Getting ready for my solo

storm77

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Storm77
I have recently started my flight classes. Soon it will be time for my solo. Can anyone recommend additional study resources for the Pre-solo knowledge exam and what is to be expected on my solo flight

Kinda Nervous

Thank you

Welcome to POA!

Don't be nervous. By the time your instructor says you are ready to solo, you are ready. Just do what you have been doing to get you to this point and nothing more. Nervousness is caused by the unknown, your training has covered most all of the skills you will need to solo.

Doing aileron rolls right after take off on your fist solo is highly discouraged, but an offical "war hoop" upon engine shut down (after landing) is acceptable. You'll do just fine.....don't forget to breath!

Congrats!

Last edited:
Welcome to the POA forums!

The presolo quiz that I had last year was about 20 questions or so, and related to the airplane performace, like what airspeed for best glide, Vx, Vy, an emergency procedure or two. There were also airspace questions to recognize items on the sectional chart, and what are the boundrys of the practice area you can train in when you fly solo.

Just follow along with your ground studies and what your instructor teaches you and you'll be fine when the time comes.

Where are you from / training at?

What to expect when you solo?.... Hmm,... it's indescribable in words. You'll love the feeling. Here's how I felt about mine! CLICK HERE

FAR 61.87(b)(1) covers what your instructor can ask you about...because each CFI creates his/her own test, it's hard to guess where the emphasis might fall. Keep in mind that pre-solo, a student isn't expected to be a whiz at anything, so expect the test to concentrate on the local airport, the airplane you are flying, and the regulations concerning student pilot responsibilities.

Bob Gardner

Bob, Thank you

I will review the FAR 61.87(b)(1)

Welcome to POA!

Don't be nervous. By the time your instructor says you are ready to solo, you are ready. Just do what you have been doing to get you to this point and nothing more. Nervousness is caused by the unknown, your training has covered most all of the skills you will need to solo.

Doing aileron rolls right after take off on your fist solo is highly discouraged, but an offical "war hoop" upon engine shut down (after landing) is acceptable. You'll do just fine.....don't forget to breath!

Congrats

Thank you for the vote of confidence -- I will not do aileron rolls (on purpose) --

And Yes, sometimes, I do forget to breath.

Again, Thanks

Welcome to the POA forums!

The presolo quiz that I had last year was about 20 questions or so, and related to the airplane performace, like what airspeed for best glide, Vx, Vy, an emergency procedure or two. There were also airspace questions to recognize items on the sectional chart, and what are the boundrys of the practice area you can train in when you fly solo.

Just follow along with your ground studies and what your instructor teaches you and you'll be fine when the time comes.

Where are you from / training at?

What to expect when you solo?.... Hmm,... it's indescribable in words. You'll love the feeling. Here's how I felt about mine! CLICK HERE

Wow -- what a windy day -- but, your video looks like you "mastered the flight and the wind"

I will just keep studying

thank you

Bob's reference is correct. Additionally, a good look through the POH to remember some numbers would be good. When do you climb out? When do you apply flaps? Things like that. My instructor also asked me what I'd do if my headset stopped working (simple answer first is try the mic and speaker). Interestingly, that didn't happen to me on my first solo, but it did happen to me last month in the Mooney.

Generally, you just get the basic questions. The most important thing to remember is that your instructor will not let you go before he/she believes you are ready. Seeing as instructors have a lot of personal liability if they're wrong, they're not going to cut you loose before you're actually ready. So if your instructor says you're good to go, believe in yourself. You aren't expected to be perfect - it's all about being good enough to go learn how to be better.

For me, taxiing from where I let my instructor out of the plane was the most nervous part. Once I got in the air, it was all good and felt right. I've found with most things in flying, the most nervous part is the anticipation. Once you actually get off the ground and are on your way, the nervousness has always gone away for me and I just enjoy it.

Bob's reference is correct. Additionally, a good look through the POH to remember some numbers would be good. When do you climb out? When do you apply flaps? Things like that. My instructor also asked me what I'd do if my headset stopped working (simple answer first is try the mic and speaker). Interestingly, that didn't happen to me on my first solo, but it did happen to me last month in the Mooney.

Generally, you just get the basic questions. The most important thing to remember is that your instructor will not let you go before he/she believes you are ready. Seeing as instructors have a lot of personal liability if they're wrong, they're not going to cut you loose before you're actually ready. So if your instructor says you're good to go, believe in yourself. You aren't expected to be perfect - it's all about being good enough to go learn how to be better.

