GI Bill Training Question

Bearhawk'r

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bearhawk'r
I'm sure that this has been asked before in the forum but I am trying to find someone that has some personal experience with this...

I am already a Comm SEL pilot. I'd like to use my post 9/11 GI Bill to try to get additional ratings so I can start earning money and building more hours to eventually work professionally. I'd like to do accelerated training as I still have a full time job (but can take a leave of absence to do this training). I see on the VA Website that I can use $14,881 for vocational flight training each academic year.

Do you think I can do CFI training one year, ME and CFII the following year, and then MEI on the third year to maximize my benefits? It seems that I could potentially go to a school and do all of these at once, but the way I read the rules for the GI Bill (which are purposely vague I think) it appears that I can't get more than $14,881 per year (which certainly wouldn't cut it when trying to get all those add ons at a part 141 school).

So there you have it. If you have any advice/wisdom/first hand knowledge to bestow. Please let me know. Also, I'm on the dry side of the Pacific Northwest. If you have good recommendations for part 141 schools to check out let me know. On one hand it might be nice to fly in and out of class B airspace with weather for the additional learning experience. However, being at a place with less traffic and bright sunshine year around might increase the chances of me completing this type of training in as quick as time as possible.

Thanks!

Keep the “academic year” in mind when scheduling and planning your training. I believe it ends August 31, and unless things have changed, this date resets your annual cap. You could complete a course in July/August, get paid for this year’s $14k, then start training again in Sept with another $14k.

I'm sure that this has been asked before in the forum but I am trying to find someone that has some personal experience with this...

I am already a Comm SEL pilot. I'd like to use my post 9/11 GI Bill to try to get additional ratings so I can start earning money and building more hours to eventually work professionally. I'd like to do accelerated training as I still have a full time job (but can take a leave of absence to do this training). I see on the VA Website that I can use $14,881 for vocational flight training each academic year.

Do you think I can do CFI training one year, ME and CFII the following year, and then MEI on the third year to maximize my benefits? It seems that I could potentially go to a school and do all of these at once, but the way I read the rules for the GI Bill (which are purposely vague I think) it appears that I can't get more than $14,881 per year (which certainly wouldn't cut it when trying to get all those add ons at a part 141 school).

So there you have it. If you have any advice/wisdom/first hand knowledge to bestow. Please let me know. Also, I'm on the dry side of the Pacific Northwest. If you have good recommendations for part 141 schools to check out let me know. On one hand it might be nice to fly in and out of class B airspace with weather for the additional learning experience. However, being at a place with less traffic and bright sunshine year around might increase the chances of me completing this type of training in as quick as time as possible.

Thanks!
When I used the GI Bill a few years back the vocational restrictions didn't apply because it was part of my college course. Not exactly sure where in WA you are but try Central WA U, they have a flight program that may be able to answer your questions. I'm sure things have changed because some schools were abusing the system but the Post 9/11 GI Bill was far more welcoming to aspiring pilots than the Montgomery version. Again, not sure of the current situation but even back when I was using it there were people here and on the AOPA boards that were quoting the Montgomery GI Bill requirements. After talking it over with my school, I ditched my old GI Bill for the Post 9/11 version.

Right now I wouldn’t even worry about a II or MEI, just get your CFI, instruct as much as possible, then get hired by a regional. Did you mention college in there somewhere?

The cap for the current academic year (August 1, 2020 - July 31, 2021) is $14,378.35. Each August it renews.

Any costs beyond the hours specified in the syllabus are on you.

Back