Glare/Starbursts around bright lights. Can you see them?

I can see...

• Starbursts and Glare (worst than the examples)

• Starbursts and Glare (like the examples)

• Starbursts and Glare (not as bad as the examples)

• Glare

• None of them

Results are only viewable after voting.

darkself

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
darKself-
So, I was talking to a friend that says he can't see it (like in some videos), however, my brother assume me he can (he has -0.5 myopia). After some research it seems like people with refractive errors, laser surgery complications or cataracts see them.

The thing is, I had myopia after I got it fixed by LASIK in 2018. I can definitely see it but I thought it was "normal"/the majority of people could see it.

I currently have my PPL and a medical class one (got it after LASIK) and I'm studying ATPL theory in order to get my CPL in the future. However, the fact that candidates that see glare/starbursts after LASIK may be considered unfit to class one is making me a little bit concerned.

Can you guys see it? Is it normal?

Examples:

QzdRJW0.jpg

Glare around street lights

aug-29-2019-15-54-28-1567108670.gif

Starbursts around plane landing gear lights at night. Can see it around other really bright light aswell (for example, some white factory lights).

YHWigZE.jpg

This one is really accurate. Can see it like that around runway aproach lights. Taxiway lights look normal (without glare/starburst).

I see it. I also tend to get a double image when I look at a bright moon, where I sorta see two moons (I say "sorta" because I see two edges to the moon, not two distinct moons). Yet, I also have fantastic vision and have always been able to out-spot traffic with anyone I fly, so if this is a problem, I'll keep it to myself otherwise.

I see it. I also tend to get a double image when I look at a bright moon, where I sorta see two moons (I say "sorta" because I see two edges to the moon, not two distinct moons). Yet, I also have fantastic vision and have always been able to out-spot traffic with anyone I fly, so if this is a problem, I'll keep it to myself otherwise.

Yeah I have perfect vision aswell (especially during the day). At night I would say I can see well, but sometimes the starbursts are annoying. Moon looks normal to me (edges well defined, only "one moon").

I realized that 80% of the starbursts and glare go away when I use polarized sunglasses (tested it lol). But obviously I'm not piloting with sunglasses at night.

Hi.
What airport?
Do you know if they changed to LEDs?
Some of the new LED lights on the cars, stop lights... are horrible for that . The cheap manufacturers never figured out how to disperse / soften the effect.
I do Not see them at the airports I fly from but I Do see them on some, mainly foreign cars and I give them some of my typical feedback, I have a real / older car that has 4 headlights and when I turn them on they can read their newspapers in their car, and then I go around them. I despise these new foreign cars type of lights and it is likely they will never be fixed.
It was a terrible mistake when US allowed the foreigners to dictate and accept these type of lights on our cars.

Common side effect of lasik, prk and other types of those surgeries. Probably the main reason I didn't have it done, even though I was a "good candidate". When my doc pitched it to me and told me that, I noticed he was wearing glasses. I told him after he had it done I would consider it. He told me a story about how he works in close and his near sightedness helps him with his work. I just said give me a call when you get it done. He finally did get one eye done, but not the other, at least as of the last time I spoke with him. While I hate glasses, I'm ok with my decision.

As a side note, all those lights in your picture are very bright so you shouldn't look directly at them anyway. But I do understand that it can be an issue. Two of my neighbors had it done, and it is bad enough that they don't like to drive at night.

Yeah I have perfect vision aswell (especially during the day). At night I would say I can see well, but sometimes the starbursts are annoying. Moon looks normal to me (edges well defined, only "one moon").
Hi.
What airport?
Do you know if they changed to LEDs?
Some of the new LED lights on the cars, stop lights... are horrible for that . The cheap manufacturers never figured out how to disperse / soften the effect.
I do Not see them at the airports I fly from but I Do see them on some, mainly foreign cars and I give them some of my typical feedback, I have a real / older car that has 4 headlights and when I turn them on they can read their newspapers in their car, and then I go around them. I despise these new foreign cars type of lights and it is likely they will never be fixed.
It was a terrible mistake when US allowed the foreigners to dictate and accept these type of lights on our cars.

