GI 275 database sync

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
Our plane has a GTN 750 Xi, GTN 650 Xi, G500 TXi, GI 275, and FS 510. I have tried to update the databases both with an SD card through the TXi and from Garmin Pilot through Database Concierge. In both instances, I noticed that the whole panel seems to synchronize the update and reboot process, except for the GI 275. It looks like I can go into the GI 275 and activate standby databases by hand, but it doesn't want to do that automatically. Is that normal or is there an option or step I'm missing to make the GI 275 automatically change to a standby database?

All of the official steps (below) have the GI 275 included but called out separately. Sure seems to be the black sheep.

From Garmin manual:

This section explains the steps to complete the wireless transfer of databases from the mobile device to the
display and check the status of Database Sync.
 Power on the avionics with Flight Stream 510 installed (GI 275 has internal Bluetooth and WiFi and
does not require a Flight Stream 510.)
 Connect to the wireless network.
o For displays using Flight Stream 510: This is on the database page on initial startup – do not
navigate past this page. The “Show WiFi Info” button will provide the WiFi credentials.
o For GI 275: View the WiFi credentials by going to the System > Wireless page. The WiFi network
becomes available by navigating to System > Databases > Update.
 Select the databases to update.
o For GI 275: Select the Connext button.
 Start the database update. Once the transfer and update are complete, the display may restart to
install the databases.
 The unit will automatically begin Database Sync with the eligible Garmin units. To monitor Database
Sync, navigate to the System Status page on the unit (System > System Status)

For this cycle (through 5/23) my 275’s will not activate the standby database. Has worked fine until now. I’m going to try next cycle before I call Garmin. I typically update through my 750. It looks like the new database is in the 275’s in standby, but it won’t push to active database.

no help for your issue, but thought I would chime in.

For this cycle (through 5/23) my 275’s will not activate the standby database. Has worked fine until now. I’m going to try next cycle before I call Garmin. I typically update through my 750. It looks like the new database is in the 275’s in standby, but it won’t push to active database.

no help for your issue, but thought I would chime in.
Actually it's very helpful. I'm new to the GI 275 so maybe it is just this cycle.

I might be able to help. I am currently dealing with this issue and have spoken to Garmin extensively about the FS510, GTN and GI275 sync issue. Have you recently updated the GI275s to software 2.60 and GTNs to 20.30? Prior to updating my GI275s to 2.60 and GTNxi's to 20.30, sync worked perfectly. They believe the issue was isolated to non-xi units, and if you call, that is what they will tell you. But I can confirm it is present across the board and they know about it. The best way to work around the issue is to update the GI275s from the USB port (database manager) or wirelessly from Garmin Pilot. As mentioned above, the GI275s will see the databases on the GTNs in standby but I do believe they can be pushed to active. I should have more answers Thursday. Sadly, it appears the only solution will be software updates.

I might be able to help. I am currently dealing with this issue and have spoken to Garmin extensively about the FS510, GTN and GI275 sync issue. Have you recently updated the GI275s to software 2.60 and GTNs to 20.30? Prior to updating my GI275s to 2.60 and GTNxi's to 20.30, sync worked perfectly. They believe the issue was isolated to non-xi units, and if you call, that is what they will tell you. But I can confirm it is present across the board and they know about it. The best way to work around the issue is to update the GI275s from the USB port (database manager) or wirelessly from Garmin Pilot. As mentioned above, the GI275s will see the databases on the GTNs in standby but I do believe they can be pushed to active. I should have more answers Thursday. Sadly, it appears the only solution will be software updates.
If you update the GI 275 by USB, does it sync to the rest of your panel?

Makes sense - I brought the plane back to the avionics shop to fix a disconnected audio wire (warranty issue) and the tech told mehe updated the 275's while he was at it. I'll try that next time I update. There isn't much database information that I get from the 275's that I can't live without for the next two weeks. I'll update the 275's through Garmin Pilot, then boot up the 750xi and up date it. Thanks for the info!

Well it says right in the release notes for v2.60 that they have disabled database sync in this version (Garmin SB 22120d):

"Database sync routing is affected by this change. Systems with GTN™ 6XX/7XX (v6.72 or earlier) or GPS 175/GNC® 355/GNX™ 375 (v3.20 or earlier) interfaced to G500/G600 TXi (v3.50 or later) or GI 275 (v2.60 or later) no longer support database sync. Databases will need to be loaded onto each GTN 6XX/7XX and GPS 175/GNC 355/GNX 375 unit. This limitation will be fixed in future GTN 6XX/7XX and GPS 175/GNC 355/GNX 375 software versions."

In my experience, the Garmin Aviation Tech Support folks don't seem particularly knowledgeable about their own products. Reading their own service bulletins and software release notes would probably help.

C.

I updated the GI 275’s separately, so now all of my databases are up to date and active, but the 750xi shows database mis match on boot up. Looks like I’ll be waiting for the firmware update.

Ok - today I updated the GI 275’s first, and the updates were pushed through to the 750 xi. All are in sync and no mismatches, and only had to update one device. Except - still need to update the 430w the old way .

Ok - today I updated the GI 275’s first, and the updates were pushed through to the 750 xi. All are in sync and no mismatches, and only had to update one device. Except - still need to update the 430w the old way .

:hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:

Are you saying you were able to install database updates via USB and they pushed from the 275 to the 750?

This is incredible! I was told it couldn’t be done (that it only worked 650-> 275) and was very unhappy because I’d rather not have to carry take the FS510 out all the time just to update databases.

Yes - BUT via Wi-Fi not via USB. I use Garmin Pilot. I thought the same thing. So I updated the 275’s, then turned on the avionics master to update the 750 and the new DB was already there. The 750 rebooted on its own to finish the update. Magic.

Yes - BUT via Wi-Fi not via USB. I use Garmin Pilot. I thought the same thing. So I updated the 275’s, then turned on the avionics master to update the 750 and the new DB was already there. The 750 rebooted on its own to finish the update. Magic.

Hope it works via USB. I’m so excited to ditch the BadElf I use for my 430s; the last thing I need is another janky wireless update experience.

Thank you both for sharing. I noticed my 275 didn't update the last time either, and that was the first update after the avionics shop upgraded all the software. I used to always update the 750 via the FS510 and then let it sync to the GI275, I never connected directly to the 275. I guess maybe I'll have to try going the other direction next time.

Just to make sure I have this correct... I can update the GI275s via WiFi from Database Concierge (while the GTN750xi is powered off), then power up the GTN750xi and the databases will transfer over (including flitecharts?). Or do I need to send flitecharts separately since they are unique to the 750 and not used by the GI275?

Back