Getting Released from HIMS.

Brandon B

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon B
A little back story about my medical and why I needed a SI. When I started to follow my dream to become a jet pilot I had to get a Special Issuance First Class Medical. I wanted to get a first class because if I wasn't able to fly for the airlines then I wasn't going to become a pilot because I don't come from a wealthy family and can't really afford to fly for fun let alone own an airplane.
After a little over a year working with a HIMS AME, seeing a Neuro Psychologist and a Psychiatrist, I was able to get a SI First Class Cert. The diagnosis was "Substance Abuse and Adjustment Disorder with Depression". The Substance abuse was because I was arrested for cannabis. The depression was because when I was in the ARMY one Sergent that didn't like me told me if I deployed with him he would try to get me killed, I sought help and was put on anti depressants.

The requirements for my SI Authorization was 14 Drug and Alcohol tests per year, meet with my AME every 6 months and see the Psychiatrist once per year until 2026. I have been doing that for two and a half years now.
I was about go to basic med because while I want to fly, like I said I don't have very much money, the cost of monitoring was eating all of my expendable income. It was either pay for my medical and not fly or try to get basic med and be able to fly.

I pretty much made up my mind to go to basic med and fly. Then if/when I had the hours needed to go to the airlines I would get a medical again and go through all the monitoring again because then I would have the income to be able to do it.

However today I received a letter from the FAA. 2.5 years into a 5 year authorization I now have a regular First Class Medical! I can see any AME to renew my medical(no longer need to see HIMS). No more 14 screens or seeing a Psychiatrist. My medical no longer says "not valid for any class after"

So to anyone who thinks once you are in HIMS you are there for life I am proof that is not the case for everyone. If you do the right thing GREAT things can happen. I am now blessed with the hope and motivation to continue my career, once I can save a bit of money that is.

That’s because the FAA stated you had substance abuse. If you were in HIMS for substance dependence they would never release you.

Is this how it usually works for an abuse special issuance? Did you have to do anything on your end or did the FAA do it on their own? If one of the senior AMEs on here could chime in also if this is possible before the 2.5 years or if you just have to wait for the FAA to release you?

Like the others, congratulations. I've read enough horror stories to know how big of a deal this is. Hope you go celebrate it in a suitable style.

Is this how it usually works for an abuse special issuance? Did you have to do anything on your end or did the FAA do it on their own? If one of the senior AMEs on here could chime in also if this is possible before the 2.5 years or if you just have to wait for the FAA to release you?
The letter said that OKC recently reviewed reports from my HIMS AME and my HIMS Psychiatrist. I don't know if they said or recommended anything. I did not request anything. All I did was follow everything my SI Authorization said to a T. NGL I was scared at first when I received the letter, given my past, then when I opened it I was ecstatic with the news.
Like the others, congratulations. I've read enough horror stories to know how big of a deal this is. Hope you go celebrate it in a suitable style.
I did, went to Red Lobster. Usually only go for my birthday but I thought this merited a visit.

That's great news.

I hope for the sake of future pilots that this represents some degree of softening on the part of the FAA.

A little back story about my medical and why I needed a SI. When I started to follow my dream to become a jet pilot I had to get a Special Issuance First Class Medical. I wanted to get a first class because if I wasn't able to fly for the airlines then I wasn't going to become a pilot because I don't come from a wealthy family and can't really afford to fly for fun let alone own an airplane.
After a little over a year working with a HIMS AME, seeing a Neuro Psychologist and a Psychiatrist, I was able to get a SI First Class Cert. The diagnosis was "Substance Abuse and Adjustment Disorder with Depression". The Substance abuse was because I was arrested for cannabis. The depression was because when I was in the ARMY one Sergent that didn't like me told me if I deployed with him he would try to get me killed, I sought help and was put on anti depressants.

The requirements for my SI Authorization was 14 Drug and Alcohol tests per year, meet with my AME every 6 months and see the Psychiatrist once per year until 2026. I have been doing that for two and a half years now.
I was about go to basic med because while I want to fly, like I said I don't have very much money, the cost of monitoring was eating all of my expendable income. It was either pay for my medical and not fly or try to get basic med and be able to fly.

I pretty much made up my mind to go to basic med and fly. Then if/when I had the hours needed to go to the airlines I would get a medical again and go through all the monitoring again because then I would have the income to be able to do it.

However today I received a letter from the FAA. 2.5 years into a 5 year authorization I now have a regular First Class Medical! I can see any AME to renew my medical(no longer need to see HIMS). No more 14 screens or seeing a Psychiatrist. My medical no longer says "not valid for any class after"

So to anyone who thinks once you are in HIMS you are there for life I am proof that is not the case for everyone. If you do the right thing GREAT things can happen. I am now blessed with the hope and motivation to continue my career, once I can save a bit of money that is.
Oh that's great news!!

Last edited:
Back