I live in Europe and I can definitely see it around car headlights aswell. And yes, some of them are much worst than the others (bikes are the worst imo).

Btw the airport where I checked it was OPO (Portugal). I don't know if they changed the lights.

Common side effect of lasik, prk and other types of those surgeries. Probably the main reason I didn't have it done, even though I was a "good candidate". When my doc pitched it to me and told me that, I noticed he was wearing glasses. I told him after he had it done I would consider it. He told me a story about how he works in close and his near sightedness helps him with his work. I just said give me a call when you get it done. He finally did get one eye done, but not the other, at least as of the last time I spoke with him. While I hate glasses, I'm ok with my decision.

As a side note, all those lights in your picture are very bright so you shouldn't look directly at them anyway. But I do understand that it can be an issue. Two of my neighbors had it done, and it is bad enough that they don't like to drive at night.

I can drive safely at night. But yeah there are starbursts and starbursts.

P.S. I can see the starbursts even when I don't look directly at the lights.

I live in Europe and I can definitely see it around car headlights aswell. And yes, some of them are much worst than the others (bikes are the worst imo).

Btw the airport where I checked it was OPO (Portugal). I don't know if they changed the lights.

I can drive safely at night. But yeah there are starbursts and starbursts.

P.S. I can see the starbursts even when I don't look directly at the lights.

The question is, did they tell you that could happen. I understand it to be worse if you have large pupils where in the dark they are at the edge or beyond the correction.

Edit: And what does your doc say about it. Sometimes it can be fixed.

The question is, did they tell you that could happen. I understand it to be worse if you have large pupils where in the dark they are at the edge or beyond the correction.

Edit: And what does your doc say about it. Sometimes it can be fixed.

I didn't talk to him about that yet. I'm afraid I he can add it to my medical record or something like that.

November 2018, LASIK

Apparently I was an "excelent candidate" but I still see it. :/

Hmmm, I'm no expert, but maybe your doc can help.

My caution actually came from inquiring about radial keratotomy when I was a kid, that's the manual version and precursor of Lasik. My dad brought me to our ophthalmologist who sat me down and told me the issues with that process, which was basically a non-precision version of Lasik. He talked about starbursts and weakening of the eye, then talked about the alternative, glasses which has no risk. He made quite an impression on me, laser surgery was a dream back then.

I hope you get this figured out.

November 2018, LASIK
Ghosting/starbursts/halos = astigmatism.

Nope.

I mean, I know astigmatism causes it, but I don't have it.
For example, I believe people with astigmatism see a level of glare/ghosting when they are looking at cars tail lamps. I don't see any of them. Car tail lamps are perfect to me.

By glare/ghosting I mean this (circles):

image-2.jpeg

Depending on what study you believe, anywhere from 5 to 10 percent of the population over 40 has Fuchs' dystrophy. That can cause halos, glare, etc.

Depending on what study you believe, anywhere from 5 to 10 percent of the population over 40 has Fuchs' dystrophy. That can cause halos, glare, etc.

I'm only 23. Feels bad.

It isn't that.

Btw, just found some accurate images (wrote mild startbursts because some starbursts are MUCH worst, however 80% are like that):
xqwzVE6.png

Q4wKEGF.png

The darker, the more accurate it is.

The worst starburst I can see is like the plane on OP pic.

Last edited:
Higher Order Aberrations can be caused by several things, most of which are due to eyes not being perfectly spherical. Like, I don’t know, maybe various degrees of astigmatism? ;) Ghosting/diplopia, halos, starbursts, etc. are attributable to different surgical procedures as well as physical developments, genetics, and excessive alcohol consumption, also.

I’m just relieved that the OP knows all of the things that are not causing his poor eyesight. I can’t wait for the big reveal! :)

Higher Order Aberrations can be caused by several things, most of which are due to eyes not being perfectly spherical. Like, I don’t know, maybe various degrees of astigmatism? ;) Ghosting/diplopia, halos, starbursts, etc. are attributable to different surgical procedures as well as physical developments, genetics, and excessive alcohol consumption, also.

