Getting ready for the IFR Check ride

gil_mor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gil_mor
The 210 is finally flying again. A month and half of not flying JUST before the checkride was officially over.

I still have 1 or 2 flights to finish the 3 hour preparation.

I've taken my old CFI (I) and his C182 for a mock checkride today.
2 hours of oral, lunch, 2 hours of flying, and I can still talk.

Main issues -
1. Not identifying VOR/ILS Morse code- my CFII never put emphasis on it, so neither did I.

2. Entering a random hold with little instructions (hold SW of current radial at X intersection)

3. Partial panel - the 210 has 430W GPS, so I use the heading feature on partial panel, the 182 only has the compass, which is harder on turns etc.

Overall it was a good flight, and I learned about what I know and what I don't know.

The DPE is known to be a "by the book" kind of guy, 2 of my friends failed with him recently, but both of them claimed it was their fault.

If I fail, I'll just complete the tasks the next time, but it would be nice to pass :)

No date yet, but I'm hoping within 2 weeks.

Right behind you Nate, and my butt is not even frozen!
55˚ at 9500 today! ;-)

Did your CFII say anything about ASAP MICEATM?

Had to google it - so the answer is no.

ATIS
Stack
Approach Brief
Pre-landing checklist

Markers
Identify
Course
Entry

Altitude
Time
Missed

1. Not identifying VOR/ILS Morse code- my CFII never put emphasis on it, so neither did I.
Then you'd better start now, because failure to ID is an automatic bust -- and with good reason. For example, a couple of years ago, I was flying with a client into Bedford MA (KBED). They'd been on 11 all day due to crummy weather, but the front came through, the air cleared, and the wind shifted to the northwest. They were running visuals to 29, but we asked Boston for the ILS instead. They turned us to the base leg, and the needles came active, but didn't look right. Checked the Morse, and it was I-BED -- the ILS for 11 on the same freq as the ILS to 29 (I-ULJ). Tower had forgotten to throw the big switch to change the ILS. Quick call, the needles go dead, then come alive looking right and the Morse is now I-ULJ. Had we been in the goo and not checked the Morse, it could have been ugly.

2. Entering a random hold with little instructions (hold SW of current radial at X intersection)
The 7-part holding clearance routine (Hold, direction, fix, radial/bearing/course/airway, turns, length and EFC) and constructing an unpublished hold is often underexercised. Make sure you can handle it if the examiner says, "You're cleared to Nearby VOR. Hold northwest of Nearby on the 330 radial, left turns, expect further clearance at 1730, time now is 1712 and one half." That means visualizing or drawing the hold and figuring the entry to use in as little as three minutes (the minimum time ATC is supposed to give you to do that).

3. Partial panel - the 210 has 430W GPS, so I use the heading feature on partial panel, the 182 only has the compass, which is harder on turns etc.
While most examiners encourage the use of GPS during partial panel (and some will bust you for judgement if you don't use one if you have it), the examiner has the option to "kill" the satellites if s/he thinks you are overreliant on the GPS.

Overall it was a good flight, and I learned about what I know and what I don't know.
That's why we do practice checks.

The DPE is known to be a "by the book" kind of guy, 2 of my friends failed with him recently, but both of them claimed it was their fault.
Then expect the DPE to discover any weakness in all three issues mentioned.

If I fail, I'll just complete the tasks the next time, but it would be nice to pass :)
You know what you have to fix -- now fix it and pass.

No date yet, but I'm hoping within 2 weeks.
Plenty of time to get a lot of practice with a pencil and paper copying holding clearances and planning the entries, and you don't need an airplane to practice that.

+1. An even better example of the consequences of failure to "tune & identify" is the G-III that splattered in Houston when the crew tried to shoot an ILS while tuned to the VOR freq. This issue is not limited to check-ride preparation.

Then you'd better start now, because failure to ID is an automatic bust -- and with good reason. .

Major poop on the CFII who didn't emphasize tune and ident the navaid. It's basic IR 101...and very important.

