Getting my foot in the door

nickcrossfield

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NickC
Good Evening,

My Name Is Nicholas, and I am trying to pursue a career in aviation. I am currently active duty United States Coast Guard, and will be separating from the service in a couple of months. I am working on my PPL right now. I am hoping to build some connections, and get a little bit of career advice. I love being up in the air, and would love to help anyone with maintenance on their plane, or if they would just like a flying partner. I am located In the San Francisco Bay Area, and willing to learn and help out in anyway! Thank you very much for your time!

Good luck with everything.

http://www.funplacestofly.com

The link above may give you some leads on local aviation events to check out. Depending on your schooling background you could be working on flight training and then college credits towards a degree. I'd start on the flight training side, both if $$ allows.

A flying partner in the East Bay (CG Island, right?), for a guy with emergency services background? There is a CAP squadron at OAK that would be quite interested in you. Probably the most active squadron in northern CA.

It's a great way to find flying buddies. Lots of good aircrew work for non-pilots and pilots alike, and scanner/observer training meshes very well with flight training.

I believe they meet Tuesdays at 1900, in the ancient hotel adjacent to 28R. Google them for a map. Squadron 188.

Primary training in their really nice 182 is not allowed for adults, but it's nice for proficiency and practice after. It's not free unless Air Force directed, but it's cheaper than a rental 172.

1) Thank you for your service in the USCG.
2) In the aviation industry, your last name should, at least, get your résumé noticed.

Shot gun hours to your CPL for power planes, find a local glider club and do as much as you can in gliders, go from there to tailwheel, get 150hrs or so and start on your IFR.

http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp

Spend your time on REAL cross countries, like fly from the west coast to the east coast, fly down to Mexico or up to Canada, maybe do a flight to Cuba. You'll learn tons.

I'd also be prepared to move about the country, starting out as a greenhorn in the bay is going to be tuff money wise.

Back