GJT to DEN

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
What's the best route for a small single engine plane to get from GJT to the Denver area? Lotsa big mountains in the area! Doesn't have to be even remotely direct if there's a route that goes well south or north before turning east again.
Thanks
DW

For more info, click on http://www.coloradopilots.org, then open "Mountain Flying" selection on left, click on "Moutain Passes" and at the top of the page under Commonly Flown Mountain Passes you'll see "Click here for map" ... click it.

Depends somewhat on what you're flying and how high you're willing to go. If you can do 12,500+ for 15 minutes or so you can pretty much follow the Colorado river up to Granby (GNB) and then turn south and climb for Corona or Berthod Pass then drop into the Denver area. If you need to stay under 12,000 you can go north at Kremmling (20V) across Northpark and cross a little south of the Wyoming line. Or you can turn south at Minturn (Vail) and go over Tennesee Pass (10,424), past Leadville turn back east at Buena Vista (7V1) across South Park and follow the South Platte into Denver. Might depend on where in Denver your headed.

You can't get here from there.

TMetzinger said:
1. Disassemble plane.
2. Put plane on Truck.
3. Drive to Denver.
4. Reassemble plane.

And that way you can say the plane traveled "through" the mountains (Eisenhower tunnel, that is)

ejensen said:
Depends somewhat on what you're flying and how high you're willing to go. If you can do 12,500+ for 15 minutes or so you can pretty much follow the Colorado river up to Granby (GNB )and then turn south and climb for Corona or Berthod Pass then drop into the Denver area. If you need to stay under 12,000 you can go north at Kremmling (20V) across Northpark and cross a little south of the Wyoming line. Or you can turn south at Minturn (Vail) and go over Tennesee Pass (10,424), past Leadville turn back east at Buena Vista (7V1) across South Park and follow the South Platte into Denver. Might depend on where in Denver your headed.
Yep, these are the primary (and beautiful) choices. They have minor variations, such as you can head east to Corona (Rollins) pass from Kremmling as well as Granby.

The more important question is, David, what are you flying and how much do you know about flying in terrain like this and high altitude operations for the airplane you will be flying?

midlifeflyer said:
Yep, these are the primary (and beautiful) choices. They have minor variations, such as you can head east to Corona (Rollins) pass from Kremmling as well as Granby.

The more important question is, David, what are you flying and how much do you know about flying in terrain like this and high altitude operations for the airplane you will be flying?
No plans yet, and I don't know what the plane would be. I'm anticipating doing some ferry work, and a few flights have been from San Fran to points east. I know I could go well south, but I just thought I'd see what was out there from GJT to DEN. I have a bit of mountain flying experience and I feel pretty comfortable doing it.

deafsound said:
I have a bit of mountain flying experience and I feel pretty comfortable doing it.
Then you should be okay. Fly early in the day (lots of convective activity tends to build in the hot afternoons). If you look at the charts, you'll see you can treat those routes Eric gave you as alternatives.

Back