Getting started -- 2 questions.

CEB_lights

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fin.
Hi guys,

I'm taking the slow road to earning my PPL sometime in the future but had a couple questions to start out with -- and this will probably impact how I go about things in the near future. Apologies if this was already covered elsewhere -- if so, could one please point me in the right direction?

First off -- I've been on two introductory flights (spaced about 12 years apart) from the same FBO and it sounds like things are starting to come together to the point where I can actually pursue one of my lifelong dreams. At present I can't afford to fly much or often but I'd like to supplement what I've got when things fall together in a better manner so that when I can afford to fly, I'll fly. :)

The biggest thing I took from the last flight after the fact was that I would need to present a passport in order to pursue further dual time in order to satisfy regulations from a 'higher power.' Does that sound correct?

Second -- is there any decent recommendations for a CFI/FBO in the Minneapolis area from the board?

Yup, passport or birth cert for TSA BS, it's normal, your poor CFI also has to keep it on file for whatever "security" reason.

Yup, passport or birth cert for TSA BS, it's normal, your poor CFI also has to keep it on file for whatever "security" reason.

Ahh, okay. It just sounded kinda funny at the time, but then again I had been effectively living under a rock for quite some time busying myself with stuff called 'work' and 'life.'

Birth cert is no big deal; simplifies things significantly and means I don't have to wait a month before things can happen. Cool. :)

Seconded. I was able to do a discovery flight w/o passport but for the second flight it was required.

Seconded. I was able to do a discovery flight w/o passport but for the second flight it was required.

Yup. Discovery flight is OK, but anything after that you'll need to bring in a passport or birth cert, your CFI makes a copy and gives you an endorsement, stupid I know, security theatre stuff, but not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.

first my advise would be to get an idea of how much it will take you at the min. time to get you time in and add 50% to it for any glitches in your training and save that money somewhere you wont tap into it . the reason i say that is that it will actually save you money in the long run. this way you wont be waiting on money to get lessons, and you will be able to fly as much as you can. I wouldnt drag it out any longer than you have to, that way you can retain the information from lesson to lesson and much less difficulty going from one lesson to another. Also if you plan on getting you instrament rating you can still be saving money for that at the same time. :idea: jmo happy flying and safe landings, good luck to ya

Last edited:
My advice would to wait until you have most of the money save up for training. Budget around $10K. The worst thing you can do is to start and stop your training

The passport question is easy,on the other hand when you start lessons is a personal choice. Mostly related to funds available ,and time you can put toward your training. There is no standard answer. Good luck.

You may as well get a passport if you don't have one already. TSA has their nose into just about everything so sooner or later you'll probably need it for something.

You can train to fly with a Birth cert and DL or other government picture ID, but a passport is something to always have in you pocket.

My advice is to start training as soon as you get the paperwork in order, and pay as you go, affording to fly as your checkbook allows you.

Life should be about enjoying the journey, not focused on the end. Even if it takes you longer on a "pay as you go", that is part of the fun. No need to put of having fun until you can pay it all at once and enjoy a condensed amount of fun.

Go fly, go to work, dream about flying, rinse, repeat.....

My advice is to start training as soon as you get the paperwork in order, and pay as you go, affording to fly as your checkbook allows you.

Life should be about enjoying the journey, not focused on the end. Even if it takes you longer on a "pay as you go", that is part of the fun. No need to put of having fun until you can pay it all at once and enjoy a condensed amount of fun.

Go fly, go to work, dream about flying, rinse, repeat.....

I 2nd this advice. I'd rather be in the air. If you find that you're stuck at some point due to low frequency of flights, you can always save up at that point so you can 'hit it hard' for a few weeks/months to get over the hump. You'll still have to pay to fly after you get your ticket.

But, If for some reason your goal is to get the ticket with least $$, in the least amount of time start to finish, then saving up would be best.

edit: I'll also add to research the 3rd class medical and make sure you won't have any issues getting that(before you are examined!). Some people are surprised that they have issues after it is too late(applied and deferred for FAA approval). You don't want to save up your money and find out you can't get a medical.

Last edited:
Guys,

I thank you all for such a fantastic response -- I knew this place was very active before I signed up but I'm very wowed with what has been said so far. :)

I just contacted the FBO I had been using before for a feeler on feasibility over the next month or so. I have the means to fly a little and want to gauge where I'm at (and see how well the budget holds up).

All things equal, even if it's a little flying here and there, it's something . . . and something is better than nothing.

Back