For me, taxiing from where I let my instructor out of the plane was the most nervous part. Once I got in the air, it was all good and felt right. I've found with most things in flying, the most nervous part is the anticipation. Once you actually get off the ground and are on your way, the nervousness has always gone away for me and I just enjoy it.

Hi Ted,

you are absolutely right -- it seems like I will be asked and/or expected to know the more difficult details - i should however, garner a strong understanding of the process/sequence of the basic details.

I am trying to dismiss my nervousness -- but, it still lingers

Thank you

I have recently started my flight classes. Soon it will be time for my solo. Can anyone recommend additional study resources for the Pre-solo knowledge exam and what is to be expected on my solo flight

Kinda Nervous

Thank you
The biggest thing is to relax.

Know your plane's procedures and v-speeds and you will do fine!!

Do also remember it is you flying the airplane, and you fly all the way to the ramp, flying does not stop the second you do you round out. So watch all those wind corrections and fly the plane to a stop.

The biggest thing is to relax.

Know your plane's procedures and v-speeds and you will do fine!!

Do also remember it is you flying the airplane, and you fly all the way to the ramp, flying does not stop the second you do you round out. So watch all those wind corrections and fly the plane to a stop.

My instructor tells me "Fly the Airplane" -- sometimes, I have been slow to take action because I don't know what will happen if I do this or that.

I am learning to be more in control

And of course, I should fly all the way until I stop the plane -- and not let go!

You would be surprised how many people that once you are in the round out 'autoland' takes over.

I will definitely be mindful of this -- I want to land the plane and be able to get out and touch the ground safely.

I am trying to dismiss my nervousness -- but, it still lingers
A certain amount of nervousness is normal, for some people more than others. Just don't let it overwhelm you.

As far as the details go, they are important but don't get so focused on them that you lose sight of the big picture. Like your instructor says, fly the airplane.

I'll offer the stuff I wished I'd thought of before my first solo (not that it didn't go just fine; it did):

-Relax, because you've done it before without the instructor touching the controls. Say that out loud one time before you take off: "I've already done this!" You can get all "Wow,amazing, I soloed!!" afterwards. :D

But in fact you will have flown a circuit and landing all on your own prior to that; only real difference is that the instructor was there to bail you out if needed. But it won't be needed, right? :D

-Expect the unexpected. Do some chair-flying, and throw situations at yourself. Try to think of some surprise or problem you haven't covered in your reading, ground school, or your dual flights. There's bound to be something. If you can't come up with the answers, ask your instructor.

Example: on my first solo trip around the pattern, everyone decided to change runways (no tower,one runway, ops allowed only on one side) right after I was downwind. There was traffic in front of and behind me. My instructor had actually warned me that might happen, but I forgot to ask:

Where in the pattern should you turn around, and which way? The way I chose was "wrong", but it was a safe, conservative choice. But had I thought about it before, or asked, I would have been better-prepared, and it would have been less stressful.

Then there's the stuff I thought of beforehand and used to my advantage:

-Make sure you and the plane are ready (usually the solo follows some dual...so are you sure fuel, oil, etc. are OK? Did you look at that tire after that rough landing before the instructor got out? Do you have to hydrate, or visit the bathroom? Do you just need a quick breather?)
-Take your time
-Use the checklists
-Know the v-speeds, but do not keep your eyes inside too much
-Announce, listen, and look
-Be ready for a lighter airplane. Even if your instructor is a small person, you will notice the difference. It shouldn't be a problem... in fact you will like it. But be aware of this fact as you take off, and as you begin the approach to land.

I'll offer the stuff I wished I'd thought of before my first solo (not that it didn't go just fine; it did):

-Relax, because you've done it before without the instructor touching the controls. Say that out loud one time before you take off: "I've already done this!" You can get all "Wow,amazing, I soloed!!" afterwards. :D

But in fact you will have flown a circuit and landing all on your own prior to that; only real difference is that the instructor was there to bail you out if needed. But it won't be needed, right? :D

-Expect the unexpected. Do some chair-flying, and throw situations at yourself. Try to think of some surprise or problem you haven't covered in your reading, ground school, or your dual flights. There's bound to be something. If you can't come up with the answers, ask your instructor.

