Glasair 3 flight today

Todd Copeland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glasair pilot
I built and fly a glastar. I owned a glasair 1ft, but I've always wanted a glasair 3. I have been building my dream plane for two and a half years now and I will likely be flying it next spring. I want to get in as many as possible and get a little stick time when I can and I got a chance to fly one today at a fly in at your Pa.. It was only my second time in a glasair 3, and I have to tell you, it was amazing! What an airplane, the performance is incredible! Can't wait to fly mine.
Todd

I built and fly a glastar. I owned a glasair 1ft, but I've always wanted a glasair 3. I have been building my dream plane for two and a half years now and I will likely be flying it next spring. I want to get in as many as possible and get a little stick time when I can and I got a chance to fly one today at a fly in at your Pa.. It was only my second time in a glasair 3, and I have to tell you, it was amazing! What an airplane, the performance is incredible! Can't wait to fly mine.
Todd

What did it true out at?

In Iowa, the fastest plane on our field was a Glasair with some crazy-souped-up engine. It was faster than a Swearingen SX-300 by just a few knots -- and THAT is fast!

This one was pretty basic, engine 300hp. Climbed at gross at 2500fpm and we indicated 230knots at 6500 feet flat out. Blast to fly!

Someday I'll have a III. Gotta get rid of the I first though.

I enjoyed my GIFT, but it was nothing like the GIII! I'm looking forward to finishing mine and flying it. The building is quite satisfying but flying it is better!

If I got this right, here is a picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
I am so glad to see these posts. I have been in love with Glasair's for some time now. Although I am a fan of the new design & performance of the III, I'm still in love with the I-FT body style.

Even after 2 years of searching I still have yet to find one that I fit in. So until then, I'm still hunting a Tiger or a Cheetah in it's stead. If any of you hear about a good I-FT, fixed gear trike or taildragger, that will take a 6'2" pilot, you let me know! These are the ones I stare at all the time:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Stoddard-Hamilton-Glasair-I/1351953/L/
http://www.brianneiman.com/Glasair1.htm

Great photo and thanks for sharing your story. We can't wait to see yours completed and airworthy!

Last edited:
I am so glad to see these posts. I have been in love with Glassair's for some time now. Although I am a fan of the new design & performance of the III, I'm still in love with the I-FT body style.

Even after 2 years of searching I still have yet to find one that I fit in. So until then, I'm still hunting a Tiger or a Cheetah in it's stead. If any of you hear about a good I-FT, fixed gear trike or taildragger, that will take a 6'2" pilot, you let me know! These are the ones I stare at all the time:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Stoddard-Hamilton-Glasair-I/1351953/L/
http://www.brianneiman.com/Glasair1.htm

Great photo and thanks for sharing your story. We can't wait to see yours completed and airworthy!

Yeah you won't fit into a I FT. I'm 5' 6" and I'm tight in mine. You'll love the AA-5 series. Had a Traveler and I miss the room it had. Great viz, light controls, good looks, and good cruise speed.

Yeah you won't fit into a I FT. I'm 5' 6" and I'm tight in mine. You'll love the AA-5 series. Had a Traveler and I miss the room it had. Great viz, light controls, good looks, and good cruise speed.

Yes, the Grumman's seem to match my mission perfectly. Well, maybe I'll find a Lancair that I'm not terrified of for a "second" plane later on.

Off to Grumman shop again!! :)

I had the 'fast' AA-5. 1975 model with the new cowl, small tail and light weight. Sorry to say, I was pretty disappointed in the plane. It wouldn't make book numbers for nothing. the book numbers were achieved at ridiculously high RPM, and even at that, it wouldn't make book. I checked the rig, checked the prop, engine tune, mixture but nothing would make much difference.

Good flyers, comfy and great vis but the performance was annoying. My Bo would do book or better performance.

Back