Gila Bend AF Aux (KGXF)

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Silly question, but there is an AirForce Aux field right next to Gila Bend Municipal (E63). The AF Aux field tower is operated by NOTAM. They are open today until 23:30.

So if you wanted to land at E63 today you would need to contact The AF AUX tower correct? The Class D extends almost over E63.

That's really just a field that is available if anyone has an emergency over the Barry Goldwater range. Note the box which states: Military and Emergency aircraft only.

Edit: Nevermind. I've been there and never talked to anyone.

Last edited:
Having said that, just up to the NE about a couple miles is some of the cheapest low lead in the state. Watch out for all the power lines.

I really should clarify. I've never been the the military auxiliary field. (GXF) I've been to Gila Bend (E63)a couple of times (cheap gas and nothing else....really, nothing else) but I never talked to any controller at the aux field. Never needed to.

I was wondering about that too. The KGXF Class Delta is half a mile from the approach end of E63 runway 4, which is designated as the "calm wind" runway. If going into E63 when the KGXF Delta is active, is it a good idea to check in with KGXF lest one accidentally nick the Delta boundary?

I was wondering about that too. The KGXF Class Delta is half a mile from the approach end of E63 runway 4, which is designated as the "calm wind" runway. If going into E63 when the KGXF Delta is active, is it a good idea to check in with KGXF lest one accidentally nick the Delta boundary?

Yea I wanna fly there today...might just call them up in case tell them I want to land at Gila Bend

I suppose that if the tower is manned they would be pretty bored just waiting on an emergency. You could call them if you want to just to say hey.

I suppose that if the tower is manned they would be pretty bored just waiting on an emergency. You could call them if you want to just to say hey.

I thought I read in the NOTAM that KC130s are practicing out of there

Today....like right now? Its over 100 degrees. :confused:

Yep gotta build time! Actually after 5:30 even though it’s hot it usually isn’t super bumpy. Monday was actually quite smooth

Last time I flew into the municipal there with the aux active, I spoke with them and they said they like people to stay north of the highway when landing at muni.

Agreed, good price on fuel and not much else at the airport.

Well today was a great day. Flew over Glendale, Goodyear, and then onto Gila Bend. Called up the Aux field told them I was landing Gila Bend Runway 22. They gave me the altimeter setting, winds, and told me to stay north of the highway. Gila Bend was dead as normal. Took off, headed towards Stanfield and shot the VOR/DME RWY 5 into Coolidge. Circle to land 23. Took off from there and flew past the Superstitions, over Red Mountain, over Fountain Hills, over the foothills of the McDowell Mountains, over Scottsdale, and back to Deer Valley. Topped the day off with a burger from In-N-Out and a Coors Light. Ahh yeaaaa! Feels good to be young.

195 hours. Lots more to go.

IMG_2820.JPG IMG_2822.JPG IMG_2823.JPG IMG_2824.JPG IMG_2826.JPG IMG_2827.JPG IMG_2828.JPG IMG_2829.JPG IMG_2830.JPG

Last edited:
Well today was a great day. Flew over Glendale, Goodyear, and then onto Gila Bend. Called up the Aux field told them I was landing Gila Bend Runway 22. They gave me the altimeter setting, winds, and told me to stay north of the highway. This made making left traffic 22 impossible since the highway is right there, so I made right traffic for 22. Gila Bend was dead as normal. Took off, headed towards Stanfield and shot the VOR/DME RWY 5 into Coolidge. Circle to land 23. Took off from there and flew past the Superstitions, over Red Mountain, over Fountain Hills, over the foothills of the McDowell Mountains, over Scottsdale, and back to Deer Valley. Topped the day off with a burger from In-N-Out and a Coors Light. Ahh yeaaaa! Feels good to be young.

View attachment 62807 View attachment 62808 View attachment 62809 View attachment 62810 View attachment 62811 View attachment 62812 View attachment 62813 View attachment 62814 View attachment 62815

Runway four and runway two two are both left traffic.

Highway eight is more than two miles from the departure end of runway two two.

