Glare Shield Refurb

Fast n' Furious

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iJustLanded
My Mooney will be getting new paint and interior fairly soon and one of the other things I'd like to do is refurb, not necessarily replace, the glare shield. Sadly, the one that is installed had a crack in it that was repaired in a less than aethetically appealling manner and after thinking about it a new one doesn't really thrill me either. I'm thinking I'd like to have the thing repaired BUT covered with a durable leather like the dashboard of a nice car. Like the one I sold to pay for refurbing the airplane but that's another story. Anyway, does anyone have any personal expereince with doing this type of thing and who did the work for you? Thank you.

Check out Airtex. They sell aircraft interiors and kits.. I purchased from them a vinyl material that is used to recover the glare shield. I wish I could give you the part # but don’t have it. It is a very flat black ( non reflective) black vinyl that has a slight stretch to it so it installs very nice. If you call them and describe it I think they will know what you need. Good luck..
J.

http://www.airtexinteriors.com/

This is a simple field approval in my opinion. If you cover it say with leather and have a burn certification for the leather it would be acceptable. Attach the burn certification to the a form 337with the ICA and have your local A&P/IA submit it to the FSDO for approval. Change in material is cover in FAR 21.303.

Stache

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. Gonna do it....just not sure by which means yet.

John, I never repaired a glare shield but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. May I suggest a fine Corinthian Leather. Mr. Montleban just loves it. ( only if it passes the burn test of course)

Yes, thank you too Adam for your design and styling tips. I should mention that pink tuck and roll really accents the orange dingle balls and electric green fuzzy dice in your AMC Gremlin. What ever did you do with the little dog you once had in the back window? What was her name.....Amber? :rofl:

The leather will pass the burn test. I have never seen leather fail a burn certification.

If I may suggest going to a aviation shop for the install and not a auto detail shop. Auto detail shops have no idea on how to install materals to meet the CAR-3, FAR 23 or FAR 25 rules as far as glues, stiching and tread goes. However you can have a auto shop perform the work under the direct supervision of an A&P in accordance with FAR 43.9.

Remember if you install different material than what was installed from the factory it will require a field approval before cutting any materail. I just saw a BE-35 that had all the interior redone in Texas and was a class act. I am not sure how the white leather will hold up, but it smelled nice. The workmanship was first rate.

Stache

JRitt said:
Post step by step photos when you do it
I was lucky. Larry Byerly's old interior guy setup an automotive shop on his own. He knew where to get the documentation, the vertical burn test, the flame test, and it was signed off by the IA.

I took mine to the local auto upholstery shop. They made me a new one to match the old one. I gave the guy approved fire retardent I bought from spruce and had him treat the materials first. Total cost was something like $100.

Back