Ghoulish moans on AA flights' intercom

Interesting that they would provide any sort of direct connection between the IFE and anything related to the front office. In my security first mind, it seems like it wouldn't be such a bad idea to have a separate GPS receiver for the IFE. They weigh next to nothing and alleviate the need to have the IFE and flight-related goo-gahs connected.

That was my thought but according to what @bflynn quoted, these systems were not designed for security.

I’m not really surprised. These systems are hard enough to build without forcing complex serial interfaces and security onto everything. Easier to use a network, especially in a closed system

still, this diagram, if accurate, shocks me. Most of it passenger oriented, but what are the connections to the pilots?

upload_2022-9-29_6-0-56.png

I’m not really surprised. These systems are hard enough to build without forcing complex serial interfaces and security onto everything. Easier to use a network, especially in a closed system

still, this diagram, if accurate, shocks me. Most of it passenger oriented, but what are the connections to the pilots?

Given it says "future connected aircraft" I'd say it's notional. Sure doesn't have enough details to really represent what the LAN would look like and I think it's more a "these are potential pieces".

I don't see a single thing on that diagram that is passenger-oriented. I see a wireless network linking the airline ground network to crew devices, with the ground-to-aircraft link being either wifi (presumably at the gate or in the hangar) or satellite (presumably in fight or on the ground at an airport lacking that airline's network infrastructure). None of that is passenger-oriented.

If I can spoof the GPS data, I don't need the FMS. You don't have to take over every node of a system to control it.

Sigh...

If you assume a flat earth...

"sigh" indeed.

I just sat down at my seat on Delta and apparently it’s already hacked for me. In an A220, what’s the minimum safe altitude for a barrel roll?

A7B02F10-55A9-4DB3-8A97-1D459D167A53.jpeg

Turo'd a nice Tesla recently. Drove really well, acceleration was brisk.. I 'got' the hype. But once that 20 minutes of 'wow this is cool' faded I started to really hate the thing.
I rode in one a few months back. My only impression was that it was quiet (obviously) and had a cheap, cheesy interior that belied the high price. Turned me off of considering one, if I ever had.

yeah.. agree. That sleek modern look is a nice way to hide "this is actually cheaper to build" and after a while it felt too sterile or 'corporate' to me. Like organizing your dining room to look like an office conference room

I won't be in the queue to buy a Tesla anytime soon. No hate to EVs specifically, Tesla is just not my cup of tea

I just sat down at my seat on Delta and apparently it’s already hacked for me. In an A220, what’s the minimum safe altitude for a barrel roll?

View attachment 111435
Goes to show that the UI on this was NOT designed by a pilot. Why would it have negative knots on the speed tape? The negative altitude I get, there are some places that given the right conditions could see below sea level readings. But when would your airspeed ever be "-40" knots?

If you have an airspeed of -40 knots, are you going backwards??

Back