GI-275 AHARS Question

Timothy Burchett

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Garmin recently published Service Advisory 20112 Rev A stating that the AHARS magnetic model expired and needs to be updated. The GI-275 is supposed to give you the option to update it when you install a new nav database, but mine did not. Garmin was worthless answering the basic questions of why it didn’t work and how to fix it, and even more worthless when asked if it impacted the airworthiness of the instrument. Does anyone know if there are any issues flying with a GI-275 installed as Primary HSI with an out of date AHARS magnetic model? It is just a white message on the GI-275 and their Advisory Circular did not mention anything about being un-airworthy, but I want to check since Garmin was clueless on how to make it update. Thanks.

It is a mandatory update, I found out about it from my avionics guy. We were discussing a totally different subject and he just happened to mention it. According to him, it can only be installed by a Garmin dealer. Garmin's information stream is total crapola, I would have never found out about it had we not been talking. From what he said, it is required to be legal if it's the primary HSI.

That's correct, it must be installed by a Garmin Dealer.

Because the magnetic north and magnetic variations have shifted substantially in the past month?

How much might I ask does this Dealer Update cost?

So.... at any time for anything (implying whether is is needed or not) Garmin can say "This needs updating" and you have to do it or it won't be considered legal?

In the past, my Garmin dealer has installed updates like this at no charge but keep in mind I have written checks to him totalling about $80K over the years. We will have to see if this holds true for this update. I have told him to schedule me in for this as well as firmware updates. I will report back to this thread when it happens if there was a charge.

Yeah the problem is I work a 9-5. And so does my avionics shop. Which makes this a huge pain in the ass for something that will take 20 minutes.

Yeah the problem is I work a 9-5. And so does my avionics shop. Which makes this a huge pain in the ass for something that will take 20 minutes.
20 minutes to install it and how long to test everything? When they installed smart glide for me, it took almost a whole day and cost me $500. They did not charge me for the smart glide enablement, it was all labor for testing. GTN750xi, GNS530W, GI-275x2, STEC55x, and GTX345. It all had to play together.

My Garmin dealer is local and has done all my updates for no charge. They called me when Garmin issued a service bulletin and asked me to stop by any time for them to do it while I waited and watched. There was no charge.

I work 6-3pm and my shop is open to 5. I fly after work often so it is easier for me. Local makes it nice.
I also have written some big checks to my shop, they take good care of me.

I was there with my buddy last month because he is getting a panel upgrade come fall. Scott my avionics guy asked me what I was using on my G5s. I looked and they were out of date. He went outside and updated them while we watched, it took 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:
My Garmin dealer is local and has done all my updates for no charge. They called me when Garmin issued a service bulletin and asked me to stop by any time for them to do it while I waited and watched. There was no charge.

I work 6-3pm and my shop is open to 5. I fly after work often so it is easier for me. Local makes it nice.
I also have written some big checks to my shop, they take good care of me.

I was there with my buddy last month because he is getting a panel upgrade come fall. Scott my avionics guy asked me what I was using on my G5s. I looked and they were out of date. He went outside and updated them while we watched, it took 5-10 minutes.
My guy has done all my firmware upgrades for free up to this point. What bugs me is nobody informs me unless I am shooting the bull and ask whats up. You would think if you are registered on fly.garmin.com, they know what you have and your email address. How hard is it to just inform me through email?

My guy has done all my firmware upgrades for free up to this point. What bugs me is nobody informs me unless I am shooting the bull and ask whats up. You would think if you are registered on fly.garmin.com, they know what you have and your email address. How hard is it to just inform me through email?
One person's opinion. I would not upgrade Garmin FW unless one of three things triggers it.
  1. Added new or replaced (e.g. GTN to GTNxi) a Garmin box.
  2. AD or Service Bulletin with a safety issue
  3. New capability that made the upgrade worth it (SmartGlide)
If you do upgrade, you have to upgrade EVERY Garmin device. A good example, I did the GTN to GTNxi upgrade and did not update the FS210. My iPad would not pair and I couldn't figure out why. Once the 210 was updated, all worked perfectly. I think upgrading every time there is a new release is just asking for compatibility issues.

One person's opinion. I would not upgrade Garmin FW unless one of three things triggers it.
If you do upgrade, you have to upgrade EVERY Garmin device. A good example, I did the GTN to GTNxi upgrade and did not update the FS210. My iPad would not pair and I couldn't figure out why. Once the 210 was updated, all worked perfectly. I think upgrading every time there is a new release is just asking for compatibility issues.
We are talking about a mandatory update. I really don't have much choice on this one.

I feel real lucky to have this guy over see my panel. He is a great guy and I have total confidence in his work. I am not afraid to have him update anything he wants on my panel. One smart dude IMO.
https://dommagazine.com/article/scott-cole-vice-president-cincinnati-avionics

Back