I never had a problem deciding how to enter a hold but I'm with you about the random pop-up hold. First thing is to take a breath, relax, mentally work it out. Yes, 2 times I have received unanticipated pop-up holds in real life. A 3rd time I kinda knew it was likely I would hold.

Last edited:
Then you'd better start now, because failure to ID is an automatic bust -- and with good reason. For example, a couple of years ago, I was flying with a client into Bedford MA (KBED). They'd been on 11 all day due to crummy weather, but the front came through, the air cleared, and the wind shifted to the northwest. They were running visuals to 29, but we asked Boston for the ILS instead. They turned us to the base leg, and the needles came active, but didn't look right. Checked the Morse, and it was I-BED -- the ILS for 11 on the same freq as the ILS to 29 (I-ULJ). Tower had forgotten to throw the big switch to change the ILS. Quick call, the needles go dead, then come alive looking right and the Morse is now I-ULJ. Had we been in the goo and not checked the Morse, it could have been ugly.

The 7-part holding clearance routine (Hold, direction, fix, radial/bearing/course/airway, turns, length and EFC) and constructing an unpublished hold is often underexercised. Make sure you can handle it if the examiner says, "You're cleared to Nearby VOR. Hold northwest of Nearby on the 330 radial, left turns, expect further clearance at 1730, time now is 1712 and one half." That means visualizing or drawing the hold and figuring the entry to use in as little as three minutes (the minimum time ATC is supposed to give you to do that).

While most examiners encourage the use of GPS during partial panel (and some will bust you for judgement if you don't use one if you have it), the examiner has the option to "kill" the satellites if s/he thinks you are overreliant on the GPS.

That's why we do practice checks.

Then expect the DPE to discover any weakness in all three issues mentioned.

You know what you have to fix -- now fix it and pass.

Plenty of time to get a lot of practice with a pencil and paper copying holding clearances and planning the entries, and you don't need an airplane to practice that.

Great post Ron, I plan to do just that. Jason, thanks for the links, I'll look into that. Richard - no CFI is perfect. That's why I took the mock checkride. Other then that the "examiner" was happy with my performance, so its not all bad.

I know that ATC does not care what entry you use to get into a hold, as long as it gets you in quickly and you stay in the protected airspace. I've never had a problem visualizing an entry, or making one for that matter, but is the DPE going to fail you if you don't use a standard entry?

For example, you are approaching a VOR from the south and you are assigned to hold on the 090 radial inbound, right turns. Technically you should use a direct entry, but your entry is more like a teardrop. You get established in the hold just fine. Are you going to get busted for that?

I know that ATC does not care what entry you use to get into a hold, as long as it gets you in quickly and you stay in the protected airspace. I've never had a problem visualizing an entry, or making one for that matter, but is the DPE going to fail you if you don't use a standard entry?
No. From the PTS:
Explains and uses an entry procedure that ensures the
aircraft remains within the holding pattern airspace for a
standard, nonstandard, published, or nonpublished holding
pattern.
Nothing there about being required to use the AIM-recommended entry.

For example, you are approaching a VOR from the south and you are assigned to hold on the 090 radial inbound, right turns. Technically you should use a direct entry, but your entry is more like a teardrop. You get established in the hold just fine. Are you going to get busted for that?
Not if you stayed within the holding pattern ("protected") airspace and can explain the entry you used (sheer luck isn't good enough). That said, it's my experience that sticking with what the AIM recommends provides the most assurance that you will stay within the holding pattern airspace, but as always on technique (as opposed to procedural issues), YMMV.

... That said, it's my experience that sticking with what the AIM recommends provides the most assurance that you will stay within the holding pattern airspace, but as always on technique (as opposed to procedural issues), YMMV.
My thoughts exactly - if I'm flying on the airway east, and they want me to hold east of an intersection - I don't care if its a parallel or teardrop. But I'm going to talk it as I do it - so he knows what I'm thinking.

Some updates – big news first – Checkride Scheduled!!! 1/20/2012. Which is about 3 months longer then I wanted, but that’s life.