I’m just relieved that the OP knows all of the things that are not causing his poor eyesight. I can’t wait for the big reveal! :)

There is no big reveal, sorry to dissapoint.

I have no astigmatism, and I dont drink.
It can be two things: Dry Eyes and Irregular surface of the cornea (caused by the surgery).

There is no big reveal, sorry to dissapoint.

I have no astigmatism, and I dont drink.
It can be two things: Dry Eyes and Irregular surface of the cornea (caused by the surgery).

Posterior vitreous detachment can cause some of this, more fuzzy glare than starbursts, especially if this is of sudden onset and seems variable (sometimes better, sometimes worse), but not likely at your young age. Nevertheless if this has not been stable or not yet fully investigated I’d see an ophthalmologist pretty quick.

Dry eyes can do it too but you would usually have other symptoms (chronic discomfort).

Not a doctor but have first hand experience in both these.

Posterior vitreous detachment can cause some of this, more fuzzy glare than starbursts, especially if this is of sudden onset and seems variable (sometimes better, sometimes worse), but not likely at your young age. Nevertheless if this has not been stable or not yet fully investigated I’d see an ophthalmologist pretty quick.

Dry eyes can do it too but you would usually have other symptoms (chronic discomfort).

Not a doctor but have first hand experience in both these.

I have it (chronic discomfort).

A few months ago my right eye vision was getting blurred (a lot...). I tried artificial tear drops but it wasn't helping at all. After monthsI went to the doctor and he told me everything was fine and I was seeing above average (20/15). Didn't talk to him about the starbursts.

After some research I realized that the poblem could be the quality of the tear film, so I tried to improve it with Omega 3 intake (just to try, with no expectations). It solved the problem in 3 days. Despite that, I still have some level of discomfort (I always had, I remember using contact lenses, before the surgery, was a pain). I don't know if the starburts could be mix between a mild surgery complication with increased symptoms due to dry eyes.

Last edited:
I have it.

A few months ago my right eye vision was getting blurred (a lot...). I tried artificial tear drops but it wasn't helping at all. After monthsI went to the doctor and he told me everything was fine and I was seeing above average (20/15). Didn't talk to him about the starbursts.

After some research I realized that the poblem could be the quality of the tear film, so I tried to improve it with Omega 3 intake (just to try, with no expectations). It solved the problem in 3 days. Despite that, I still have some level of discomfort (I always had, I remember using contact lenses, before the surgery, was a pain). I don't know if the starburts could be mix between a mild surgery complication with increased symptoms due to dry eyes.

If you don’t mind my asking how much Omega 3 do you take? I’m probably going to order some Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil (Omega 3s) and see if it helps. The liquid tastes good and dose is adjustable. Although my dry eye is not so bad this time of year when it’s so humid, I might not know if it works until the fall. Mine is a combination of autoimmune disease and age related lack of moisture (I’m not as young as I look.)

The dry eye leads to bouts of conjunctivitis and maybe mild keratitis which can cause the blurry vision. In fact these exact dry eye symptoms covered my recent PVD symptoms and caused me to delay going to the retina guy for over a week. I assumed the glare was dry eye when it was PVD and dry eye; you can have more than one thing happening at a time, and the dry eye was chronic. I treated “it” with prescription drops for a week (like I have before) before realizing that this time was different, the problem was inside the globe not just on the surface, the drops weren’t helping much. It turned out I did have a retinal tear that needed fixing but it was not too late and my vision is saved. But I still kicked myself in the butt for such a long delay recognizing what it was.

But none of that is the kind of starbursts that have radial lines like in some of your pictures, all of mine is just dissipated fog, if that makes sense. Makes the glare around lights. Does not impact my acuity, I’m still 20/20. It’s just like I’m looking at it through white fog.

