would go the extra step and get one of the electric AI's that has its own internal backup battery.

That's exactly what I meant except I would go the extra step and get one of the electric AI's that has its own internal backup battery.

I agree wholeheartedly. I would say it's a cheaper alternative to the ideal full up AHRS suite and yet retains a dependable and uncomplicated source of attitude information. Much better alternative to the TC+compass death trap.

I believe those come in non-mechanical format correct? That would be even better.

Belt and suspenders, eh? Then the Castleberry Emergency Power Unit, Model EPU 28-24RMT, is just for you, along with your Castleberry 300-14 SERIES ELECTRIC BACK UP ATTITUDE HORIZON which also incorporates the slip/skid indicator necessary to replace the TC.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/castleberry300.php

Did you get an external backup CDI, too, or just the one incorporated in the PFD?

I have dual IFD's. Each has its own ADAHRS and each can use the ADAHRS of the other. Both can be made to act like a PFD. There is a constant cross check with automatic switching to the good one if one checks bad. Normally each IFD uses its own ADAHRS. Additionally, there is a conventional electric AI on the bolster below the IFD in front of the pilot along with conventional altimeter and airspeed units. The one single point of failure is the pitot-static system.

[edited to add] Oops, just noticed you asked about CDI and not AI. The CDI is only in the IFD's. There is no external backup but each IFD has its own receiver so I effectively still have two independent units.

Last edited:
I have dual IFD's. Each has its own ADAHRS and each can use the ADAHRS of the other. Both can be made to act like a PFD. There is a constant cross check with automatic switching to the good one if one checks bad. Normally each IFD uses its own ADAHRS. Additionally, there is a conventional electric AI on the bolster below the IFD in front of the pilot along with conventional altimeter and airspeed units. The one single point of failure is the pitot-static system.

[edited to add] Oops, just noticed you asked about CDI and not AI. The CDI is only in the IFD's. There is no external backup but each IFD has its own receiver so I effectively still have two independent units.
I haven't dealt with the Rev9 system, but I assume that if one IFD fails, the other goes into a reversionary mode like the G1000 so you still have the HSI available on the remaining IFD. That's better than with the original Rev 7 Entegra where without the optional extra mechanical CDI in the panel, loss of the PFD left you with no GS and no CDI for LOC/VOR -- just the GPS CDI on the internal screen of the 430's.

I haven't dealt with the Rev9 system, but I assume that if one IFD fails, the other goes into a reversionary mode like the G1000 so you still have the HSI available on the remaining IFD. That's better than with the original Rev 7 Entegra where without the optional extra mechanical CDI in the panel, loss of the PFD left you with no GS and no CDI for LOC/VOR -- just the GPS CDI on the internal screen of the 430's.

R9 is different from the G1000 in that both units are exactly the same. That's why they are referred to as IFD's and not PFD and MFD. Along the bottom are keys labeled PFD, FMS, MAP, SYS, CKL. The unit placed in front of the pilot has a jumper set that effectively places it in the mode you get by hitting the PFD button. Press PFD on the other unit and it will look like the "PFD" unit. There are no differences between the units themselves. When in PFD mode you can still display FMS, MAP, SYS and CKL pages along the bottom half. The only thing the "PFD" unit can't do is show an approach plate. I carry an iPad to backup the "MFD" for that.

I love R9 and consider it much easier to stay current on than the G1000. Today I loaded four approaches into a flight plan before taking off. My instructor changed things in flight but that was easy including deleting a procedure turn. There are a few things I don't like but they are minor compared to the G1000.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread on the merits of the question originally asked. I appreciate your help.

I've been away setting up my flight simulator environment and getting my machine configured for such use, so I have not been active in this thread since I created it 20+ days ago.

I'll post some follow-ups in a different thread - I just wanted to say thank you to those who contributed useful information in this thread.

Cheers to You!

The 430/530 will be around for years to come yet, and are probably the best GPSs to know how to operate since you'll find them in about every airplane. The 650/750 will take their place, but you'll see 430/530s for a long time. In fact, we are installing a 430W in our plane to compliment the 530W instead of a 650. Why? I know how to use the 430/530 series very well, and don't want to have a second GPS that operates differently in there. That creates a human factors issue.

Thank you. You actually read the OP and understood very clearly what I was asking and I appreciate that.

I was a bit surprised to read that you decided to recently install the 430W, after Garmin decided to halt the product line (though they have said they will continue technical support). But, after reading your explanation about your comfort level with what you already know, as opposed to adding a unit you are not familiar with, it does seem to make sense.

Thanks again for the on target input.

Good attitude. It tells me you aren't interested in limiting your skills to one model of hi-tech avionics suite. Also, you want to understand "general aviation", not merely avionics.