Example: on my first solo trip around the pattern, everyone decided to change runways (no tower,one runway, ops allowed only on one side) right after I was downwind. There was traffic in front of and behind me. My instructor had actually warned me that might happen, but I forgot to ask:

Where in the pattern should you turn around, and which way? The way I chose was "wrong", but it was a safe, conservative choice. But had I thought about it before, or asked, I would have been better-prepared, and it would have been less stressful.

Then there's the stuff I thought of beforehand and used to my advantage:

-Make sure you and the plane are ready (usually the solo follows some dual...so are you sure fuel, oil, etc. are OK? Did you look at that tire after that rough landing before the instructor got out? Do you have to hydrate, or visit the bathroom? Do you just need a quick breather?)
-Take your time
-Use the checklists
-Know the v-speeds, but do not keep your eyes inside too much
-Announce, listen, and look
-Be ready for a lighter airplane. Even if your instructor is a small person, you will notice the difference. It shouldn't be a problem... in fact you will like it. But be aware of this fact as you take off, and as you begin the approach to land.

I didn't think about chair-flying, and throwing (unexpected) situations my way.

I believe, this should help out quite a bit.

Great advice

A certain amount of nervousness is normal, for some people more than others. Just don't let it overwhelm you.

As far as the details go, they are important but don't get so focused on them that you lose sight of the big picture. Like your instructor says, fly the airplane.

Yes, I need to keep nervousness in check

My mission is to "Fly the Airplane"

Thank you

Difficult details are not for first solo, it's simple details. You are expected to know more details by the time you go for your check ride, but even then it's not so much difficult details as important details. If you keep up with your learning, by the time you get to higher up ratings it becomes more natural.

When I was at your point in flying, I had one person who would ask me questions about what to do if a situation occurred and I would come up with the technically correct response, and he would always say "Fly the plane." I got annoyed with him since I was coming up with the technically correct response and he would give me this simple, seemingly obvious answer, but it was good to be reminded that the first step is always to fly the plane. On more than one occasion that has been a good first step to remember for me when something has gone wrong and I need to think some about what I want to do to deal with the problem. But those stories are for another day. :)

I didn't think about chair-flying, and throwing (unexpected) situations my way.

I believe, this should help out quite a bit.

Great advice
As with the flying itself, you should be ready for handling surprises on your own by the time you are "turned loose"... but it might be smart to just visualize a few non-standard things on top of the emergency checklists, etc.
BTW: do you know the answer to my question about changing the pattern? :D

Hint: my decision, which was "wrong" in that it is not the typical way, was to extend my downwind and turn around way beyond the normal turn-to-base point (which was now beyond the departure end of the runway, not the approach end).
The "correct" way is more expedient, but it might not be the first thing a first-solo pilot might think of. :D

Getting back to what others have said here: the only reason my "wrong" turnaround method worked without creating a hazard for me or others was... drumroll please... I thought first and foremost of just flying the airplane.
I knew how to leave the pattern and just come back; that would have been OK too... as long as I just kept flying the plane before deciding anything else.

That fact is very true: "fly the plane" should be Item #1 on all in-flight checklists, and Item #1 when you need to change your plan unexpectedly.
And probably also Items 2, 3, and 4... :D

Last edited:
Difficult details are not for first solo, it's simple details. You are expected to know more details by the time you go for your check ride, but even then it's not so much difficult details as important details. If you keep up with your learning, by the time you get to higher up ratings it becomes more natural.

When I was at your point in flying, I had one person who would ask me questions about what to do if a situation occurred and I would come up with the technically correct response, and he would always say "Fly the plane." I got annoyed with him since I was coming up with the technically correct response and he would give me this simple, seemingly obvious answer, but it was good to be reminded that the first step is always to fly the plane. On more than one occasion that has been a good first step to remember for me when something has gone wrong and I need to think some about what I want to do to deal with the problem. But those stories are for another day. :)

I guess that saying of keep things simple would apply to flying the airplane and remember simple details.

