Gifts from my airplane tonight

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Just some things I would not have been able to enjoy without an airplane this evening ...

-- This stunning sunset over the Columbia River (Longview, WA);

-- A controller calling out traffic ahead, saying, "... you're overtaking by seventy knots";

-- aaand ... the opportunity to practice using the hand crank to lower the landing gear after the gear motor quit! :mad:

(Ah well, it's due for annual in a few days anyway.)

-- Pilawt

Attachments

• P1020700e.jpg
    P1020700e.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 54
Yeah, I wanted to make sure it was all the way down. The previous owner didn't have it cranked quite all the way after an electrical failure in 1998 ... the nose gear collapsed. So tonight, when the handle wouldn't turn any further, I pushed the breaker back in and made sure I got a green light (there's only one gear light on this model). All turned out well. :redface:

-- Pilawt

Sounds very much like my flight a couple weeks ago - first flight in a single engine airplane in almost 2 years. I did not try to zero out the airspeed on final, saw the gorgeous south Florida coast under the bluest skies I'd seen in awhile, had lunch at a great airport cafe, and a complete electrical failure on the way home.

Damn, what a great day. I forget that airplanes are *almost* as much fun as helicopters.

Wow, great picture. I flew that same route (Longview to Astoria, then up the Washington coastline to Hoquiam) during my first long solo cross-country while working on my PP.

Anyway I can get a non-shrunk original of that photo? Would make a great wallpaper...

(Sorry you had gear issues, but sounds like it was a non-event, other than the maintenance $$$ hit).

I echo what Troy said re: the req for a full-resolution version of that GORGEOUS picture, and the condolences on the gear. Glad you recognized it and landed safely and without damage!

Years ago I was going home for Christmas and used this 58 K that was in the club I was teaching for. When I entered the pattern, late at night, I put down the gear. It made this very long drawn out slow then fast then slow again sound. Sounded like it was just about to quit and I got the green light. Looked on the floor and could see the nose was down. ........

I landed with no problems. But when I got out, the garbage bag full of laundry had fallen off the rear seat on the floor and the emer gear handle had snaged it and wound up all kinds of clothes in the bag! If the motor had quit I'm not sure I could have pulled that stuff out of there from the front seat. I would have had to throw on the auto pilot and go back and deal with it. Luckely that wasn't the case..

John

Back