You are another who actually took the time to read the OP before posting. I appreciate that level of attention to detail.

Correct. I am far more interested in becoming an Aviator, than I am a Pilot. Since I'll be flying Single Pilot VLJ in RVSM, the vast majority of my missions in that particular airframe will be under filed IFR flight plans between FL370 and FL450. So, as a non-military trained civilian Pilot, I don't want, nor do I need to carry a "sloppy" attitude with me into the cockpit.

Therefore, before my real training begins, my goal was to oriented myself to the fundamental procedures associated with properly using Avionics & Instruments in association with Navigation/Approaches/Departures; In-Flight Emergency procedures relative to Electrical/Fire/Decompression/etc.; Ground Maneuvering Operations (Taxing) at busy airports and getting familiar with airport grounds and ATC Communications associated with Standard Instrument Departures/Standard Terminal Arrival Routes).

Getting familiar with creating custom Departures and then communicating with Clearance Delivery (live) who modifies my expectations and plans, then dealing with the mental work necessary to make the proper adjustments before departure, is another goal for me in using the simulator. One of the biggest problems I had to reconcile 20+ years ago when I took the first of the only three (3) flight lessons I've ever had, was how confidently my instructor was able to communicate with ATC while flying the aircraft and giving instruction.

Clearly, communicating with ATC was second nature to that instructor but it took him quite a while back when he was an initial student pilot to get that proficient. My goal is to reduce the time it takes to become that proficient with Procedures and Radio Comms. In order to do that, I had planned to use the flight simulator environment coupled with live ATC in the ZLA ARTCC using PilotEdge integrated with FSX.

So, thank you for understanding what my intentions were and speaking directly to my request for help.

Also, you want to understand "general aviation", not merely avionics.

I call it a Custom Training Program because it is specifically geared to make me proficient, efficient and safe at operating a specific VLJ on continental and intercontinental flights. I've outlined it over two (2) years, so that I can do more than physical flight training. It is a Training & Education Program that I am developing which will consist of an eight (8) day, Monday through Friday with weekends off. I'm giving it that old "college feel" for a specific reason. I performed well in college and I want to replicate that "mood" and "mentality" as much as possible. I was a relentless study & research student and I hope to get back to that having attitude.

Each day will consist of actual flight training, simulator review of the current lesson, simulator orientation of the next actual lesson (a preview of the next actual lesson), some other form of industry exposure and/or historical research, physical exercise, food, personal grooming time and evenings spent with family to remain balanced on what's really important in life. It will be a full-time program. The goal is to become as proficient, efficient and safe an Aviator as I possibly can.

So, use airplanes most appropriate to your ascending levels on the learning curve.

Exactly.

The original idea was to start initial training using an SEL trainer with analog gauges and a conventional radio/comms package.

Within that SEL category, the goal was to gradually increase from Low-Performance to High-Performance airframes, and from High-Wing to Low-Wing airframes. So, I've picked initial trainers such as the C172 and the PA28. Then, the increase in performance comes with the C210 and the A36. It gives me exposure to four (4) different airframes across the Private Pilot, Instrument and Commercial Rating phases - including Fixed Pitch and Constant Speed props.

Within the MEL category, there were two (2) progressive goals I had in mind. Normally Aspirated MEL and Turbine-Prop MEL, again with increases in both aircraft weight and aircraft performance. I thought that the initial normally aspirated Mult-Engine work could be done in the Beechcraft M76 Duchess and the Beechcraft B58 Baron. That would cover the Mult-Engine Rating.

After the Multi-Engine Rating, I would need to move into Turbines and build meaning time on real cross-country missions of significance at higher altitudes, HDA airports elevations and across a wider spectrum of tougher weather conditions and congested airspace. The necessary increase in Weight/Performance/Complexity would come from moving into the Beechcraft C90B and/or B200 for X number of hours (until I felt comfortable with the heavier airframes).

After this Turbo-Prop phase, the Turbofan phase begins for Y number of hours and rounds out the 1,200 to 1,500 hours I will want and need to own and operate the VLJ. In this phase, I am looking to lease either the CJ1 and/or CJ2, as they are both Single Pilot Certified airframes. Both of these aircraft have performance characteristics that are close (not quite) to the VLJ I'll be operating.

The final move will be into the VLJ of choice and given the 1,200 progression over two (2) time with additional industry related education and experience, I hope to be one of the safer VLJ operators out there. That's the plan.

The next eight (8) months will be filled with studying private pilot materials (books and software), studying the FAA Publications related to the private pilot and instrument ratings, third-party publications on general aviation (piloting, navigation and equipment) and familiarization with procedures using a desktop flight simulator.

I'll get the kinesthetics from the actual flight training - which is where one learns how to fly a real airplane. The flight simulator is not for kinesthetics (unless I splurge on a 3-axis/6-degrees of motion RedBird or CAE flight simulator - which I am not going to do now). The flight simulator is for Procedures Orientation.

