Getting people into flying

Iceman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
This morning I was wondering what would be a good way to introduce people to flying. I got thinking that church fund raisers, school learning contest, etc. would be a good place to give away discovery flight certificates. For the school contest I could go into a High School classroom and teach them about flying and answer their questions. I might ask them a final question and the person who answers the best will receive a free discovery flight.

I'm wondering if anyone else thinks this is a good idea?
How much liability am I taking on...should I just give them $49 instead so I'm not linked to their flying? I think I would be taking on a lot less risk than taking them up with me.?.

I just offer to take folks up with me for free.

"You're a pilot? Cool. What's it like?"
"Well, I'm going up this Saturday. Want to find out? I've got an extra seat and I'm just going up to stay in form."
"Really? Yeah, I'd love to..."

9 out of 10 times, I've got a new passenger. I've actually got a waiting list now...along with one new student at a local flight school and another that's starting as soon as he's settled in his new house!

Taking my first passenger up this weekend. I have a feeling he'll end up taking lessons within the year....

I did encourage a few folks to contact 1-888-be a pilot, and I still feel that's a great program.

Iceman said:
This morning I was wondering what would be a good way to introduce people to flying. I got thinking that church fund raisers, school learning contest, etc. would be a good place to give away discovery flight certificates. For the school contest I could go into a High School classroom and teach them about flying and answer their questions. I might ask them a final question and the person who answers the best will receive a free discovery flight.

How much liability am I taking on...should I just give them $49 instead so I'm not linked to their flying? I think I would be taking on a lot less risk than taking them up with me.?.

""I could go into a High School classroom and teach them about flying and answer their questions.""

and give every kid, a card that is good for a 30 minute ride in your aircraft at your expense.

Your insurance covers Pax, FAA can't care who you are giving rides to.

Maybe Cap'n Ron will provide us the benefit of his knowledge, but I know the "free flight as a prize in a fundraiser" one has come up before.

FAA counts goodwill as reward just as much as money as I recall.

SJP said:
Maybe Cap'n Ron will provide us the benefit of his knowledge, but I know the "free flight as a prize in a fundraiser" one has come up before.

FAA counts goodwill as reward just as much as money as I recall.

rules change when you offer a "prize" things also change mention FUND raiser.

NO ONE can stop you from GIVING away time, money, or your services.

When you go flying and pay for all expenses, as in GIVING rides to kids, you are gaining flight time, but YOU are paying for it, not the kids, or a certified charity.

When a kid returns one of the cards you gave out, all that card does is identify them as a kid you promised a ride to. NOTHING on that card can say PRIZE, Reward, etc.

NC19143 said:
rules change when you offer a "prize" things also change mention FUND raiser.

NO ONE can stop you from GIVING away time, money, or your services.

When you go flying and pay for all expenses, as in GIVING rides to kids, you are gaining flight time, but YOU are paying for it, not the kids, or a certified charity.

When a kid returns one of the cards you gave out, all that card does is identify them as a kid you promised a ride to. NOTHING on that card can say PRIZE, Reward, etc.

Sounds about right - thanks for the clarification :)

Iceman said:

I've done AOPA Instructor Pilot, Be A Pilot, Pilot Mentor and lots of free rides but, when donating 1 hour of flightseeing and/or instruction in a C150 or C172 at local school "Auction Fundraisers" the hours go for $400.00 each !?!

First off, the FAA doesn't care if you give away free rides as prizes, as long as nobody has to pay to play (e.g., sweepstakes sort of deal). As a prize for a no-entry-fee contest, it's no problem.

On the liability front, yes, you certainly do put your assets at risk if you give rides to kids. Note that most aviation liability policies have a $100K/seat limit for passengers, and if somebody's kid gets killed or, from a financial point even worse, permanently injured (long term care costs more than a funeral), you could be in it deep if something bad happened. Chances of that? Real slim, but it is a perceptible risk. However, no matter what you do, don't EVER take a minor child up on a deal like this without a signed permission from a parent/legal guardian. Even if nothing goes wrong, you could get in deep trouble if you don't get that in advance.

I know this couple that likes to do adventurous things on special occasions. For their 30th birthdays, they went bungee jumping. For their 35th, skydiving. As the 40th approached, talk one day turned to acrobatics. Of course I offered Steve a ride. We yanked and banked and looped and rolled and all kinds of stuff. He loved it. A few weeks later it was time for his lovely bride to take her turn. As I strapped her into her chute and then helped her into the back of the airplane, I couldn't help but notice she was very nervous. So I stopped everything. Turns out she committed to do acro because her husband had gone, but she was actually a very nervous flier. Whoa! She didn't think this was important to share before an acro flight?!?!? So we put away the chutes and did a low-power, low-altitude flight with the window open and the music playing and bounced around a bunch of grass strips for an while. She loved it.

The moral of this story is that when you're flying new passengers, make sure they know what they're signing up for. We all sometimes lose sight of the fact that there are a lot of people who get very nervous at the thought of flying in what an ex-girlfriend (emphasis on EX) graciously referred to as "puke buckets." Their reason for flying may not be immediately apparent -- and may not be what you think it is.

The EAA has the YOUNG EAGLES program. It is a fair way of introducing 7-17 year olds to flying. There's reading material, poster keepsakes, and, most important, the signed authorization from their parent. While they do provide some liability insurance, I do not have the details of it.
I believe Diana has mentioned Young Eagles a few times as has others. If you're interested, you must be an EAA member to participate. There are chapters around the country (generally a separate fee to join) that hold fly-ins and include Young Eagle flights.
I've done 3. They were about the best flying I ever did.

Ron Levy said:
First off, the FAA doesn't care if you give away free rides as prizes, as long as nobody has to pay to play (e.g., sweepstakes sort of deal). As a prize for a no-entry-fee contest, it's no problem.

