Getting rid of fat

[possibly poor taste] And taken to the extreme, there were no fat people at Auschwitz [/possibly poor taste]
[possibly poor taste] That fact has occurred to me as well. [/possibly poor taste] Perhaps to avoid any accusation of poor taste another example might be skin and bones supermodels.

That is discrimination. Fat people have just as much right to run and win marathons as skinny people.;)
I was on a bike ride once and I came upon a half marathon. I didn't know that it was a half at the time but I noted several people that were fatter than I am
(BMI just under 30 but pretty fit). I asked a runner friend of mine if he knew what event I had encountered. He said "oh yeah that's the something or other half marathon". I said holy s**t, I saw people on that run that looked like they shouldn't run half a mile run much less a half marathon!

BMI is stupid and does not take into account body composition so I wouldn't worry much about BMI.

Aways weigh yourself after a BM I do, not before.

Hahaha! Yep! For best results do not eat or drink when you wake up, wait til the BM is over, remove glasses, hearing aids, wedding ring and any other accessories, and weigh yourself buck naked.

BMI is stupid and does not take into account body composition so I wouldn't worry much about BMI.
For 80 percent of the population it is s good indicator. If you are outside the standard deviation than you are correct.
Never forget that BMI was intended as a quick way to determine if additional steps/questions are eequitrd; not as a definitive answer.
Lastly, medical people who look at statistical data will tell you it is not 80% but 99%.

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

For 80 percent of the population it is s good indicator. If you are outside the standard deviation than you are correct.
Never forget that BMI was intended as a quick way to determine if additional steps/questions are eequitrd; not as a definitive answer.
Lastly, medical people who look at statistical data will tell you it is not 80% but 99%.

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

"eequitrd" took me a few seconds to figure out you meant required, but I like your word better.

I was on a bike ride once and I came upon a half marathon. I didn't know that it was a half at the time but I noted several people that were fatter than I am
(BMI just under 30 but pretty fit). I asked a runner friend of mine if he knew what event I had encountered. He said "oh yeah that's the something or other half marathon". I said holy s**t, I saw people on that run that looked like they shouldn't run half a mile run much less a half marathon!
I am a lifelong runner and my weight goes up and down. I have run a a couple of marathons and many half marathons. Right now, I am probably 20 lbs over where I would like to be, but I still run at least three times a week (3 to 5 miles). You can definitely feel the difference when you are carrying the extra weight, though.

Look into intermittent fasting, has a lot to do with the circadian rythm of your liver. I need to start doing it again. I lost 25 pounds in 2 months, while eating more calories and not changing anything else. (read: I dont exercise, lol)

Dr. Sachin Panda does a lot of the leading research with it.

Here's a link to a Youtube interview with Dr Panda and Dr Rhonda Patrick

Two Rock Stars

I have followed Dr Rhonda Patrick for a year or so, I usually have watch her stuff twice to understand it. Information dense.

16 hr. fasting here. Yes it works along with a good diet and exercise program. Not to brag (f**k it, I'm gonna brag anyways)... in the last 5 months I've went from weighing 255 lbs. and am now down to 220 lbs. I went from a 38 pant size down to a 36 down to a 34 and am gunning for the 32's that I wore 30 years ago. ;)

Cut out alcohol for a month and you'll lose the belly. Also try to cut down on sugar. Cut out soda and "fruit" juices that aren't 100% fruit juice. Get more protein in your diet.
Exercise: lotsa people think they get enough, but if you really look at what you do, its probably sitting for most of the day. Human body wasn't built to sit all day. Get up and do something, anything. Keep yourself moving. If you have a desk job, get up and walk around every couple of hours.

It's all about balance. BMI is a good estimate to see if you're overweight or under. It won't be exact since everyone is different.

16 hr. fasting here. Yes it works along with a good diet and exercise program. Not to brag (f**k it, I'm gonna brag anyways)... in the last 5 months I've went from weighing 255 lbs. and am now down to 220 lbs. I went from a 38 pant size down to a 36 down to a 34 and am gunning for the 32's that I wore 30 years ago. ;)

Nice! You must be tall. At 5'10, 220 to 195 took me from tight 37 to almost tight 34, not sure I'd make those 30 year old 501 32's even if I lose another 10 lbs. But those frickin' white cheddar CheezIts I gorged on last night will have me gunning for some 42's! Gotta keep those out of the house . . .