I could read a book about "How The VOR Works." And, I will read everything I can about such things. I can read a book about an instrument rated pilot telling me of her experience in trusting her instruments as she flies a precision LPV approach with her Dual Garmin GNS530 set-up. I could read a book about what to do when shooting an instrument approach down to minimums, or what to do when you can't find the visual reference required to continue the approach at the DH. And, again - I will read as much of that as I can.

However, the human brain does not care whether or not you are actually shooting a real approach to minimums with no legal visual reference available to continue the approach at the DH. All the human brain cares about is whether or not some event was recorded in memory and HOW that even gets stored in memory.

That's why I am on this forum. To find out what I should be paying attention to while using the flight simulator during that instrument approach, such that I begin to groove good mental habits as method of orientation to those things that I will ultimately learn in my actual flight training.

I'm doing this so that flying a DME arc, or troubleshooting an Electrical problem, or dealing with an Engine failure, or re-tasking the GNS in-flight with different Waypoints, or dealing with the Human Error of having entered the wrong Radio Frequency on the ground just when I need to use it in the air (as just a few examples of many), are not brand new things that my brain has to content with during actual flight training. With the simulator, I can make those mistakes now, learn from them, figure out ways to not make them again and move on to learning other things before the real training starts in eight (8) months.

The only "new" information I want my brain to encounter during actual training, are the kinesthetics of flying a real airplane - not the routine Procedures. With a good well behaved simulator and proper guidance from a CFI/CFII or knowledgeable non-instructor pilots, I can obtain a fairly accurate mental database of procedures (what to do and when to do it in-flight) before the actual training begins on a wide range of topics and issues related to flying, so that most of it won't seem so completely new to me when my instructor(s) deliver their training for the first time on various subjects.

I'm really glad you got that part of my OP. You were one of the few that actually did. Thank you!

If that is your plan, you will save a butt load of money by skipping straight to the last plane, the one that meets your mission, and putting a pro pilot CFII on salary to fly with you the first year or two until you feel comfortable by yourself. You can get all your ratings in the mean time. The FAA now has allowances for having an instructor along on solo flights for bigger more complex aircraft, so that covers the insurance company worries. Not only will you save money in the long run, you will be up to full mission capability from day one. You will also learn to think at jet speeds from day one, so you will be up to speed sooner with all your primacy training learned using jet techniques rather than bug smasher technique, so in an emergency under stress you're less likely to screw up on technique.

Last edited:
I think I'll monitor this thread. The OP has his mind made up about how he wants to proceed in spite of coming to PoA to seek "advice".

Let us know how it turns out for you. You sound like a driven individual.

Best.

The FAA set out to officially decommission all NDB's back in the 70's. That project is still ongoing. Don't expect VOR's to go away for a few decades.

It was my understanding that "HITS In The Sky" was supposed to be available by now as well, and that has yet to happen. I read that some say it never will happen, but I guess at one point LPV approaches probably seemed a bit futuristic, too.

The original question was asked because I wanted to know how seriously the FAA took the matter and what the felt impact would be in the GA fleet in terms of on-board avionics and flight instruments - all relative to my progressive training plans. In other words, my "pre-flight training" (if I can call it that) will include the use of a flight simulator environment using specific aircraft models, specific avionics and instruments, real-time weather simulation (clouds, precipitation, surface winds, winds aloft, HDA effects, etc.) and real-time Air Traffic Control dialogue at Class B/C airports and airspace.

I've got eight (8) months to prepare at home. I want to use that time wisely. That includes studying some of the publications you mentioned (thank you), third-party publications, independent industry, independent aircraft research and using the simulator for procedures orientation and skills development (mental work).

I can set-up the flight simulator to use just about any combination of flight instruments and avionics necessary (within reason), in just about any GA aircraft (within reason). That's why I ask these questions. I want to know what the real world GA training fleet looks like from people that fly it each day - and then set-up my simulator environment accordingly.

If the FAA pulls certain navaids (which they say they are attempting to do, in order to make way for an upgraded and technically advanced airspace system), I wanted to spend my time learning those systems that will actually be in use by the time I arrive at my goal.

All of this is predicated on designing my simulator environment to match my actual flight training environment as closely as technically possible, so that what I'm doing in the real aircraft (working with various navaids/avionics/instruments and using various navdata) is pretty much in-sync with what I'm doing in the simulator environment.

In this way, I can take the flight lesson just given home with me and not simply review notes, but actually fly the lesson over again until I understand the Why & When behind the How To. Flight Instructor are great at giving the student the How To. However, the Why and When are often times lagging and keep the student in a constant state of drastic catch-up during each lesson.