Saturday, we flew to Santa Fe, Scottsdale, and back to Flagstaff. Interesting flight, 6 hours flight, 0.5 in actual ink well.

2 interesting parts:
1- While downwind at Santa fe, I had to let 2 guys on final to land, no biggy - extended downwind. Tower said I'm clear of the Diamond on final, so I make a right base, I turn, turn, turn some more, cant find the runway. CFII is looking at me puzzled. Shows me the runway and mentions something I don’t think about as much in VFR – TURN TO A HEADING. Lesson learned.

2nd thing was on the way back from Scottsdale – I asked my CFII for a partial panel approach, at night, after I’ve been flying for 5.5 hours, the weather is bumpy and pitch dark – what better IFR challenge?

I did ok, not great. I couldn’t keep the wings level.

The bumpy air and the erratic turn coordinator needle made it almost impossible. I had NO idea which way is up:hairraise:.

Add that to me being tired and trying to remember how to divide 40 degrees to 3 to calculate how many seconds I need to turn - a challenge it was.

I did manage to zig zag my way to the runway though. And was kinda surprised it was actually there.

Whats left –
Pretty much done with the oral preparation book by ASA.
I suck at weather though. I’ll have to review that again.
Practice holding at an intersection, DME arc, Holding in windy conditions, all of which in the simulator.

Do a quick partial panel stalls and unusual altitudes, in the plane - and that’s it.
I’m trying to schedule that flight for a day before the actual checkride – to freshen up.

Few IFR questions for you:

1. Lets say that I get cleared to "Nearby VOR. Hold northwest of Nearby on the 330 radial, left turns, expect further clearance at 1730, time now is 1712..."

Lets say I need to do a teardrop - when do I report to ATC I'm in the hold? The first time I cross the VOR (beginning the teardrop)? The second time (done with teardrop) or third (after the first "real" hold circle).

2. I'm going missed, Published missed is:
Climbing left turn to 9000 via FLG R-113,
reverse course climbing to 11000 direct to FLG VOR/DME and hold

Lets say I reach FLG VOR/DME at 10,500 - do I climb in the hold, or do I just keep going in the same heading - then turn direct to FLG and make a parallel entrance again?!

I think a friend of mine got it wrong and failed the checkride.

Attachments

• 05034VD21.PDF
    245.4 KB · Views: 14
1. Lets say that I get cleared to "Nearby VOR. Hold northwest of Nearby on the 330 radial, left turns, expect further clearance at 1730, time now is 1712..."

Lets say I need to do a teardrop - when do I report to ATC I'm in the hold? The first time I cross the VOR (beginning the teardrop)? The second time (done with teardrop) or third (after the first "real" hold circle).
First crossing. Ref: AIM 5-3-7:
f. Pilots should report to ATC the time and altitude/flight level at which the aircraft reaches the clearance limit and report leaving the clearance limit.

Lets say I reach FLG VOR/DME at 10,500 - do I climb in the hold, or do I just keep going in the same heading - then turn direct to FLG and make a parallel entrance again?!
Climb in the hold. You are not cleared to fly beyond the holding fix (FLG), which has become your clearance limit.

Few IFR questions for you:

I think a friend of mine got it wrong and failed the checkride.

I'll take a stab at it and learn something if I'm wrong...

1. Is easy. You're not "established" in the hold until you've turned inbound and have intercepted the inbound course. No radio call until established. After the teardrop AND if you didn't completely blow the radial intercept, and you're on it... Now you're established in the hold.

2. Is a little fuzzy but the terrain is the reason. They want you away from that giant brown blob up top there. ;) You're restricted to fly the 113 radial FROM until 9000' and then reverse course to both keep you away from Flagstaff mountain but also to keep you in a known location until you're higher than the smaller but just as solid and deadly brown blob that's just over 8700 tall southeast. When you arrive back at the VOR you won't be on the 293 TO, you're DIRECT from whichever side of the radial your turn made you.