Nice! You must be tall. At 5'10, 220 to 195 took me from tight 37 to almost tight 34, not sure I'd make those 30 year old 501 32's even if I lose another 10 lbs. But those frickin' white cheddar CheezIts I gorged on last night will have me gunning for some 42's! Gotta keep those out of the house . . .
6' 2" height wise. Just for s**ts and giggles, last night I pulled out a box of my size 32 (you guessed it... 501's) from the back of my closet just to see how close I was. I still have a little ways to go yet. All the training and diet gurus that I follow always say that those last 20 lbs. are the hardest to lose. They liken fat loss to emptying out a swimming pool. The shallow end is going to empty out first and go pretty quick, but the deep end is going to take a little more time.

Where would you like us to go next?

Chinese tourists. Never saw so many like I did at the Grand Canyon. Turns out a Chinese businessman funded and counseled the Indian tribe on the building and operating of the observation platform on West End.

Last edited:
Meat thermometers, what does everyone use or suggest?

I just poke my finger in. Cool needs more time, warm getting there, ****ing burning my finger hot , yeah baby let's eat!

Meat thermometers, what does everyone use or suggest?

I have a couple:

I like my wireless version, a long probe on a long cable, attached to a transmitter. The remote can sit next to my recliner, and the sender can be stationed outside on the smoker or in the kitchen next to the oven and does have a temperature display. The remote has a timer/temperature alarm. There are a number of brands to choose from, probably all are pretty good. Mine was a gift, so I didn't do any research. I also use it as an instant-read, too. It replaced my old non-remote version that wore out when the buttons started sticking.

I really want a better instant-read. My current version, if I can find it again, takes about 30 seconds to get a stable temp. The newer, better versions with a longer and thinner probe can register in less than 10 seconds.

I'll probably get something like this:
http://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt9CD_Jmy1wIVCEsNCh2kGgL0EAAYASAAEgKWdvD_BwE

There are folding styles, but the problem with them is that they turn on when opened and off when closed, and there have been many times I've grabbed one to use it and then forgot to close it. Not good on battery life, and you still need to clean it off before you close it.

I don't like my older dial, bimetal versions. They always seem out of calibration and take too long to stabilize.

I love their standard Thermopen.

I lost 69 pounds from April 8 to Sep 27 doing the low carb diet. I lost 25 pounds very quickly and plateaued briefly and had to tighten up not only on keeping out carbs, but being more mindful of total calorie intake and dropped all diet drinks. Doing that, I dropped another 25 pounds. The last 19 pounds was painful. Not only was I keeping my daily carb intake between 25-30grams, I also cut out ALL artificial sweetner so it was black coffee, unsweetened ice tea (and I'm a southerner so that was hard) or water with lemon. Lots of water. I also got back into riding my recumbant stationary bike and worked up to 20-22 miles a day. Unfortunately after several weeks, I had to cut way back and then stop due to some significant problems it was causing with a destroyed left ankle from my Army days. The weight loss slowed greatly, but I was still managing to lose a pound or two each week.

I fit back in my Army Dress Mess uniform (by her request) for my dauther's wedding Sept 30, some 18 years after last having worn them. Since then, I've added back occasional carbs and a few Coke Zeros. I also use artificial sweetner and a bit of cream in my coffee again. After drinking it black for years in the Army, I've learned to appreciate it with sweetner and half and half... Gained back about 6-8 pounds, but have stablized at 205 +/- for the last month. I'll take that for now. Waiting for the upcoming holidays to pass and then I'll be looking at round 2 and trying to drop another 15-20 pounds.

I can really tell a difference in flying my planes. Not only are the seatbelts now taken up much more, but I have gained useful load by eliminating a useless gut. In both the Cub and RV-4, I can now carry full fuel, a 200# passenger and a couple of bags (not that there is room for much in either plane). Mostly, I feel so much better.

I've seen a few of these on the BBQ scene:

http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Nice, but $$.
I've got a tappeque for the smoker. I tried a bluetooth unit and gave up on its unstable connection. The tappeque connects via wifi and can monitor it with an app on a phone or tablet. It cost a few bucks but it has been reliable.

Our big smoker is a rotisserie with 8 racks. Not possible to use a wireless setup because the thermocouple wire will get wound up.

We have 2 options right now, and both require the rotisserie to be turned off first: open a door and use a fast instant read and stick your face into the smoke to read it (I know, most have a "hold" button); or crack a door, stab the brisket or butt with a probe on a thermocouple wire, close the door, then read the temp on the alarm.