I'm not trying to get out in front of my future lessons, as someone incorrectly assumed.

I'm trying to make my future lessons less stressful, less painful, less mysterious, more substantive, more meaningful, more accurate, more precise and more effective in setting up space inside my brain (memory), so that I can begin to use the actual live training more effectively and more predictably, all because my brain is already familiar with the underlying concepts and the physical procedures.

Whatever is installed in the aircraft in which you are training.

Well, that's the whole point. I'm trying to figure out if the GA training fleet is diverse enough to meet my needs, or whether I will have to change my plans as it relates to training aircraft.

I'm not interested in learning on Glass, just because its cool looking. I want to have deep understanding of the Old School Avionics and Instruments and how to use them in any IFR/IMC or below VFR condition. I want to be proficient with an E6B, when all the lights go out on the nice looking panels. I want to learn how to have good SA and always know my position, whether in the clouds, or on a bright sunny day, when the avionics or the instruments fail. I want to learn how to hard-core instrument approaches withe the bare minimum equipment list for such operations - before - moving on to Glass.

In other words, I care about the Fundamentals. In fact, I am almost tempted to order my VLJ with analogue systems, but I'm not going to do that. It will come with a custom G1000 or G3000 variant and some analogue back-ups. But, I still want to have the hard-core fundamental skills in the bag - no matter what I fly, or where I fly it.

I like Old School. I'm not anti-Old School. I am Old School. I like watching a good solid pilot work an non-precision approach using analogue systems and better judgment as a pilot that he/she took years to develop. I like that stuff.

However, being Single Pilot/RVSM with family on-board in a jet at FL4100 and a thick layer of clouds between my aircraft and the destination airport, is not something I want to play games with. Therefore, I am going to invest in my fundamental education on Avionics, Instruments, Navigation, Flight Planning, Physical Flying Skills, Aircraft Systems, Emergency Procedures, etc., and to take each of them seriously in the process.

Those are listed in the regulations -- 14 CFR 91.205, to be exact.

Thank you. That's the kind of thing I'm asking about.

Depends what's in the plane in which you train, and that should be selected based on what you plan to fly in the future. As a working instrument instructor, I'm happy teaching you in whatever you have, but it's important that you learn the system you do have.

I've got a list of aircraft that I've put together for the purpose of making a gradual and smooth transition during the flight training and time building phases:

SEL (C172, C210, PA28, A36)
MEL (B58, M76)
MEL Turbo-Prop (C441, C90B, B200)
VLJ (CJ1, CJ2)
1200-1400 TT/PIC (65%-70% Turbine PIC)

That should cover the OEM purchase policy for owner/operators, the insurance requirements and, it should add the piece of mind that I'm ready for the next step. I'm not jumping into anything and I'm not rushing into anything. I would not do that as PIC and I'm not going to do that now. This is going to be a deliberately slow and very methodical process. I care about safety and proficiency.

In that case, you should do your training in a G1000 aircraft, and that means learning the G1000 system.

I actually thought about doing that, but what happens if the G1000 CTDs/or crashes to the panel?

Believe it or not, after flying the simulator for just a few times, it became crystal clear to me that I really do need to develop an extremely strong underlying base of knowledge about how the Old School Gauges are supposed to work. So, between the time I made this post and today (20+ days ago), I have concluded that Analogue Gauges will be an extremely important phase of my initial training, without question. Everything I learn there, I can move over to the G1000 when the time comes.

Right now, I'm getting a Centurion T210 and a C90B installed and integrated with a dual 530/430 WAAS set-up. One of these will be a trainer and the other will be a turbine-prop time builder - both will have the same 530/430 configuration, though the AP will be different between the two. I'm also setting up the Mustang I, as the VLJ. There are no "good" CJ1/CJ2 options out there for me to use in the simulator at this time and that meets my avionics/EFIS needs. The Mustang I will have a fairly functional G1000 (as the real aircraft does).

Today, I have a different set of questions for some of you expert pilots out there and I'll create another post for that soon! Some of you have really good knowledge and even better intuition. ;)

Thanks for all the helpful posts. :)

If that is your plan, you will save a butt load of money by skipping straight to the last plane, the one that meets your mission, and putting a pro pilot CFII on salary to fly with you the first year or two until you feel comfortable by yourself.

Jump to CJ1/CJ2. How is that possible?

I care about the way in which I learn, not so much the money. If I were training with the military, then I could see going from something like a T37, to a T38 and then to an F15. But, that's a whole different kind of training regimen. I cannot replicate that on my own - though I wish I could. Even if the instructors were available, the aircraft are not and the environment where such training takes place, would not be easily replicated as well (if at all).