That's the thing they were picking on your friend about. He's not established in the hold when he arrives back at the VOR and then makes an entry. He still has to do an entry.

The course reversal doesn't stipulate how or which direction, so you could be going "direct" to the VOR from any angle really.

Once you get there, then you are doing whatever appropriate holding entry required and you're not established yet in the hold.

Theoretical example: Why make the course reversal on the radial to the right? It's not required. Go left and you're set up for a Direct entry.

There's no requirement to stay on the protected hold side in a non-specific course reversal.

Ahh but wait... Is that smart?

There is a very good reason to go right, even though it's not required. The MSA ring.

You're at 9000 turning back direct to the VOR on a non-depicted course line. Maybe south is better. Your call.

Either way, you're not established in the hold until you go DIRECT to the VOR, do the entry, and intercept inbound with 293 set and tracking that radial.

You'll arrive at the VOR after the course reversal and DIRECT on something like a heading of 310 or whatever if you turned right.

Only then -- over the VOR -- does the hold entry start.

Could you do a procedure turn and pick up 293 inbound? You could, but that's not the text. It says reverse and DIRECT.

I think that's the piece they were trying to point out to your friend.

I am not yet an IFR pilot and I don't play one on TV, so Your Mileage May Vary. ;)

Ron has a way with (few) words. I blew the fix crossing reporting requirement. ;)

Thanks Ron and Nate!

Ron - prior to asking - Ive looked through the AIM and 5-3-7 is the only reference I've found, so I tend to agree with you.

I asked my CFII the same questions.
He said - "You are established the 2nd time you are over the VOR after the teardrop" - What Nate said.

As for the 2nd question:
He said - since you are ordered to go to 11000 first - you go to 11000, then direct. He agreed its not what he would do, but that's what needed for the check ride.

Nate, I liked what you said about the MSA. Jesse thought you well, I'm going to use that!

Also, I made a mistake, my friend busted ME for the FLG approacht, he actually got busted for climbing in the hold in Prescott's ILS 21L (see attached)

MISSED APPROACH: Climb to 5600, then climbing
right turn to 9000 via DRK VORTAC and DRK R-305,
then turn right direct DRK VORTAC and hold.

He made a teardrop and failed.

Attachments

• 00546ID21L.PDF
    309.2 KB · Views: 12
Ron - prior to asking - Ive looked through the AIM and 5-3-7 is the only reference I've found, so I tend to agree with you.
Documentation is always nice...

I asked my CFII the same questions.
He said - "You are established the 2nd time you are over the VOR after the teardrop" - What Nate said.
...so ask your "CFII" for documentation for that answer.

He said - since you are ordered to go to 11000 first - you go to 11000, then direct.
That's not what the procedure says.
...is not the same as...
reverse course climbing to 11000 then direct to FLG VOR/DME and hold
Further...
He agreed its not what he would do, but that's what needed for the check ride.
...if the DPE says that, get the DPE to justify that statement based on the AIM or other FAA instrument flight procedures guidance.

Also, I made a mistake, my friend busted ME for the FLG approacht, he actually got busted for climbing in the hold in Prescott's ILS 21L (see attached)

MISSED APPROACH: Climb to 5600, then climbing
right turn to 9000 via DRK VORTAC and DRK R-305,
then turn right direct DRK VORTAC and hold.

He made a teardrop and failed.
Started the turn back to DRK before reaching 9000 on the 305 radial? Yeah, I guess that would be a bust, since it says "then turn right direct DRK VORTAC." Probably something sticking up within the holding area northeast of the radial, but not close enough to affect tracking on the radial itself.

Nice contrast between the two procedures on that "then" point.

Documentation is always nice...

...so ask your "CFII" for documentation for that answer.

That's not what the procedure says.
...is not the same as...
Further...
...if the DPE says that, get the DPE to justify that statement based on the AIM or other FAA instrument flight procedures guidance.

