Getting into short fields for the rest of us...

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
I didn’t want to pile on a currently active thread on practicing slow flight, so I started this to add a video (not mine) that I thought was also helpful.

Regarding the other thread - I do think there is value to learning your plane and the behavior on that edge of the flight envelope, maybe kind of skill-building like lazy-eights as you’re getting more proficient. Although most of us won’t be landing on gravel bars, and need to come in very slow & stabilized with obstacles on either side, and turning, those skills could come to use in an emergency where a minimum energy impact would help survival; on the other hand, these are demonstrations/practice of power-on landings, but power-off might be just as, if not more, useful and practical. Nothing is ever black & white, is it?

The video below is about varying landing speeds and configurations as the need dictates, but the part at the end about the slow end of the envelope and how there is no need to push it until short final or crossing the fence I thought was an appropriate learning/reminder to those of us considering how most of us “regular guys” can use the slow end of the envelope in a practical and safe way for most of the available landing areas in the US.

Yeah, this is a “canard 182”, but just use the POH from your own plane to figure out the right speeds and when to near closer the envelope:

Last edited:
Back