Poke some holes in the aircraft list that I've put together - that's what I need. Show me why those aircraft in that order of progression is less than efficient for one wanting and needing a level of mental comfort and physical skills development necessary to handle single pilot VLJ on continental and intercontinental flight plans.

In other words, go into detail about why those aircraft and that progression schedule is ineffective or unwise, please. Thanks!

You can get all your ratings in the mean time. The FAA now has allowances for having an instructor along on solo flights for bigger more complex aircraft, so that covers the insurance company worries.

If I used this method, would I lose anything relative to understanding the flight dynamics of aircraft at a fundamental level, because I made the hyper-jump straight into a jet, without a military type foundation supporting such training? In other words, if all I know is how the jet handles, will this in anyway stunt my growth to becoming an Aviator with a depth of knowledge and experience as a Pilot?

The experience of flying the C172N in the simulator, was completely different than the experience in flying the Mustang I in the same simulator. Everything was different. Everything in the Mustang happened much faster. I had to think faster, think further out in front of the aircraft, make quick decisions, solve problems faster, etc.

In the C172N I had time. Sometimes, I had nothing but time to figure things out before making a decision. Everything was a lot slower a lot easier to handle. I could take my time and think things through and then make a decision. In the Mustang, I was at 15,000 feet the first time I flew it and did not even realize it, because I was too busy trying to keep up with the avionics and instruments. Had I been using the live ATC, I would have fallen way behind the aircraft and probably lost the flight.

So, what is the real benefit to jumping straight into a very high-performance airframe right off the bat? Please explain.

You will also learn to think at jet speeds from day one, so you will be up to speed sooner with all your primacy training learned using jet techniques rather than bug smasher technique, so in an emergency under stress you're less likely to screw up on technique.

Figuring out how to work the Radios, VOR, HSI, EFIS; managing the aircraft's speed; staying aware of position within controlled airspace; maintaining altitudes and headings, communicating with ATC in Class B, managing all of the other aircraft systems, and trying not to hit anyone or be hit by anyone, etc. Is all that possible for someone without a private pilots license in a real jet? Also, will this kind of training environment make for rapid absorption of the instruction being given?

If I could reasonably cut the training and time building down to one (1) year, that would be great. But, not merely for time sake. I want knowledge and expertise and that takes cycles, revolutions and many instances of seeing the same things over and over again.

I used to play multiple musical instruments as a kid at formal functions. But, it has been years since I played anything and I could not walk into an orchestra today and keep up with those guys. I'd be way behind the sheet of music sitting directly in front of me, always playing catch-up and not playing the actual music.

Give me a really good scenario from start to finish, on how I would start with the CJ1, and progress through private pilot, all the way to jet type rating and be confident enough to fly it Single Pilot around the world. If it is truly possible, then I'll seriously consider it.

I've learned how to do other complex things in life and they all took various degrees of progressive knowledge accumulation through experience and increasing difficulty along the way and that simply took time to accomplish. But, I am wide open for reasonable suggestion!

Thanks.

Jump to CJ1/CJ2. How is that possible?

I care about the way in which I learn, not so much the money. If I were training with the military, then I could see going from something like a T37, to a T38 and then to an F15. But, that's a whole different kind of training regimen. I cannot replicate that on my own - though I wish I could. Even if the instructors were available, the aircraft are not and the environment where such training takes place, would not be easily replicated as well (if at all).

Poke some holes in the aircraft list that I've put together - that's what I need. Show me why those aircraft in that order of progression is less than efficient for one wanting and needing a level of mental comfort and physical skills development necessary to handle single pilot VLJ on continental and intercontinental flight plans.

In other words, go into detail about why those aircraft and that progression schedule is ineffective or unwise, please. Thanks!

If you want a progression of planes to learn in, use a G-36 Bonanza, King Air and then go to the jet. You can learn in whatever you want, that's what instructors are for. With the faster more complex aircraft you will spend more time with the instructor before you are on your own, but that's not a big deal in the long run. The other side of the coin is that you have full mission capability from day one.

BTW, HITS (in the sky subsequent to writing HITS is redundant because HITS stands for Highway In The Sky) is available right now in the G-1000 series avionics which are available in the G-36 Bonanza, the King Air and the Citation. You can learn one set of avionics that covers all three, heck, you could even start in a 172 with that avionics set.

If I used this method, would I lose anything relative to understanding the flight dynamics of aircraft at a fundamental level, because I made the hyper-jump straight into a jet, without a military type foundation supporting such training? In other words, if all I know is how the jet handles, will this in anyway stunt my growth to becoming an Aviator with a depth of knowledge and experience as a Pilot?

