GI-275 and Century 2000

ChucktheTruck

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Anyone have this setup? I’m contemplating pulling the trigger on the upgrade and wonder how these two play together. Thanks!

Not sure how much DNA the 2000 shares with the old century 3, but I remember @cowman had a heckuva a time getting it to work with the 275. I believe he found out after the fact that there is a third party box available now to make it work. That might be a starting point for your research. I'll see if I can dig up that thread...

Thanks for the reply Jim.. that helps alot. Yeah the shop I am planning on using has successfully done other century interfaces.. my plan is to eventually shell out the AMU’s for the GFC-600 but since the C2000 is running fine I’d like to stick with that for the time being… I wish century was still actively supporting their equipment.

Really the deal here is you're interfacing a modern digital instrument to a decades old analog device. Garmin's advertising says that the 275 is "compatible" but I think that's misleading. Compatible to me means it just plugs in. The reality is they need to add additional boxes and do a bunch of wiring and calibration to hook up this "compatible" autopilot. Does it work after all that? Sure. Would it be worth it? Well, IDK. I was fortunate that the shop I dealt with was willing to only charge me the labor they quoted and only made me pay for the additional hardware. Given the amount of time they put into it I think they'd have been ahead to just buy me a new autopilot but hindsight for everyone is 20/20. If you choose to go this route the big thing I'd do is ask the shop specifically if they'd interfaced your type of autopilot with 275 before.

This shop had done lots of GI-275 installs but I was the first one cheap enough not to want to put a new autopilot in with it. They tried really hard to make everything right, I think they really did just quote my install assuming since garmin said "compatible" it wouldn't be that complicated. I had to reach out to POA and other corners of the internet to spoonfeed them what they needed to know which.... you'd think they'd have better info resources than me but I guess not everyone lives on the internet.

Apparently interfacing to a modern garmin autopilot is pretty much just plugging in a connector.

Thanks for the input guys… I’m considering delaying the upgrade now and wait until I can do it with a garmin AP to ensure everything works together as intended.

Back