getting hitched!!

Congratulations and best wishes!

Early 80s, midtown Manhatten; I tell my boss that I either need to 1) get out of Manhatten or 2) make a lot more money because I need to buy a plane.

He says, "the best thing you can do is get married for the 2nd income". Hmmm, so that's why he's boss.

2 years later, my date keeps wondering why I keep looking at the clouds and groaning about how great a day it must me. I tell her, "I like to soar but to go any further with it, I need to buy a sailplane"

She say, "then why don't you do it? What do you have to do to find one"

She moves into my apartment, I buy a sailplane, we buy a house together, we get married.

She asks, "when you proposed, I thought you wanted kids".
I tell her, "no, I just thought it was time since we had a home and a plane... do you want a kid?"
"No, I don't want a kid either... are we going to the airport this weekend?"

We retell this story to each other on our anniversary. The last one was on our 26th flying down the Keys. We're keepers.

A relationship that begins with one partner dictating to the other is not likely to be a happy one, unless someone enjoys being dictated to. They are out there.

Congrats on the marriage however I have to tell you NO WAY IS A PLANE AS EXPENSIVE AS A KID. Don't get me wrong having a child is perhaps the greatest thing in my life. However every year the are more and more expensive. Once you have kids Adios disposable income. Get the plane.

This is what I am talking about. Priorities will eventually shift and my disposable income will consequently shrink. Unless I double my income, or hit it big in business, I see myself flying less throughout the years. Right now I fly about 200-300 hours a year. I dont think its going to be sustainable with my income and my newly acquired responsabilities. I am happy, secure, and "alpha" enough to make this decision. I just wanted to know what people think about flying and family life. The constant juggle.

A relationship that begins with one partner dictating to the other is not likely to be a happy one, unless someone enjoys being dictated to. They are out there.

No one dictates or tells me what to do. Its just that burning through ~250 dollars an hour when you dont have responsabilities is really easy, But what about when you have mouths to feed, tuitions, house, etc to pay. I guess I will have to level down to a small beat up taildragger. LOL LOL LOL

I concur with the part about increasing your income to the point that aviation conversations don't include any financial ramifications because they're not necessary. Our last aviation conversation that included money was sometime in the late '60's

This is what I am talking about. Priorities will eventually shift and my disposable income will consequently shrink. Unless I double my income, or hit it big in business, I see myself flying less throughout the years. Right now I fly about 200-300 hours a year. I dont think its going to be sustainable with my income and my newly acquired responsabilities. I am happy, secure, and "alpha" enough to make this decision. I just wanted to know what people think about flying and family life. The constant juggle.

I guess I will have to level down to a small beat up taildragger. LOL LOL LOL

Now yer thinkin with the big head. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don't forget to smack her on the azz on your way out the door to the hanger. Oh - and take up chewing tobacco, the wimmins love that as well. :yikes:

I posted this in another thread. But will reiterate:

I'm about to be married for the second time. I'll say this, wife #1, wasn't really supportive of me flying. Fiancee' (with 2 kids, mind you), is 100% supportive of me flying and we indulge my flying addiction whenever finances permit (she got laid off about 3 months ago). Both her and the kids love getting in the plane whenever we can. In fact, i asked her to marry me in a plane, what better way to cement little planes in her psyche forever. Oh, i should add, we're planning on having a baby after we get married, and we've already looked at 6 seat airplanes.. :) I think i have a winner.

The almost a decade i spent with wife #1, felt when i filed for divorce like wasted time. I pi$$ed away my late 20's, and most of my 30's on a woman who didn't support my passions. When we had extra money, and i wanted to fly, she found some creative way to spend it. The best decision i made was filing for divorce.

During threads on this subject I'm reminded of the adage that men get married thinking their wives won't change. Women get married thinking that their husbands will.

And both are apt to be disappointed for sure. I think about this a lot when my wife and I have our "discussions" from time to time.

In a vacuum free from other issues I would give up flying before my marriage, absolutely, but short of some financial crisis it shouldn't ever come to that.

We bought the plane several years before we got married. When I told the MBNA person it would be joint with my fiancee, they advised against it. I told them without it being in both our names there wasn't going to be any airplane or possibly not be any marriage.

It's been 15 years of marriage (and 18 years of airplane ownership) and we're still together after one major restoration and building a hangar home on a residential airpark.

My now husband introduced me to flying in 2005 or so. I loved it! So much that I got my own certificate :) Maybe she just doesn't understand your passion and why you like to do it. Marriage is about choices. Choose wisely. Ideally this is the women you want to die next too. If you decided kids are more important then be at peace with that decision you made. I wonder if my husband ever thought I'd get my own certificate?

I think most who take issue here, don't confine this to just the aviation aspect. It's about control and independence. When either spouse begins to control the actions of another, it's going to spiral the porcelain fixture, and eventually get flushed.

its not about control, understading passions, support, or even being whipped. its
more of a bank account issue. what you have left over after all your obligations are paid for is basically where the dlying money should come from.

its not about control, understading passions, support, or even being whipped. its
more of a bank account issue. what you have left over after all your obligations are paid for is basically where the flying money should come from.

Agree entirely. But if my new bride made a stink about it, I sure as hell would clear up any confusion on how my income is doled out. Kids or otherwise.

If you can afford a 182 now on your own, why don't you just compromise and share one with a partner or two?

Nah -- get the stanky Luscombe/Taylorcraft. Something she will absolutely HATE.

Back