No, fundamentals are the same and they are learned on the ground. All you learn in the plane is how to fly the plane. You do get some great advantage learning in the CJ or King Air though because you can take advantage of serious simulator training where you can learn and try things that you wouldn't in a real plane. Sims won't save money, but they will let you learn at the edges of the envelope without mortal risk. You fall off the edge, you crash and reset and try again. Most of the learning of fundamentals you will do will be through reading and ground study regardless of what you are flying. There is no limit on what you can learn, and nothing prohibits you from also renting an aerobatic plane and doing a 10 hour course in it. That will teach you more about fundamentals than doing a PP in a 172.

The experience of flying the C172N in the simulator, was completely different than the experience in flying the Mustang I in the same simulator. Everything was different. Everything in the Mustang happened much faster. I had to think faster, think further out in front of the aircraft, make quick decisions, solve problems faster, etc.

In the C172N I had time. Sometimes, I had nothing but time to figure things out before making a decision. Everything was a lot slower a lot easier to handle. I could take my time and think things through and then make a decision. In the Mustang, I was at 15,000 feet the first time I flew it and did not even realize it, because I was too busy trying to keep up with the avionics and instruments. Had I been using the live ATC, I would have fallen way behind the aircraft and probably lost the flight.

So, what is the real benefit to jumping straight into a very high-performance airframe right off the bat? Please explain.
Yep, at the beginning it'll be busy and the learning curve will be steep, but a good CFI will keep the load manageable and in a little while all that stuff will be 'old hat' and you'll be thinking at speed.

Figuring out how to work the Radios, VOR, HSI, EFIS; managing the aircraft's speed; staying aware of position within controlled airspace; maintaining altitudes and headings, communicating with ATC in Class B, managing all of the other aircraft systems, and trying not to hit anyone or be hit by anyone, etc. Is all that possible for someone without a private pilots license in a real jet? Also, will this kind of training environment make for rapid absorption of the instruction being given?
No, it's not, that's what CFIs are for, to teach you how and keep you safe until you can.

If I could reasonably cut the training and time building down to one (1) year, that would be great. But, not merely for time sake. I want knowledge and expertise and that takes cycles, revolutions and many instances of seeing the same things over and over again.

I used to play multiple musical instruments as a kid at formal functions. But, it has been years since I played anything and I could not walk into an orchestra today and keep up with those guys. I'd be way behind the sheet of music sitting directly in front of me, always playing catch-up and not playing the actual music.

Give me a really good scenario from start to finish, on how I would start with the CJ1, and progress through private pilot, all the way to jet type rating and be confident enough to fly it Single Pilot around the world. If it is truly possible, then I'll seriously consider it.

I've learned how to do other complex things in life and they all took various degrees of progressive knowledge accumulation through experience and increasing difficulty along the way and that simply took time to accomplish. But, I am wide open for reasonable suggestion!

Thanks.

There is nothing from the progression that gets skipped, what you end up doing is eliminating a lot of redundancy of learning details that you will not need in the next aircraft. In my scenario there is NO 'time building' required because you are at full mission capability on day one. This allows you to use the plane as you need a plane at the same moment you are learning to fly. There is no prohibition on going from one place to another during an instruction flight. If you need to be in LA from NYC, that's a cross country in your training log. Not only are you learning to fly from day one, you are learning to fly the plane you need on the mission you need it on. Plus having the instructor pilot on salary means you never have to miss a lesson or flight because your instructor is unavailable.

Last edited:
If you want a progression of planes to learn in, use a G-36 Bonanza, King Air and then go to the jet. You can learn in whatever you want, that's what instructors are for. With the faster more complex aircraft you will spend more time with the instructor before you are on your own, but that's not a big deal in the long run. The other side of the coin is that you have full mission capability from day one.

That's very interesting. My initial string of aircraft was very much in-line with what you are suggesting. A while back ago, I had the line-up as:

A36 (private through commercial)
C441 (multi and turbine-prop time building)
CJ1 (turbine time building and slight step up to final VLJ)

Not that far off your list.

No, fundamentals are the same and they are learned on the ground. All you learn in the plane is how to fly the plane.

Ok, what do you think about using a desktop flight simulator for the purpose of starting the initial process of developing en route navigation, approach and departure, ground maneuvers, in-flight emergency and live ATC radio communications procedures in class B airspace?

What are the differences in the fundamental procedures for entering an IFR flight plan into a GNS unit (for example), as compared to entering that same IFR flight plan on a sheet of paper, and then flying them both using the autopilot from leg to leg:

- Is there more or less pilot workload involved in either?
- Is there more or less skill required for either?
- Is there more or less training time required for either?
- Is there more or less room for the pilot's 'margin of error' in either?
- Is one more precise than the other?
- Does one contribute to a higher level of safety of flight than the other?
- Would the use of flight simulation for either increase pilot effectiveness?

You do get some great advantage learning in the CJ or King Air though because you can take advantage of serious simulator training where you can learn and try things that you wouldn't in a real plane.

