Getting yelled at by controllers

I just read the story of the 727 capt. getting "corrected" to my husband and his comment was - can't you imagine the co-pilot smiling

I think we are pretty much saying the same thing. We are accustomed to that beautiful "chirp - chirp --- chirp" you can't feel that becomes nearly a 3-point landing with no flare in this new scenario. BTW, he's (at the moment) a student.

Also, at the moment, the things he is not allowed to do for this exercise is come in lower, add a little power, and flare.

I don't think anyone said anything about adding power. A smooth touchdown power off spot landing is pretty easy in a slow taildragger, it's all a matter of managing the energy in the last 100 ft of descent. Doing it smoothly in a faster airplane could be more challenging. That said, "planting it" probably makes it a bit easier to stay within the required 200 ft. BTW I took a commercial checkride in a 65 HP taildragger and the accuracy landing was one of the easiest parts. Heck with just a little bit of wind I could touch down and stop in less than 200 ft. What airplane is hubby flying for this endeavor?

Peggy.. help me out as I'm not quite understanding why a power off landing would require not "flaring"?
:confused:

I think the unallowed thing was "add power" and that might be necessary if the pilot "came in lower".

Jeanie, I''ve asked Dad to sit down and type (or record) some of his "war stories" from his days flying recon with the Navy to his days in the ATC world. He has an excellent memory...when he relates the above story to someone, he can tell them "I had this American 727 with a Braniff already on takeoff roll...", so he remembers it much better than I can remember my own stories :)

If anyone really cares, I'll try to share what I start getting from him. I love listening to anyone's stories from the "good 'ole days".

jf

Back