Getting off the Special Issuance program

Califlyer559

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Califlyer559
Hello all!

Bit of background relating to my question;

I have a non-vehicle, non-substance related misdemeanor criminal charge dating 2016 from an event that occurred in 2013 when I was a young and dumb 17 year old.

I applied for my 2nd class medical at the end of 2018 and after both a HIMS psychiatric evaluation and neuropsychological evaluation (both were favorable) I received my 2nd class in December of 2019.

Since then I've been on a SI which requires monthly counseling sessions and an end of year summary report of the counseling sessions and a statement of ability and character from a Flight instructor.

The question I have is that my AME has mentioned that I should try to remove the SI since he sees no reason for it in the first place. He's recommended this two years in a row now. I've been happy to just remain in the SI world until it got dropped on its own, but now that Aviation is starting to become my career I'd really like to get clear of this.

Relevant info;

-My criminal record was expunged and as far as the legal world is concerned, I was never convicted of any crime (I know the FAA probably sees things differently, but I was hoping that this info may at least help my case)

-I've had to see two different counselors through my SI time and both have stated in writing that they don't see the purpose of my visits or otherwise have recommended that I no longer need to meet on a monthly basis. These recommendations were made in the letters to the FAA.

My AME's recommendation is to write to Oklahoma and request my SI be looked at or otherwise reconsidered. He suggested I include the same summary reports from the counselors but that I highlight the recommendations that no further meetings are needed. He also suggested I include the official document stating that my criminal record had been expunged.

I was just wondering if any of you know of any success going this route? If so, should this go to Oklahoma or my local FSDO? And if not success, have any of you heard of any negative repercussions such as starting the clock on my SI over again?

Thanks in advance!

The FAA 'marches to its own drummer', but letters from you or on you behalf are seen and are in your file. Send to your region's flt surgeon or OKC. success? doubtful. repercussion? none.

Why does non vehicle non substance have anything to do with flying?

Concerns about possible behavior while flying?

As a completely random example, since I have no clue beyond what was posted above which was non-vehicle, no-substance and brought with it a misdemeanor charge, lets say someone had a bad anxiety attack at Target and started throwing coffee cups at pillows because the pillows were coming to attack them. They get charged with damaging property. You could see where this might cause concern for the FAA.

Again, I dont think this is that situation (for various reasons) but as an example it should suffice.

Before your renewal in 2024 go back to the HIMS psychiatrist and get an update. Yea, it will be just under 1K. But then it will be 5 years from the first HIMS psychiatry resport, and the "nothing here, boys" will prevail. It is what it is, try to remember that you were young and dumb once, you got the misdemeanor, not the FAA, and that in the JAA countries you would not be granted an sort of certification.

You will prevail.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back