If you don’t mind my asking how much Omega 3 do you take? I’m probably going to order some Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil (Omega 3s) and see if it helps. The liquid tastes good and dose is adjustable. Although my dry eye is not so bad this time of year when it’s so humid, I might not know if it works until the fall. Mine is a combination of autoimmune disease and age related lack of moisture (I’m not as young as I look.)

The dry eye leads to bouts of conjunctivitis and maybe mild keratitis which can cause the blurry vision. In fact these exact dry eye symptoms covered my recent PVD symptoms and caused me to delay going to the retina guy for over a week. I assumed the glare was dry eye when it was PVD and dry eye; you can have more than one thing happening at a time, and the dry eye was chronic. I treated “it” with prescription drops for a week (like I have before) before realizing that this time was different, the problem was inside the globe not just on the surface, the drops weren’t helping much. It turned out I did have a retinal tear that needed fixing but it was not too late and my vision is saved. But I still kicked myself in the butt for such a long delay recognizing what it was.

But none of that is the kind of starbursts that have radial lines like in some of your pictures, all of mine is just dissipated fog, if that makes sense. Makes the glare around lights. Does not impact my acuity, I’m still 20/20. It’s just like I’m looking at it through white fog.

I'm taking 4000mg/day total (1600mg EPA, 1200mg DHA). Some studies show that it helps and it definitely did in my case (no more blurred vision, glare decreased, startbursts still here). The thing is, it works by improving your tear film quality (increases the lipid part of the tear), so it may not help you in the problem is "inside the globe".

One thing that I noticed (before taking omega 3) was that after I wake up my vision was normal. Then, after 1-2 hours it was blurred (right eye) and nothig that i was trying was improving it (not even artificial tear drops). However if I took a ~2hr nap, my vision would improve. If I used tear drops and kept my eyes closed for about 15 minutes it would help aswell (I believe it was because your eyelids won't let the "tears" evaporate that way).

"But none of that is the kind of starbursts that have radial lines like in some of your pictures, all of mine is just dissipated fog" so it seems like it is a glare, not starbursts.

P.S. One thing that I noticed right now is that if I force myself to cry (I know, strong acting skills...) my starbursts/glare decrease a little bit (nothing too crazy). Same doesn't happen when I use artificial tears.

I'm taking 4000mg/day total (1600mg EPA, 1200mg DHA). Some studies show that it helps and it definitely did in my case (no more blurred vision, glare decreased, startbursts still here). The thing is, it works by improving your tear film quality (increases the lipid part of the tear), so it may not help you in the problem is "inside the globe".

One thing that I noticed (before taking omega 3) was that after I wake up my vision was normal. Then, after 1-2 hours it was blurred (right eye) and nothig that i was trying was improving it (not even artificial tear drops). However if I took a ~2hr nap, my vision would improve. If I used tear drops and kept my eyes closed for about 15 minutes it would help aswell (I believe it was because your eyelids won't let the "tears" evaporate that way).

"But none of that is the kind of starbursts that have radial lines like in some of your pictures, all of mine is just dissipated fog" so it seems like it is a glare, not starbursts.

P.S. One thing that I noticed right now is that if I force myself to cry (I know, strong acting skills...) my starbursts/glare decrease a little bit (nothing too crazy). Same doesn't happen when I use artificial tears.

No it won’t help the “inside the globe” part at all. That is gradually going away with time. I don’t know if your body dissolves it or it just settles down out of the way by gravity. I’m going to try to remember to ask the doctor at my followup next month. I think what that is is the boundary between the posterior vitreous jelly and the fluid that forms behind it, as light passes through it’s distorted before it hits the retina. It moves all around and is a mess for a while but gradually goes away. It happened in my other eye years ago (which is why I should have thought of it immediately, kick!) and now it’s all gone in that eye although I still have floaters (another thing altogether) and a cataract, ha! So, glare in that eye too.

I expect the omega 3 will only help the dry eye which indirectly helps the glare by preventing (kerato)conjunctivitis, or, yes, just the surface.

Hot wet compresses help the dry eye a lot, just very hot water on a rag held against my (closed) eye for a few minutes before bed. I think that helps the lubricant flow better (the lipid part you reference).

