Getting through the POH

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Reading a thread about another member realizing a comfort control on the airplane, and it reminded me of a question that I had.

Before flying a new type, how many of you read the AFM or POH cover to cover? If it's your plane I'd expect you to practically know it, but if you plane hop, what do you do for stovepiping?

Last edited:
Depends on my familiarity. I have limited time in the Cessna 152 vs the 172. However, when I started flying a 152 a few times last year I thumbed through the POH mainly looking for obvious differences and important numbers (gross weight, v speeds, etc.).

However, when I switched into the G1000, fuel injected 172 I'm flying now I read the POH, autopilot, and G1000 manuals cover to cover multiple times.

If I jumped into something that wasn't a Cessna I'd probably sleep with the POH and read passages from it before bed each night.

The Navion manual is somewhat amusing in it's history.

The important thing is to note the speeds and any special procedures that are different than the standard. Knowing systems can help you if they are unusual. For example, knowing how the hydraulic system works in the Navion (works the gear and the flaps) will help you in an emergency. A long time owner and senior flight instructor/aviation safety counselor got bit by that (there are something like 13 steps in the Navion emergency gear extension. What he missed (and really isn't quite stated in the instructions) is that once the gear comes down and lock STOP MESSING WITH THINGS. You can go from down and locks to an intermediate position if you, for example, turn the hydraulics back on to move the flaps.

The first thing I look at is spin recovery procedures. I know the FAA recommends PARE but some planes like a different sequence.

Spin recovery is pretty much the same for any airplane- PARED.
I read limitations; EPs; scan through normal procedures for anything unusual; systems, especially fuel, electrical, landing gear, autopilot. Any other unusual system.
Then I do a performance card for the conditions.
Google to see if there are profiles for the airplane. Go to user group or other forum to check on any "gotchas".

Spin recovery is pretty much the same for any airplane- PARED.".

I can say that the PA-28-201RT spin recovery is

-Full opposite Rudder
-Full elevator nose down
(while neutralizing ailerons)
-Finally, Power to idle

So if the test pilots determined that this was the best procedure, this will be the procedure I want to use.

I can say that the PA-28-201RT spin recovery is

-Full opposite Rudder
-Full elevator nose down
(while neutralizing ailerons)
-Finally, Power to idle

So if the test pilots determined that this was the best procedure, this will be the procedure I want to use.

P- Power to idle
A- Ailerons neutral. PA-28-201T POH does not mention this, but you want to do this as it can be a pro-spin input.
R- Rudder full and opposite
E- Elevator forward. You want to do this AFTER the other steps (not prior as written in the PA-28 POH), as doing it prior to pulling power to idle can induce a ride on some airplanes
D- Dive recovery. You need to remember to neutralize the controls and level the wings as you recover. Even the PA-28 is subject to a cross over spin and over stressing the airframe if you recover in a roll.
Yeah, I know it is sacrilege to many, but POH's can and often are wrong.

I've read several POHs for airplanes I never flew, just to see what they had to say. I also picked up POHs for planes I was considering for purchase.

I usually familiarize myself with the systems and limitations, V-speeds and weight and balance. I also like to flip through the normal and emergency procedures as well to get an idea on how the manufacturer wants people to operate the machine.

Cover to cover, no. But I do a guided review of the the checklists, performance and systems information.

The guided part? I write my own checklists and write the first draft for a new type, PIM or POH in hand, before I fly it.

Back