Getting into the Christmas spirit in our own special way

TheCowGod

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TheCowGod
Since I moved out of my apartment and into a proper house a few months ago, I realized that I can get more creative with my Christmas lights this year. But as I looked at other houses in the neighborhood for ideas, I realized that all of the common things you tend to see, like lighted snowmen in the front yard, light "icicles" hanging from the roof, etc., don't really appeal to me at all. Then today I realized that I can take my lighting inspiration from another part of my life:

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of it, but man is it fun to "taxi" into my garage :)

Very cool... now you just need to paint some numbers and light up a centerline! Maybe even a taxiway sign... I wonder if the GF would let me do that to our house next year? :)

cool, do you run over the lights when pulling into your driveway?

cool, do you run over the lights when pulling into your driveway?

Hehe yeah. I've only driven over them once so far, and they survived, but I wouldn't be surprised if they break the next time I do. If they do break, I'll see if I can find some green LED christmas lights. I imagine those would be a little more durable. I asked the checkout girl if she could help me think of some green lights that I could drive over. She sighed and said that none of the christmas lights are carproof. Ah well, I guess at the end of a long, soul-crushing shift at Wal-Mart, she wasn't too interested in thinking outside the box.

Today I picked up two extra strings of lights (a red and a white) to make a VASI. I'd love to set up a windsock, but I'm certainly not paying the hundreds of dollars that I'm sure a real one costs. Any ideas on cheap lookalikes? I guess I could buy some orange fabric and try and figure out how to sew. Or staple it :)

wouldnt be hard to get some orange lights (halloween closeouts?) and make a wind tee or windsock shape in the yard.

I think you should install REILs just to provide a safe runway environment.

:)

That is funny. I wonder how long it will take before some knucklehead mistakes your driveway for the nearby airport?

That is funny. I wonder how long it will take before some knucklehead mistakes your driveway for the nearby airport?
I tend to approach so high on shortfield landings, it would fit right in for my usual view! :)

If you put a wind sock in, I'd bet it's just a matter of days before a helicopter pilot tries to let down there! :goofy:

Runway numbers, my friend, runway numbers.

Oh, and totally, totally awesome.

~ Christopher

Good work on the lights!

What part of K-town are you in?

I'm towards the west, in Farragut, near Lovell Rd.

If you put a wind sock in, I'd bet it's just a matter of days before a helicopter pilot tries to let down there! :goofy:

Hehe I did consider adding a lighted 'X' at the end too, but i thought I might be flattering myself :)

Back