The power/off/full flaps stall speed of the C90B is 78 kts. with a four (4) blade prop. The Vmca is 90 kts (same four blade reference). The approach is said to be flown at 184 kts., while the downwind comes in at 148 kts.

Question:

How do you feel about exposing a new student pilot to these higher critical air speeds, at critical low altitudes, as their baseline starting point introduction to general aviation aircraft handling and performance?

Would the new civilian student pilot be placing himself at a disadvantage by not engaging these same phases of flight, at lower initial airspeeds and in aircraft with more docile stalling characteristics at lower altitudes?

Sims won't save money, but they will let you learn at the edges of the envelope without mortal risk. You fall off the edge, you crash and reset and try again.

Can the simulator help make more more efficient and proficient at working important procedures and developing good problem solving skills?

Also, do you see a desktop flight simulator being a decent tool for integrating lesson plans during a real flight training program? By that, I mean working with a flight instructor who uses a training syllabus and then issues homework assignments to be completed in the simulator? In other words, finding out what the simulator 'is good at doing' and using it between lessons to fill the void in the students mind and reduce some stress about not getting the next lesson right because the first lesson had no level of follow-up, clean-up or make-up capacity.

Most of the learning of fundamentals you will do will be through reading and ground study regardless of what you are flying. There is no limit on what you can learn, and nothing prohibits you from also renting an aerobatic plane and doing a 10 hour course in it. That will teach you more about fundamentals than doing a PP in a 172.

A couple things on these excellent points.

The training and time building plan does include Acro Flight Training, after the Commercial Rating and before the Multi-Engine Rating (I just did not mention that fact earlier). I want the Acro, so that I get beyond any remaining fear of non-standard flight attitudes for normal GA aircraft. I want to feel comfortable upside down, sideways, forwards and backwards while the air and know that I have the skills to "right the ship" if/when necessary. I also love aerobatics to boot. This should make the Upset Recovery Training in the VLJ a breeze once I get to that point - I hope.

Second, I love reading books about flying and aviation. I love reading books about the fundamentals flying. But, here's what I've done just recently. It took a book that I have called The Complete Guide to Flight Instruction, by Gregory M. Penglis, turned to page 63 and wrote down the Pitch|Power|Trim numbers that he stipulates for flying the Cessna 172 in the normal phases of flight (take-off, climb, cruise, descent, approach and landing).

To my surprise, after hearing all the talk from simmers about how "accurate" the flight simulator was relative to its flight dynamics, the Cessna 172N flew pretty much spot on the numbers that Gregory, gives in his book:

Take Off: Full Power
Climb: Full Power (w/mixture reductions according to altitude)
Cruise: 2300 rpm
Descend: 2100 rpm (including downwind)
Approach: 1500 rpm
Landing: Idle (at touchdown)

I took this "Micro Lesson" to the simulator and the C172N flew almost spot on those same numbers. But, here's what I found much more interesting. Before, I had the idea of using the Book and the Simulator together, I knew nothing about what the power settings for the C172N and I flew the aircraft in the simulator very erratically.

After using Gregory's Pitch, Power and Trim settings, all of a sudden the little Cessna began flying rock solid stable and well under control. Before, it was erratic and I could barely control it.

This is what got me excited about the prospects. I took information from a book and applied it to the sim and it worked. How many other micro lessons like that can I learn, just by using the simulator?

Furthermore, guess what. I no longer take Pitch, Power and Trim settings for granted. Without official flight instruction, I became aware of the importance of all three for generating a stable aircraft in any phase of flight. This is the kind of stuff I am talking about. I'm not trying to "learn how to fly" a real airplane in the sim. But, I do see the sim as a good mental starting point for developing a procedural mindset when it comes to flying. That's all I'm trying to do.

I want to have certain fundamentals nailed down through an active learning process, before the real stuff begins - because that will free up my brain to better focus on what the instructor is trying to deliver, instead of being worried and confused about missing underlying Mental Awareness of what I should be doing with the aircraft at a very basic and fundamental level.

So, what do you think about using the simulator this way? Not just for pitch/power/trim, but for every aspect of flying that requires some kind of:

- Memory items
- Primary routine process
- Regular pilot action
- Reflex action
- Sub routine process
- Emergency/Troubleshooting process
- Radio communications process (when to talk, what to say, how to say it, etc.)
- Aircraft systems knowledge (where is everything located and how do you use it)
- What does a VASI look like as opposed to a PAPI
- What does the ILS look like on approach
- What should an approach to minimums look like with zero visibility to 500ft
- What does it mean to fly an instrument approach procedure
- What should you expect from the avionics and instruments during an instrument approach procedure
- What should a missed approach look like and what processes are necessary to actually fly one
- etc.
- etc.
- etc.

