Getting off OSA SI

S

Sleeping easier

After about five years on CPAP and more recently an oral appliance, I think I'm finally back to sleeping normally.

Have dropped (and maintained) my weight from 180+ to 150lbs, had septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and regular allergy shots. I breathe so much better now.

Recently did a home sleep study to check my progress and it showed I've gone from 15 AHI (when originally diagnosed) down to 4.1. I'm waiting for the official letter from the sleep doc but it seems like I should be in the clear.

My SI will be up for renewal at the end of June anyway. Assuming I get the all clear from the sleep doc, is there a process to exit the SI? Will I need a lab study or any additional paperwork from the sleep doc when I go in for my medical?

Am continuing to use my oral appliance in the meantime so I'll also have evidence of compliance with the existing SI.

Any advice or experience with this process would be greatly appreciated!

After about five years on CPAP and more recently an oral appliance, I think I'm finally back to sleeping normally.

Have dropped (and maintained) my weight from 180+ to 150lbs, had septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and regular allergy shots. I breathe so much better now.

Recently did a home sleep study to check my progress and it showed I've gone from 15 AHI (when originally diagnosed) down to 4.1. I'm waiting for the official letter from the sleep doc but it seems like I should be in the clear.

My SI will be up for renewal at the end of June anyway. Assuming I get the all clear from the sleep doc, is there a process to exit the SI? Will I need a lab study or any additional paperwork from the sleep doc when I go in for my medical?

Am continuing to use my oral appliance in the meantime so I'll also have evidence of compliance with the existing SI.

Any advice or experience with this process would be greatly appreciated!
The process is to go get a sleep study off of CPAP/ off jaw device showing an AHI <5.
The FAA will rewrite you SI to not include use of CPAP or the jaw device, but will require that you send a letter from the sleep doc or PCP each year for 3 years saying that you have no symptoms and have maintained your weigh loss. No FLASH dieting here. You have to hold the weight off for 3 years each yearly, until they cancel the SI.

Thank you!

I have had the weight down for a couple years already so not worried about sustaining it.

Is the home study going to be sufficient as long as the sleep doc is satisfied? From what I've read home tests seem to be accepted generally, but thought there might be a higher standard for this situation.

Thank you!

I have had the weight down for a couple years already so not worried about sustaining it.
They will look 3 years to the FUTURE.
Is the home study going to be sufficient as long as the sleep doc is satisfied?
Yes, if it's a 7 channel and sleep doc concurs CPAP is unnecessary. A 4 channel is insufficient. Your sleep doc will understand this last sentence.
From what I've read home tests seem to be accepted generally, but thought there might be a higher standard for this situation.

Would the 3 years of weight loss status/monitoring be necessary if they claim the septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery was the cause for the improved breathing instead?

I ask because weight only 1/8 of the ways to get one IN to this SI, so it's strange to me that it would be a significant part of getting one OUT. Particularly for someone 180# who likely didn't get the BMI "point" on stop-bang in the first place.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back