I didn't know that,

Ron Levy said:
On the liability front, yes, you certainly do put your assets at risk if you give rides to kids.

just as you do with any pax.

Ron Levy said:
Note that most aviation liability policies have a $100K/seat limit for passengers, and if somebody's kid gets killed or, from a financial point even worse, permanently injured (long term care costs more than a funeral), you could be in it deep if something bad happened.

100K ain't near enought for today, for any pax.

Ron Levy said:
Chances of that? Real slim, but it is a perceptible risk. However, no matter what you do, don't EVER take a minor child up on a deal like this without a signed permission from a parent/legal guardian. Even if nothing goes wrong, you could get in deep trouble if you don't get that in advance.

OOOOOOOOOOOhhh Yeah,
My card has a place for the parent to sign giving permission, a few of my fellow pilots also honor the cards, the teachers in OH school system give them out.

make up a printer lable, and print it on business card paper. off the home computer.

front side

This card is good for 1, 30 minute flight with ________

back side

__________ has permission to fly with _________ on ______
Signed ________.

it is an easy do.

I enjoy taking people up and I try to include the whole family buy encouraging an airport visit. I let them absorb the the big picture of people and planes. That includes a visit to the weather area (If there is one) and a describe a very brief flight planing senerio to show them what pilots go through. By the time we walk back to the ramp there is a request for a plane ride and then we go through all the steps to get ready for flight. The kids enjoy it and they feel a part of the "Experience". If the whole family wants to go I take them in sections(can't fit them all in my plane). It takes about a half a day but they get to see how much of it works at a small airport. later I get reqests for repeat rides and or "How do I get started on flying lessons" It is a great feeling to help get a person started the road of aviation.

John J

NC19143 said:
My card has a place for the parent to sign giving permission, a few of my fellow pilots also honor the cards, the teachers in OH school system give them out.

make up a printer lable, and print it on business card paper. off the home computer.

front side

This card is good for 1, 30 minute flight with ________

back side

__________ has permission to fly with _________ on ______
Signed ________.

it is an easy do.

Will that release really absolve you of financial risk in the case of an accident? I didn't think any form of waiver was really effective.

bstratt said:
Will that release really absolve you of financial risk in the case of an accident? I didn't think any form of waiver was really effective.

If they want to sue you they will, and who knows what the courts will do.

Ken Ibold said:
I know this couple that likes to do adventurous things on special occasions. For their 30th birthdays, they went bungee jumping. For their 35th, skydiving. As the 40th approached, talk one day turned to acrobatics. Of course I offered Steve a ride. We yanked and banked and looped and rolled and all kinds of stuff. He loved it. A few weeks later it was time for his lovely bride to take her turn. As I strapped her into her chute and then helped her into the back of the airplane, I couldn't help but notice she was very nervous. So I stopped everything. Turns out she committed to do acro because her husband had gone, but she was actually a very nervous flier. Whoa! She didn't think this was important to share before an acro flight?!?!? So we put away the chutes and did a low-power, low-altitude flight with the window open and the music playing and bounced around a bunch of grass strips for an while. She loved it.

The moral of this story is that when you're flying new passengers, make sure they know what they're signing up for. We all sometimes lose sight of the fact that there are a lot of people who get very nervous at the thought of flying in what an ex-girlfriend (emphasis on EX) graciously referred to as "puke buckets." Their reason for flying may not be immediately apparent -- and may not be what you think it is.
\

Great story. Good for you for being observant and sensitive to your pasangers well-being. You turned a possible life time fear of aviation into a positive... You sensitive guy you B)

bstratt said:

No, but I think it should preclude any criminal charges of child endangerment as well as put some of the responsibility on the child's parent if you have a mishap. Probably not worth much in a civil suit, but hopefully worth something. Legalities aside, I'd sure want to know that my taking a kid flying was OK with the parents without having to take the kid's word for it.

I took our sons friend on a lfight with my wife, son and I to Hatteras, NC (HSE). I think they were both 16 or 17 at the time. I aks our som how much his firend weighs. He says, "about the same as me, 150." THe kid shows up and is huge, at least 200 lbs. OK, did a careful W&B and we're still under gross with fuel to the tabs and inside the envelope. Thankfully my wife weights only 105 lbs. :)

I had his parents sign a letter (form) giving permission and authorizing me to make medical decisions in the vent of an emergency. Probably worthless in a civil suit as others have stated, but at least it shows they knew about the flight and authorized it. Sometimes, in this litigious society I wonder if its worth it, but then I think life is short, share your gifts, and give peole a new experience.

P.S. Both teenagers slept most of the flight each way. Sigh.

Amen to what Ron and Lance Said. I can think of lots of crimes you could be charged with. A permission slip will at least keep the local police off your back.

As for getting folks into flying:

1) I take them flying
2) I get my FBO to donate a discovery or sight seeing flight to a charity auction
(They do the flight I don't)
3) Tonight I'm giving my daughters Brownie troop a tour of Wings Field. They get free loot from Angel flight and AOPA and I will take their photo sitting in the pilots seat of a plane on the ground. ( Get em young)

AdamZ said:
3) Tonight I'm giving my daughters Brownie troop a tour of Wings Field. They get free loot from Angel flight and AOPA and I will take their photo sitting in the pilots seat of a plane on the ground. ( Get em young)

Yeah, I did the same thing when my daughter was a Brownie, and again with the G/S. We went over how an airplane flies and what the contols do and they got some kind of merit badge for participating.

I let each child spend a couple minutes in the pilot's seat (with a couple cushions to sit on) and they all got a kick out of wearing a headset and talking to another child in the back seat.

Back