getting rid of the Norton "bar" at the top of my computer

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I installed Norton tonight and the bar at the top installed itself and I don't want it there. How do I get rid of it? I thought I had asked his once before when I did it to the laptop but I can't find that thread now... thanks anyone.

Edit: Forget it, I think I figured it out.

Now, how do I get it to stop nagging me all the time?

I installed Norton tonight and the bar at the top installed itself and I don't want it there. How do I get rid of it? I thought I had asked his once before when I did it to the laptop but I can't find that thread now... thanks anyone.

Edit: Forget it, I think I figured it out.

Now, how do I get it to stop nagging me all the time?

Uninstall Norton.

That (and many other) problems solved.

(Symantec is on my s*** list right now - looked at our work server... Symantec's default installation writes a 6 line message to the log file every minute or two. The log file is now 1 GB in size.)

My answer is, the first thing I did with my new HP, which came with Norton pre-installed, was to remove it.

Norton software is junk, and in my experience, creates more problems than it cures.

sigh. I just ordered it - 70 bucks - it's done. You have to have something protecting your computer, right? When it was the 30 day trial it didn't bother me... now, it is...

Uninstall Norton.

That (and many other) problems solved.

(Symantec is on my s*** list right now - looked at our work server... Symantec's default installation writes a 6 line message to the log file every minute or two. The log file is now 1 GB in size.)

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, Norton has been progressively going down the tubes since Peter Norton stopped writing the code himself. Nowadays, it's bloated, buggy, resource-hungry crap, IMHO. One of my clients works for Symantec, in fact, and he uses Trend on his own computers. 'Nuff said.

These days, I'm recommending Trend Micro on Windows networks, and AVG (one of the various paid versions, depending on the particular situation) on freestanding machines. (The free version of AVG is also very good, but the license limits it to home use; and the paid version does have some additional features that I think are worth the modest price.)

-Rich

ARGH. I guess it's too late to do anything now unless they'd refund my money.

how do I find out if it's replicating itself?

Right click on the taskbar. Get Task Manager, Processes, and watch it eat your resources.

eEye BLINK does the best job of protecting Windows. It's only $25/year for the paid personal version. It has it's own software firewall. Turn off any other software firewall you have active before installing BLINK, though.

http://www.eeye.com/html/consumer/products/blink/index.html

Hmmm... looks interesting and has earned VB100... comprehensive, and cheap, too.

It's probably worth infecting one of these old machines I have laying around just to give it a try.

-Rich

If you decide to uninstall it.
Google "uninstall norton", there are a couple of free utilities that actually DO get rid of all of it. Just using the uninstall on your computer will leave most of the program there.

Mark B

If you decide to uninstall it.
Google "uninstall norton", there are a couple of free utilities that actually DO get rid of all of it. Just using the uninstall on your computer will leave most of the program there.

Mark B

It's a new PC that didn't come with Norton evilware. She can just use the recovery disks to rebuild it, subject to 200 online updates again.

After a system restore during the past couple evenings at home (registry was corrupted and I decided to do a wipe instead of a restore point) I found that Norton was (of course) bundled with XP from the manufacturer (HP.) Used the Norton removal tool, wonder if that drove a stake through the heart of it? I'm sure there are still registry traces of it, but it is out of my services, startup and processes screensat least.

Anyway, I went with AVG for antivirus and reinstalled Spysweeper since it still consistently has the best reviews for spyware.

But then I read this morning:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10101582-83.html?tag=mncol;txt

Microsoft on Tuesday said it is changing its strategy for offering PC antivirus software, with plans to discontinue its subscription-based consumer security suite and instead offer individuals free software to protect their PCs.
Code-named Morro, the new offering will be available in the second half of 2009 and will protect against viruses, spyware, rootkits, and Trojans, the company said in a statement.
With the arrival of Morro, Microsoft plans to stop selling the Windows Live OneCare service, although the two services are not identical. Morro lacks OneCare's non-security features, such as printer sharing and automated PC tuneup. Morro will, however, use fewer resources than the subscription-based offering, making it better suited to low-bandwith systems and less powerful PCs.
I am a reluctant MS user and generally prefer open source freeware to many MS products (though I've never been able to wean myself from the Windows OS) but I do remember in 2006 that Windows Defender had very positive reviews.

Last edited:
Back