But, it is always great to know the technical responses and perform simple actions

Thank you

As with the flying itself, you should be ready for handling surprises on your own by the time you are "turned loose"... but it might be smart to just visualize a few non-standard things on top of the emergency checklists, etc.
BTW: do you know the answer to my question about changing the pattern? :D

Hint: my decision, which was "wrong" in that it is not the typical way, was to extend my downwind and turn around way beyond the normal turn-to-base point (which was now beyond the departure end of the runway, not the approach end).
The "correct" way is more expedient, but it might not be the first thing a first-solo pilot might think of. :D

Getting back to what others have said here: the only reason my "wrong" turnaround method worked without creating a hazard for me or others was... drumroll please... I thought first and foremost of just flying the airplane.
I knew how to leave the pattern and just come back; that would have been OK too... as long as I just kept flying the plane before deciding anything else.

That fact is very true: "fly the plane" should be Item #1 on all in-flight checklists, and Item #1 when you need to change your plan unexpectedly.
And probably also Items 2, 3, and 4... :D

I think that I would have probably choosen the same decision - of course, I would have announced that I was a student pilot before take-off and maybe during sometime in-flight.

I hear you and others loud and clear -- "Fly the Plane"!!!

Thank you

FWIW, I was told afterwards that the usual way to reverse direction on downwind is to turn outside, rejoining the same leg in the opposite direction... aparently that's what the planes behind me did, but they did no describe in detail what they were doing.

Dear Kinda Nervous,

My first solo was in 1977 at a young age, I had no fear and everything went fine.
My second solo was last Dec (2007). I was so nervous my hand was sweating so badly I had it out the window in 15 degrees. You will do fine, just listen to your instructor. He/She will know when you are ready. Good luck. Let us know when the big day arrives.

If you listen real close you can still hear your CFI next to you.

If in doubt, go around, collect your thoughts there is no rush and no forcing.

With everything else try to relax and enjoy it.

Congratulations. I took 3 pre-solo exams and they all covered those kinds of things your CFI wants to make sure you know about while up there by yourself. "What do you do if the radio goes out?" "What are the Vspeeds for your airplane?"

Here is my first solo story. http://auntpeggy.home.att.net/soloday.html

FWIW, I was told afterwards that the usual way to reverse direction on downwind is to turn outside, rejoining the same leg in the opposite direction... aparently that's what the planes behind me did, but they did no describe in detail what they were doing.

So, in addition to swiching directions on the runway, they switched from a left hand (I assume) to a right hand pattern? And, had there been no-radio aircraft (who didn't hear the announcement) already on downwind, they would now be flying head on?

At what point would they switch back to the left hand pattern? (assuming a right hand pattern isn't required for that runway)

I would have thought the right thing to do would be to continue on what is now a "upwind" and stick with the left hand pattern through crosswind, new downwind, etc.

My instructor tells me "Fly the Airplane" -- sometimes, I have been slow to take action because I don't know what will happen if I do this or that.

I am learning to be more in control

And of course, I should fly all the way until I stop the plane -- and not let go!

That's why "control effects" should be demonstrated in the first couple of hours. You should know what happens when you use a control, whether it is the throttle, the yoke, or the flap handle. Tell your instructor that you want to do some experimenting if s/he has not already done this. There's no way you are going to hurt the plane or crash in flames.

I did the majority of my instructing in Cherokees, with the nice red master switch directly in line with the throttle; more than once, a student expressed concern over what would happen if s/he accidentally turned off the master...so I turned it off. Lost the radios momentarily but the airplane flew just fine. Other students expressed concern about leaning because they used the red knob to kill the engine after parking...so I killed the engine with the mixture. Got kind of quiet, but the airplane kept flying (didn't maintain altitude, though). Other students (I did this for thirty years) were reluctant to use full aileron travel, or full flaps, or full rudder. So you should learn what will happen if you do "this or that" while your instructor is sitting next to you.

Bob Gardner

Just recalled another "pre-solo" question: "When are you allowed to practice maneuvers within the boundaries of a Class D airspace?"

So, in addition to swiching directions on the runway, they switched from a left hand (I assume) to a right hand pattern? And, had there been no-radio aircraft (who didn't hear the announcement) already on downwind, they would now be flying head on?

At what point would they switch back to the left hand pattern? (assuming a right hand pattern isn't required for that runway)

I would have thought the right thing to do would be to continue on what is now a "upwind" and stick with the left hand pattern through crosswind, new downwind, etc.

At that airport, 19 required a left-hand pattern and 01 required a right-hand pattern (noise abatement).

Were it not for that, yes, it'd make sense to just make the downwind an upwind, and carry on as usual.

Back