Another test: There is a small blue light on my computer tower (wireless connection light) and I can definitely see a small startburst around it if my room is dark enough. Tried to use some artificial eye drops (3-4 each eye) blinked a few times and looked at it. There was no starburst (well, there was, but much much smaller. Almost imperceptible). 10-20 seconds later the starburst apperared again.

Didn't try streetlights yet. Gonna check it tomorrow.

Not a doctor. Have had lasik, 10+ years ago. I've had minor halos on very bright objects, always. To the point that I don't even notice them. I'm 20/20 corrected, and have no trouble driving or flying, night or day. Maybe not everyone sees them, or perhaps they do and their brain just removes them. I think it's normal, or as normal as being left handed. (Unconscious visual processing is a thing. People don't notice their own blind spots.) If it's JUST the glare/starburst, and it doesn't change, I think you may be over thinking this. That said, I echo other people about getting it checked, especially if you have other symptoms. Retina problems are incredibly serious, but may be easily treatable if caught early.

Not a doctor. Have had lasik, 10+ years ago. I've had minor halos on very bright objects, always. To the point that I don't even notice them. I'm 20/20 corrected, and have no trouble driving or flying, night or day. Maybe not everyone sees them, or perhaps they do and their brain just removes them. I think it's normal, or as normal as being left handed. (Unconscious visual processing is a thing. People don't notice their own blind spots.) If it's JUST the glare/starburst, and it doesn't change, I think you may be over thinking this. That said, I echo other people about getting it checked, especially if you have other symptoms. Retina problems are incredibly serious, but may be easily treatable if caught early.

Checked 4 months ago. No other problems.

"minor halos on very bright objects" used to see them before surgery aswell. But it gotta be a really bright light and it wasn't nothing crazy (as far as I can remember). Now I can see it around streetlightsS:

I'm taking 4000mg/day total (1600mg EPA, 1200mg DHA). Some studies show that it helps and it definitely did in my case (no more blurred vision, glare decreased, startbursts still here). The thing is, it works by improving your tear film quality (increases the lipid part of the tear),

I just want to report back about the Omega-3 and dry eye. I’ve been taking it for about two weeks now and knock on wood, it is helping a lot. I am noticing a big difference. I am not going to get too excited until we get through the winter with the dry indoor air. But for now my eyes are much better.

I’m taking Barlean’s Ultra EPA-DHA. It says 1300mg on the bottle but that’s per serving and a serving is 2 softgels. So I’m taking 6 a day total 3900mg (2361mg EPA, 1182mg DHA).

I see some Starbursts and glare as well but I assumed it was normal and that everybody could see that, you will notice the effect replicated in cartoons and in movies also.. I just assumed that it had something to do with the behavior of light

As noted above I find that general eye moisture and contact lens quality have an effect on it

PVD caused some visual changes for me, but nothing that I'd consider to be a problem. There were some floaters but they went away as the detached stuff was absorbed. Dry eyes is an annoyance and seems to be related to how much water I drink/hydrated I am.

I was recommended omega-3 supplements by a 9-11 provider, but didn't do much to follow up on that. I'll have to give it a try now. I do get dry eyes, but generally attributed that to long hours on the computer for work. Drinking water helps, but not much.

Another update since the weather has changed, the air is drier and I’ve had to run the heat.

Before, I was getting so much relief I stopped using the artificial tears completely. My eyes were an estimated 95% better.

Now with the drier weather they are maybe only 70% more comfortable. I’ve had to go back to using the drops once in a while. Still much better than before starting the omega3. I have switched brands to Nordic Naturals and upped the dose to 5000 a day on the advice of one of my doctors.

This still isn’t proof the Omega3s work. My dry eye is partly autoimmune and autoimmune attacks can come and go randomly. However, if I get through a whole year without getting a bout of secondary infection and having to use the antibiotic/ steroid drops then I’ll be sold. In the meantime the fish oil is expensive, but if it’s what is causing the improvement, well worth it. Dry eye is a major QOL issue.

Back