Started the turn back to DRK before reaching 9000 on the 305 radial? Yeah, I guess that would be a bust, since it says "then turn right direct DRK VORTAC." Probably something sticking up within the holding area northeast of the radial, but not close enough to affect tracking on the radial itself.

Nice contrast between the two procedures on that "then" point.

Originally Posted by denverpilot
Ron has a way with (few) words....

Case closed.
"Then" :mad2:

So, my CFII calls yesterday - "The 210's vac pump failed, they are going to replace it".

Man, that plane IS falling apart. At least I don't own it, I feel bad for the owner though.

The CFII said - "that's usually what happens the 1st year you own a used airplane - you get to find out what was "almost" wore out when it was pre-purchase inspected!
After you spend that first year fixing everything, NOW you have a reliable airplane, but that 1st year is hell!"

So, you guessed it. Checkride is postponed for a week.

I work flex hours, so I worked my A$$ off for the last two weeks to have a day and a half off for the checkride.

Now I have a day and a half to do something fun.
I think I'm going to start working on my GLIDER add-on.

Might not be the best idea, but I haven't flown in about 2 weeks and I'm about to go crazy.

Last week the weather was pretty bad, so the DPE e-mails yesterday and asks to re-schedule.
The weather for MY checkride is great, but there are a lot of out-of-country students that had to cancel theirs, are now staying in hotels, and REALLY need to get their ratings.

I agreed to push it back one more week. I mean, wouldn't you?

2/3/12 is the new date. I'm on flight-idle right now.
Going to get some gliding on Saturday.

Then you'd better start now, because failure to ID is an automatic bust -- and with good reason.
There was a crash a few years ago (at KSHD I believe) where the reconstruction determined the pilot was tracking a nearby VOR and not the localizer.

On my own checkride I mistuned the loc frequency for the approach. I swear I would have caught it when I went to ID it but fortunately my 480 went "bonk ... you selected an ILS approach but you didn't tune the localizer, I'll just put it in the standby for you"

Last edited:
There was a crash a few years ago (at KSHD I believe) where the reconstruction determined the pilot was tracking a nearby VOR and not the localizer.

On my own checkride I mistuned the loc frequency for the approach. I swear I would have caught it when I went to ID it but fortunately my 480 went "bonk ... you selected an ILS approach but you didn't tune the localizer, I'll just put it in the standby for you"

Ouch, I'll be using a 430W, don't know if it'll do it, I should probably check though.

Ouch, I'll be using a 430W, don't know if it'll do it, I should probably check though.
Yes, it will, and that's the sort of thing you should know for this ride. You might consider another review of the manual before the ride. In fact, there's still time to order the EFS training package for the 430 and go through it before your ride on 2/3.
http://www.sunflightavionics.com/garmin-computerbased-trainer-p-145.html
Might teach you something you didn't know about your 430.

...Snip... You might consider another review of the manual before the ride
Will do for sure! Good idea.
In fact, there's still time to order the EFS training package for the 430 and go through it before your ride on 2/3.
http://www.sunflightavionics.com/garmin-computerbased-trainer-p-145.html
Might teach you something you didn't know about your 430.
Thanks for the link. Here's what I think:
I'll probably NEVER fly this plane after I'm done with the IR.
Who knows when I'll run into a 430 again - most rentals around here barely have a transponder. :rolleyes:
My goal as far as using the 430 is to know everything I'll need for VFR/IFR (probably a little more) and be proficient.

I've been using the 430/530 Trainer from Garmin, and read the manual once or twice.

Would you recommend going the extra mile or save the money and review the manual and practice in the Trainer?

Would you recommend going the extra mile or save the money and review the manual and practice in the Trainer?
Without seeing you in action in flightk I really can't say. The question is whether you can use it effectively to complete the checkride.

If you have one approach loaded, can you quickly and surely change to another approach at another airport? Do you know how to use the OBS function to do random holds at an intersection? Can you quickly set the unit to join an approach in the middle, either at the IF or joining a leg? Do you know how to program a flight plan including a SID or STAR, and how to insert a STAR into an existing FPL? Those are probably the most demanding tasks upon which you'll be called to perform on an IR practical test.