Agree. I've got one of those scales that reads out body fat. Not sure how accurate it is but I don't like the numbers. It was pretty close to this thing:
https://mport.com/
Which I tried once. For whatever that's worth.

Until a few years ago I could eat all of anything I wanted because of the amount of exercise I get. I was too thin but really didn't pay much attention. People kept telling me when I got older that would change on a dime. It did. Out of nowhere I started gaining weight. So I ate less, but kept gaining a little weight over time. I went from 135 to 195 (5'10) and nothing I do will shed even one pound. Doc says I just need to eat less and exercise more.

Only on PoA can a thread about belly fat morph into real estate miasma! I love it!!!
And now smokers and meat thermometers. Holy smokes this one is all over the place. Speaking of smoke, vaping seems like the dumbest thing ever invented.

Hahaha! Yep! For best results do not eat or drink when you wake up, wait til the BM is over, remove glasses, hearing aids, wedding ring and any other accessories, and weigh yourself buck naked.
That's what aggravates me about the fact that they use it at the doctors office. I'm fully dressed had 1 or 2 meals and I drink a lot of water.

And now smokers and meat thermometers. Holy smokes this one is all over the place. Speaking of smoke, vaping seems like the dumbest thing ever invented.
What’s the best wood to use in the smoker? Oak and Apple seem pretty safe. Mesquite is good when the haven’t slipped some creosote in with it.

I like it when I stop at a light behind a vaper. It impressive how much smoke(?)/steam(?) they can blow out the window.

It's regional. In KC, generally: hickory and oak for heat, and apple/cherry/pecan for flavor.

When someone asked me if I was gaining weight, I told them no, I was redistributing what I had.

What’s the best wood to use in the smoker? Oak and Apple seem pretty safe. Mesquite is good when the haven’t slipped some creosote in with it.

I soak three good sized chunks of applewood in water overnight, then throw them in on top of the standard Green Egg oak/hickory charcoal when I put the meat in.

I've seen a few of these on the BBQ scene:

http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Nice, but $$.
It is nice, but be careful. When they say 300ft, "line of sight", they mean "line of sight". My smoker is outside and around a corner. I can't get a signal 20 ft away if it isn't real "line of sight". So it is useless to me.

I lost 69 pounds from April 8 to Sep 27 doing the low carb diet. I lost 25 pounds very quickly and plateaued briefly and had to tighten up not only on keeping out carbs, but being more mindful of total calorie intake and dropped all diet drinks. Doing that, I dropped another 25 pounds. The last 19 pounds was painful. Not only was I keeping my daily carb intake between 25-30grams, I also cut out ALL artificial sweetner so it was black coffee, unsweetened ice tea (and I'm a southerner so that was hard) or water with lemon. Lots of water. I also got back into riding my recumbant stationary bike and worked up to 20-22 miles a day. Unfortunately after several weeks, I had to cut way back and then stop due to some significant problems it was causing with a destroyed left ankle from my Army days. The weight loss slowed greatly, but I was still managing to lose a pound or two each week.

I fit back in my Army Dress Mess uniform (by her request) for my dauther's wedding Sept 30, some 18 years after last having worn them. Since then, I've added back occasional carbs and a few Coke Zeros. I also use artificial sweetner and a bit of cream in my coffee again. After drinking it black for years in the Army, I've learned to appreciate it with sweetner and half and half... Gained back about 6-8 pounds, but have stablized at 205 +/- for the last month. I'll take that for now. Waiting for the upcoming holidays to pass and then I'll be looking at round 2 and trying to drop another 15-20 pounds.

I can really tell a difference in flying my planes. Not only are the seatbelts now taken up much more, but I have gained useful load by eliminating a useless gut. In both the Cub and RV-4, I can now carry full fuel, a 200# passenger and a couple of bags (not that there is room for much in either plane). Mostly, I feel so much better.

You realize, of course, we all hate you now.....:lol::lol::lol:

Keep up the good work with the weight loss. I have shed around 10-12 pounds in the last couple months. Now that the cardiologist gave me the OK to exercise, I hope to lose 10 pounds a month for the next 4 months, and keep it off. I have already made big changes in my diet, and I do have a great diet reminder....... the wife.

We were taught that 2 lbs a week was a healthy rate of weight loss, but that was some time ago.

It’s best framed that even a consistent pound a week is 52 lbs over the course of a year.

Back