Getting PPL

David Yemm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I am close to completing my PPL. Any recomendations on a good book to reference for the oral section.

What 455BU said.... x10
Go over every imaginable question... then tab it in the FAR/AIM / PHAK / AFH.
By the end of doing that you most likely will have the info memorized, but just in case.... you'll have it tabbed.

Ok. Thanks, I'm heading to the store to get tabs!

That is exactly what I did. Remember, the DPE doesn't necessarily expect you to know every answer, but s/he will expect you to be able to find it. There were a few questions I was asked that I didn't know off the top of my head, I just said "let me look it up" and all was fine.

I read the Private Pilot Oral Exam Guide Eleventh edition cover to cover a couple times. Definitely helped, although the examiner didn't seem to ask a ton a book questions. More application questions than answering what you memorized from a book.

Study the ACS. Print it out and discard the pages that don't apply to PP SEL. Its about 115 pages but when you get rid of the parts that don't apply to PP SEL and the flying portion you'll have about 30 or 35 pages of questions the DPE will ask you. Each page has 3 sections for each task (Knowledge, Risk Mgmt, and skills). The DPE will pick his questions directly from the ACS so have a short answer ready for each possible question in the Knowledge, and risk mgmt section. He'll pick one from each section for each task. He will also ask you every question in the "skills" section so make sure you can answer each question for each task. Sounds confusing but when you look at the ACS you'll see what I mean.

Got my ticket in May of this year, and the oral portion was all from the ACS. The PP oral exam guide was the book I used to make sure I had the correct answers for the ACS.

After about 30 minutes of rapid fire questions and answers, the DPE look at me and said "sounds like you know this stuff, lets go fly". Months of studying the ACS, and Oral Exam Guide and it was over in 30 minutes.

Good luck.

I just passed my checkride on Sept 12th. I studied the AIM, used dauntless ride ready app ( great for questions and rational), and got Access to a video from passfaaexam. All where great. I also had questions and answers cheat sheet from this forum which helped a lot. Let's just say my oral felt like I was over prepared. It was really fun and flowed like a conversation. Don't sweat it.

Your instructor will likely be the best reference...however, I used Gleim (PTS at the time). Would be good to check out their current ACS Oral Exam Guide

Back