Glasair III for the win

I'm this guy http://www.yankton.net/river_city/article_f461adb2-009b-11e3-97cc-0019bb2963f4.html

I HATE crawling on wings to get in/out of them. Even worse is having one door and a baggage compartmen that won't hold anything useful or has a tiny door/difficult to load etc.

I fully understand. Your story is inspirational.

You can't beat those Cardinal's for comfort and ease of loading. They're a beautiful plane too. The sexiest high wing in the Cessna lineup imo. :)

...in cruise. They do reduce approach speed significantly.

I built the damn things, I expect less than a 5mph lowering of stall. The building of them isn't worth the benefit. However, they do improve the approach angle so that you can see over the nose better.

I built the damn things, I expect less than a 5mph lowering of stall. The building of them isn't worth the benefit. However, they do improve the approach angle so that you can see over the nose better.
I consider a 5 mph reduction in stall speed (which means a 7 mph reduction in approach speed) significant, but others may feel differently.

My insurance man is kind of freaking out about a GIII. He has not sent me a quote yet, but his first e-mail back about it he said it's going to be hard to place.

My time and experience is a factor. I'm relatively low time (700) and VFR s.e.l. only. I'm grandfathered in on high power aircraft. I have no accidents or squawks on my record.

I don't know if I can pull one off..... I may need more time and an IFR rating wouldn't hurt. I passed the IFR written over two years ago, but chickened out on the check ride. I don't want to fly IFR unless I do it all the time and am completely comfortable with it. Just getting the rating does not create an IFR pilot imo.... :redface:

Somebody holding a gun on you to make you fly in weather you don't like?

My insurance man is kind of freaking out about a GIII. He has not sent me a quote yet, but his first e-mail back about it he said it's going to be hard to place.

My time and experience is a factor. I'm relatively low time (700) and VFR s.e.l. only. I'm grandfathered in on high power aircraft. I have no accidents or squawks on my record.

I don't know if I can pull one off..... I may need more time and an IFR rating wouldn't hurt. I passed the IFR written over two years ago, but chickened out on the check ride. I don't want to fly IFR unless I do it all the time and am completely comfortable with it. Just getting the rating does not create an IFR pilot imo.... :redface:

Somebody holding a gun on you to make you fly in weather you don't like?

No, I just worry that it would give me false confidence and get me in trouble.

I'm no Spring chicken either. Getting instrument rated at 55 and then not doing it hardly never seems like a recipe for disaster in my logical brain. Not my flying brain....

I'm still here, so I figure if it ain't broke .... :dunno:

Last edited:
My IR rating turns 40 this year and I knew from day one that there would be some days I wouldn't use it. I didn't know at the time how much value the rating would create for the flying I was already doing, but once it became apparent there was no question about the wisdom of obtaining the training. But whatever blows your dress.

No, I just worry that it would give me false confidence and get me in trouble.

I'm no Spring chicken either. Getting instrument rated at 55 and then not doing it hardly never seems like a recipe for disaster in my logical brain. Not my flying brain....

I'm still here, so I figure if it ain't broke .... :dunno:

My IR rating turns 40 this year and I knew from day one that there would be some days I wouldn't use it. I didn't know at the time how much value the rating would create for the flying I was already doing, but once it became apparent there was no question about the wisdom of obtaining the training. But whatever blows your dress.

I guess it was passing the written and the reality I would be turned loose to fly IMC started weighing in on me.

Bottom line is, if you think you're not ready, you're not. :redface:

Back