Cheers

Last edited:
Well today was a great day. Flew over Glendale, Goodyear, and then onto Gila Bend. Called up the Aux field told them I was landing Gila Bend Runway 22. They gave me the altimeter setting, winds, and told me to stay north of the highway. This made making left traffic 22 impossible since the highway is right there, so I made right traffic for 22. Gila Bend was dead as normal. Took off, headed towards Stanfield and shot the VOR/DME RWY 5 into Coolidge. Circle to land 23. Took off from there and flew past the Superstitions, over Red Mountain, over Fountain Hills, over the foothills of the McDowell Mountains, over Scottsdale, and back to Deer Valley. Topped the day off with a burger from In-N-Out and a Coors Light. Ahh yeaaaa! Feels good to be young.

View attachment 62807 View attachment 62808 View attachment 62809 View attachment 62810 View attachment 62811 View attachment 62812 View attachment 62813 View attachment 62814 View attachment 62815
You lucky dog, you. I’m craving an In-n-Out. Nice pics, brah.

You lucky dog, you. I’m craving an In-n-Out. Nice pics, brah.

Thanks young fella. Aren’t you gonna condemn me for making right traffic into 22 to avoid the Aux field airspace? :p

Thanks young fella. Aren’t you gonna condemn me for making right traffic into 22 to avoid the Aux field airspace? :p
I’ll let it slide this time..........

:D

Glad you read my original post bud. Where I literally stated WHY I decided to make right traffic instead of left.

Yes I know that. I’m telling you right now I was not going to fly left traffic for 22 in this case. Yes that was my original plan but after talking with the AUX Tower I decided not to. The highway is a stones throw away from midfield. Sure the highway gets further away as you move west. Notice you said “departure end”.

I’d rather play it safe and give the military folks their space and respect the guys instructions to remain north of the highway. I’m telling you right now you could not of crossed midfield and made left traffic. You would have to make some super awkward entry. Almost like fly directly over the runway on downwind then split off as the highway got further from the airport. You really would have attempted to fly left traffic and push the AUX field just for the sake of standard left traffic? WOW. Maybe in that gyrocopter of yours that would be reasonable.

I have to laugh that you came in here just to pick nits. Although I can’t say I’m surprised :)

Cheers

I'm pretty sure the highway the tower referred to is I-8 which is midway between the two airfields. Sounds like you may have mistaken a county road for the highway, completely understandable.

I'm pretty sure the highway the tower referred to is I-8 which is midway between the two airfields. Sounds like you may have mistaken a county road for the highway, completely understandable.

Ohh you know looking at Google Maps I see that. I was looking at Highway 85.

See Pilawt's post below. This is exactly what happened.

Last edited:
Did KGXF tower just say "the highway" instead of specifying I-8? That's on them, I think, and without further clarification you were probably justified in interpreting it in the most restrictive manner. There's plenty of room to maneuver north of I-8, but not so the other roads (anything can look like a "highway" in the desert) inbetween.

(Dashed line on the screenshot below is the KGXF Class D)

F2C7F604-CFB2-400D-82BA-AF688B8BAD9D.png

Last edited:
Did KGXF tower just say "the highway" instead of specifying I-8? That's on them, I think, and without further clarification you were probably justified in interpreting it in the most restrictive manner. There's plenty of room to maneuver north of I-8, but not so the other roads (anything can look like a "highway" in the desert) inbetween.

(Dashed line on the screenshot below is the KGXF Class D)

View attachment 62819

You know...your right. They just said highway. Which is likely why I thought it was highway 85/maricopa road at first glance.

I was just trying to be conscious of their airspace and didn't want to take any chances. I did what I thought was a reasonable action. There was nobody there, nobody in the pattern, on the ground, etc.

So yes, if they said Highway 8 then I would have made left traffic since that leaves plenty of room.

A German flying an F-104 out of Luke AFB mistakenly landed at Gila Bend Muni back in the 70's. Burned the tires off getting it stopped. They came down, put tires on it and flew it off the highway.

I also assumed when they said “the highway” they meant the 85, but the I-8 makes a lot of sense. Next time maybe we should ask them which one.

Back