Glareshield material

If you have the original glare shield to recover, you could buy some Tolex. Look on Amazon.com.

JoAnne's Fabrics or a local upholstery shop for Naugahyde or a similar faux leather fabric.

Naugahyde or search for some sort of 4 way stretch vinyl. Using the right adhesive here is critical as the panel gets hot, sun baked etc. I'd look at using 3m 1300L or 1357 contact adhesive.

Maybe consider a vinyl intended for motorcycle seating type applications. They should have some sort of UV resistance in addition to being soft, pliable and easily stretched for easy installation.

Leather, plastic/vinyl leeches solvent through its whole life which is what causes hazing and crazing. Any upholstery shop.

Actually it's the plasticizer, which are phthalate esters. Not a very good solvent but essential to keeping the vinyl flexible. It's also the thing that causes the "new car smell."

I wouldn't use either 1300 or 1357. both are designed to bond neoprene and other rubbers. Most naugahyde comes with a fabric backing, I'd use the 3m auto headliner adhesive (38808).

I had mine recovered and the A/P used the material used to make BMW convertible tops (Stayfast???). Nice look and u/v resistant.....

Last edited:
Back