In addition, do you understand the differences between LPV, L/VNAV, and LNAV+V when those are displayed, and the meaning of the presence or absence of the shaded final segment below DH on GPS approaches with vertical guidance?

If you can handle all that, then you're good to go. If not, you need to get back in the books and/or trainer and learn more. And while you may never fly that particular plane again, with over 100,000 units in the field, the Garmin 430/530 series has become nearly ubiquitous, so you're very likely to be flying with one again later on.

Thanks for the link. Here's what I think:
I'll probably NEVER fly this plane after I'm done with the IR.
Who knows when I'll run into a 430 again - most rentals around here barely have a transponder.?
The complexity of today's avionics has made the old school notion of being able to fly IFR in any plane you're comfortable flying VFR obsolete although the FAA hasn't really caught up with that yet. The bottom line is that in the future you will need to spend a fair amount of time learning any new to you IFR GPS, Glass panel, etc. before taking the plane it's mounted to on a solo IFR flight. So look at this instance as one of many to come in the future and learn the box well. And since the 430W is currently one of the most common IFR GPS boxes flying, there IS a good chance you'll be flying with one in the not too distant future.

Without seeing you in action in flightk I really can't say. The question is whether you can use it effectively to complete the checkride.

If you have one approach loaded, can you quickly and surely change to another approach at another airport? Do you know how to use the OBS function to do random holds at an intersection? Can you quickly set the unit to join an approach in the middle, either at the IF or joining a leg? Do you know how to program a flight plan including a SID or STAR, and how to insert a STAR into an existing FPL? Those are probably the most demanding tasks upon which you'll be called to perform on an IR practical test.

In addition, do you understand the differences between LPV, L/VNAV, and LNAV+V when those are displayed, and the meaning of the presence or absence of the shaded final segment below DH on GPS approaches with vertical guidance?

Ron, good questions/tasks!
I really REALLY appreciate you taking the time and coming up with these.

I think the answer for most of those questions is yes, but I'm going to through all of these in the trainer.

while you may never fly that particular plane again, with over 100,000 units in the field, the Garmin 430/530 series has become nearly ubiquitous, so you're very likely to be flying with one again later on.
The complexity of today's avionics has made the old school notion of being able to fly IFR in any plane you're comfortable flying VFR obsolete although the FAA hasn't really caught up with that yet. The bottom line is that in the future you will need to spend a fair amount of time learning any new to you IFR GPS, Glass panel, etc. before taking the plane it's mounted to on a solo IFR flight. So look at this instance as one of many to come in the future and learn the box well. And since the 430W is currently one of the most common IFR GPS boxes flying, there IS a good chance you'll be flying with one in the not too distant future.
Agreed, and before that happens, I'll have to give myself a refresher course because like everybody else, I forget what I don't use.

Which reminds me, I should probably play with the E6b a little.

Ron, good questions/tasks!
I really REALLY appreciate you taking the time and coming up with these.
Thanks, but it didn't take much time at all -- just a bit of recollecting things that examiners have done to my trainees on IR rides.

Agreed, and before that happens, I'll have to give myself a refresher course because like everybody else, I forget what I don't use.
Amen -- would that everyone understood the Laws of Recency and Exercise.

Checkride tomorrow. Really. Is this going to happen finally?!

In the last few days I have:
Flown all the approaches in the sim, most with partial panel in moderate turbulence (nightmare).

A few holds on an intersection or a DME.

Reviewed the oral exam prep book.

Reviewed Ron's questions tasks - got all of them other then
the meaning of the presence or absence of the shaded final segment below DH on GPS approaches with vertical guidance?

Flight bag is ready with all the paperwork and charts.

Meeting with the CFII at 7:45, flying for an hour or so, then the checkride at 10.

Going to have a quick look at the PTS to see what I forget.

Wish me luck, I can't wait to violate some clouds:)

C'mon, between your checkride and another friend's first X/C, I've been on pins and needles all day today!

Back