GI Bill Cap on Flight Training Bill?

Makes sense ,there is a need for pilots,so let’s cut the VA program,that could get veterans jobs.

I don’t know, Uncle Sam never promised me a blank check for college. VA costs are spiraling upward and the GI Bill is on the chopping block. I can understand that. $500K for flight training??? That’s ridiculous.

When I was shopping for my ME, I could’ve had the GI Bill pay for it. These 141 schools automatically crank up the cost of their training to meet the max allowed. No way a 141 ME program costs $13,500 vs $4,000 for Part 61. These schools know they’re going to get Chinese and GI Bill money for 141. I decided to pay out of pocket and go with a closer drive and more personalized 61 program.

Yeah, we deserve benefits but they need to be controlled and reflect the true costs of an education. It shouldn’t be a free ride at any cost to tax payers.

Vietnam era, so GI Bill was promised to us. Don't know what is done today. But there is a volunteer military and no draft. I think if there were a draft people would think differently about the cost of the GI Bill and be for it as long as they and theirs didn't have to serve in the military.

When I used the GI Bill for flight training back in the 70s it wasn't abused by the flight school. In my case the training enabled me to make a career flying and it ended up very well for me.

Look at the WW2 veterans who were able to go to college after the war and have successful careers.

Last edited:
The current GI bill is too costly. We now have children of officers with PHDs using their parents GI Bill benefits.

Vietnam GI bill for me, too. Finished my bachelors and got my masters as the calendar and dollars both ran out at the same time. My alma mater also adjusted tuition to match tuition benefits. :(

As someone who entered active duty not eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill, and retired with no post-911 GI Bill benefit left, I’ll say the two programs are night and day different.

I’ll also say that while I took advantage of the transfer of benefit, it’s not sustainable in the long run, and neither is the ability to provide a BAH along with a generous tuition and fee schedule.

I’m not particularly a fan of the post-911 GI Bill; the cost exceeds the benefit and the most enticing part is to not use it for you and instead use it for someone else not otherwise entitled. Kind of backwards if you ask me.

Want to keep the features? You’ve got to limit it to folks who don’t already have a bachelors when then enter the service, regardless of rank and get rid of the transfer of benefit.

ETA: Post 911 GI Bill also got rid of the $1200 buy-in.

Between TA programs and Post-911 GI bill, a short stint in the military is the most generous education benefit in the world.

My company benefit is the max the IRS will allow ($5250/yr) and you’re eligible on day 1, which is pretty good in today’s environment.

Honestly, it seems pretty easy to me for anyone who wants most higher ed/advanced training to get it done with very little out of pocket expense, but what do I know?

Last edited:
Back