Getting off Sertraline

Gettingback

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gettingback
Hey everyone.

This may have been asked a million times already. But this is my situation.

I haven’t flown for about 10 years and have an opportunity to go to a regional.

During the time I was out of the cockpit I was put on Sertraline for generalized anxiety. Which I know at that time it was a strictly a no go for a first class medical.

Previous to being prescribed the med I held a first class for many years with no issues.

I understand you now have to jump through some crazy expensive hoops only to cross your fingers it will be issued.

I also understand you could be weaned off under your doctors supervision and with a letter from the doctor stating you have had no issues and have been off the medication for 60 days a First Class Medical would be issued with no hoop jumping.

Please let me know if I am on the right track.

It's a nogo for any medical. Discontinued or not, you're going to have to hoop jump. The hoops are just different depending on whether you've discontinued and how long you were on it. The problem is two-fold: the drug and the underlying reason it was prescribed. I'd be talking (pre-application) to a good AME as to the best path to certification.

It's a nogo for any medical. Discontinued or not, you're going to have to hoop jump. The hoops are just different depending on whether you've discontinued and how long you were on it. The problem is two-fold: the drug and the underlying reason it was prescribed. I'd be talking (pre-application) to a good AME as to the best path to certification.
Perhaps I read the regulations incorrectly. I thought it said if you’re off for 60 days and have documentation from the board certified treating doctor it would meet the requirements. But then again we are talking the FAA.
I am trying to save the 3,700 for the cog test 450 for the Senior AME consultant fee just to have it submitted and hold my breath hoping they approve it.
Does anyone have a real number as to how many of these ultimately get approved?

Perhaps I read the regulations incorrectly. I thought it said if you’re off for 60 days and have documentation from the board certified treating doctor it would meet the requirements.

That's not counting the underlying diagnosis. Your problem is "generalized anxiety" has now been hung on you. If you were taking it for a specific reason, a crisis in your life of limited duration, that would be one thing. Your best bet is to talk to Dr. Chien before you apply anywhere or spend any money on testing.

That's not counting the underlying diagnosis. Your problem is "generalized anxiety" has now been hung on you. If you were taking it for a specific reason, a crisis in your life of limited duration, that would be one thing. Your best bet is to talk to Dr. Chien before you apply anywhere or spend any money on testing.

Thank you for the adult response.
I sent him an inquiry via his website.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back