Can all of these things can be simulated long before the first lesson is given -and- during the actual flight training process, as a way to solidify in the students mind what they 'thought' they just learned. And, to help them ask much better questions of their instructor?

Yep, at the beginning it'll be busy and the learning curve will be steep, but a good CFI will keep the load manageable and in a little while all that stuff will be 'old hat' and you'll be thinking at speed.

I look forward to that day. Could I accelerate that day using the simulator eight (8) months ahead of the actual flight training, if I got some guidance (not necessarily instruction at this level) on what I should be studying inside the simulator environment?

It just seems to me that if you have the option of reading a manual or book and then going out and simulating the environment that you will eventually be learning in, or just reading the books and then day dreaming about what it might be like, you would be far better off doing the study and then simulating what you just read in fairly high fidelity. Am I wrong about that?

No, it's not, that's what CFIs are for, to teach you how and keep you safe until you can.

No, doubt. I want them to do that. But, can I make their job easier by coming to the actual lesson, having at least some mental exposure to the lesson plan for that day, because I've already flown it in the simulator? Won't I have better dialogue with my instructor, if I have seen and experienced the mental side of what they are trying to teach me on the physical side?

There is nothing from the progression that gets skipped, what you end up doing is eliminating a lot of redundancy of learning details that you will not need in the next aircraft. In my scenario there is NO 'time building' required because you are at full mission capability on day one.

That sounds very tempting. No time building required, sounds like music to my ears. It is very alluring, no doubt. It sounds like what you are saying is that because the actual learning process is immersed inside a platform that is closer to the one I'd be using in the final analysis, that the memories that get set-up inside my brain will be tagged with a higher level of residual recall given the deeper meaning behind such a training path. Correct me if I am wrong on that assessment.

This allows you to use the plane as you need a plane at the same moment you are learning to fly. There is no prohibition on going from one place to another during an instruction flight. If you need to be in LA from NYC, that's a cross country in your training log. Not only are you learning to fly from day one, you are learning to fly the plane you need on the mission you need it on. Plus having the instructor pilot on salary means you never have to miss a lesson or flight because your instructor is unavailable.

This sounds very sexy. I mean, it is so enticing to hear that I could make that kind of jump and make it meaningful. However, I'm still stuck with what I know about the other areas of my life and how the complex studies in those areas took time to develop skills, knowledge and expertise.

How do I develop the broad level of knowledge that I'm going after, by locking myself into such a narrow training track?

Let me give one final example.

I read a story some years ago, about a former Tactical Combat Pilot who flew F-18's for a living and then retired from the Navy. Clearly, the pilot was top shelf and of course, he was even Carrier Qualified. So, there was no doubting his skills.

This pilot (sometime after retirement) went out and then flew an L-39 Albatross into the ground and killed himself. The L-39, is a far less capable jet than the Hornet. No one would doubt that fact. You can do a lot more in the F-18, no questions asked. So, what happened.

I talked on the phone years ago, with a former Navy Combat Pilot from a different era. He flew the old Panther F9F off the deck of a Carrier himself for years and had many combat sorties under his belt. He was then doing some work as an L-39 check pilot, back when the FAA required an LOA. He told me about the story and offered his opinion as to what really might have happened.

He said that this former Navy Aviator and Combat Pilot who flew F-18's, did his first high performance training in the T-45 Goshawk and prior to the F-18, spend precious little time flying anything else, certainly not a lot of time in anything with significantly less performance than the Hornet.

He felt that the real problem with the accident CFIT was the pilots familiarity with the Hornets flight envelop vs the relatively much lower flight envelope of the Albatross. He thought that given the details of the NTSB report, knowing what high performance military jets are like, knowing what the L-39 is capable of doing and knowing the low time this particular pilot had in the L-39; that the pilot simply fell too far behind the power curve of the L-39 at too low an altitude and did not have the power he's use to having in the F-18 to recover.

I say this not because I plan on flying an F-18 someday, but because of the point I was trying to make earlier about building up my skills and knowledge from the lower performance ranks, to the higher performance machines in a reasonable and programmatic fashion, such that I develop skill set on top of skill set in a progressive manner.

It is quite possible that the former Hornet driver simply forgot that he did not have tens of thousands of pound of trust to work with, got too low, too slow and too far behind the high alpha curve (high angle of attack + low power setting). In the F-18, no problem - it climbs like a literal rocket from a high alpha condition. Put an L-39 in a high alpha conditions, low to the ground and you've got the makings for some real trouble.

I'd like to be well rounded and well grounded, but well grounded for all the right reasons and not planted in the ground for all the wrong reasons, because I don't really understand or have a grasp of full spectrum aircraft performance at both the low and high performance levels. I hope that makes sense - I took a long time to explain it.

Thanks for the nice input. :)

Last edited:
Back