getting frustrated!

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
Just need to vent....

I haven't been able to fly in almost a month because of work. My last flight was September 16th, it was a good flight, and I'm so close to soloing that I can taste it!!!! But every week for the last 3 (and looking like this week too) has been crazy busy at the shop and I've been stuck working massive hours.

I just want to fly :mad:

Ugh that sucks! Any way to schedule flying before work? Multiple flights on the weekend if you don't have to work?

It can definitely suck at times. However once you battle through the lows, the highs will be that much more awesomer.

Just fly when you can, I think I went a good month or so post solo before I flew again.

Yup, work gets in the way of what's important. :(
But then if we could figure out a way to pay for this habit without working we'd all have that problem solved. :D
You're not alone, and the fact the shop is busy is sure a lot better than the alternative these days...

For me, it was weather. I was so close to soloing, but couldn't catch a break with the days I could fly falling on really windy days. Was getting really bummed. Then two days before Christmas, there was a calm day and my CFI just happened to have a slot open up. Nailed three landings with him, then proceeded on solo to make the three really crappiest landings I've ever done! :)

Just stick with it. Frustration is part of the process.

Last edited:
I've been very frustrated too, I'm just about finished with my private (about 4 flights left) and I haven't been able to fly for 2 1/2 weeks because of weather. Was planning on doing a cross country this weekend because its going to be beautiful but of course my home airport is closed all weekend due to an air show -_-

Just want to finish up so I can get started on my instrument!

I feel for you. I had the exact same thing happen just a few weeks ago. Tough it out, and when you see a patch of good weather coming tell the boss you need a couple extra hours for lunch. Thats what I did :)

I'm lucky in that my work will let me unofficially carve up a vacation day into 2 hour chunks. So I can get 4 lessons out of one vacation day if I'm efficient in my lessons.

Oh, and this week is beautiful weather but I have a damn chest cold and feel like crap. If it's not one thing it's another... We will all get there eventually !

Up until last sat. it had been a month since I last flew. Way too long. Like you, work piled up, also bad weather set in, etc.

But even when I can't fly I was trying going through the procedures (speeds, rpms for various maneuvers) from my chair at home :)

The funny thing, I was really concentrating on carb heat (when to turn on, off, etc.) and radio. When I finally got to fly, I kept forgetting carb heat and I totally got tongue tied trying to do the radio comm for the first time.

The TWO things I was pretty sure I would nail, and yet the things that were new to me went pretty well. Life is weird.

Fortunately I've been blessed with employers, all pilots themselves and in fact convinced me to get started, that allow me to work around flying. Usually. But we've hit hard with new parts for Boeing (stupid boeing) and they aren't a customer you want to **** off and lose their business. Add to that the 2 new green as heck "machinist" they hired that I have to train it's just been too crazy lately.

Hopefully next week we get caught up enough to catch our breath.

Up until last sat. it had been a month since I last flew. Way too long. Like you, work piled up, also bad weather set in, etc.

But even when I can't fly I was trying going through the procedures (speeds, rpms for various maneuvers) from my chair at home :)

The funny thing, I was really concentrating on carb heat (when to turn on, off, etc.) and radio. When I finally got to fly, I kept forgetting carb heat and I totally got tongue tied trying to do the radio comm for the first time.

The TWO things I was pretty sure I would nail, and yet the things that were new to me went pretty well. Life is weird.

You are probably already doing it, but for me what helped a TON with the radio was listening to a lot of live ATC, and especially doing it while driving. I could read back all day long while sitting on the couch listening to live ATC, but when it came time for the plane, my first few lessons I would just forget what I meant to say. Was really frustrating because I have been listening to liveatc for years just for fun, figured I would be a natural. Talking back while driving simulates in some strange way being in the plane (I think its because you are focused on something else at the same time, though clearly not as demanding). That really helped me out and now about 5-6 hours away from getting my private I sound better than most when talking to ATC. While on a CTAF I still think I sound stupid though :( Consequence of flying out of a pretty busy Delta all the time.

Just need to vent....

I haven't been able to fly in almost a month because of work. My last flight was September 16th, it was a good flight, and I'm so close to soloing that I can taste it!!!! But every week for the last 3 (and looking like this week too) has been crazy busy at the shop and I've been stuck working massive hours.

I just want to fly :mad:

BTDT. It happens. You'll either make time for yourself, or you won't... but something will have to change if you want it.

At least you'll have extra money to do it after all that work! :)

Chair Fly. No it isn't the same as being in the air but it will help keep your skills from degrading. Leading up to my solo I had quite a few set-backs as well. It was very frustrating, I totally understand how you feel. Using Chair Flying at least I did not feel as though I was going backwards in my training.

Hang in there and one glorious sunny day that you will never forget you will solo.

You are probably already doing it, but for me what helped a TON with the radio was listening to a lot of live ATC, and especially doing it while driving. I could read back all day long while sitting on the couch listening to live ATC, but when it came time for the plane, my first few lessons I would just forget what I meant to say. Was really frustrating because I have been listening to liveatc for years just for fun, figured I would be a natural. Talking back while driving simulates in some strange way being in the plane (I think its because you are focused on something else at the same time, though clearly not as demanding). That really helped me out and now about 5-6 hours away from getting my private I sound better than most when talking to ATC. While on a CTAF I still think I sound stupid though :( Consequence of flying out of a pretty busy Delta all the time.

Thanks, yeah I had been trying liveATC. I tended to listen to local ones like Gardemoen, but they can be surprisingly still sometimes. Also I searched for and really hoped to find a site with just "normal flight radio calls" examples. Lots of variations on liveatc and I'm not always clear where each one is in the process.

I had actualy toyed with the idea of trying to find other students in the same stage as myself, and maybe ONE willing instructor to meet at the flight club one evening, sit around a circle in chairs and let the instructor be TWR/GROUND/APPROACH and we students just talk as on radio....

I liked you story and it is true. I was practicing, but WHILE taxiing and doing a few other things is totally different than practicing at home. Also, it is kind of like those travel books that include a few phrases in the back...sure, being able to ask in italian "can you tell me how to get to the train station" might be useful...except you can work all day and get it perfect but then you get a response in italian...and you can't understand it.

I just keep plugging away. I was actually WAY more surprised by my forgetting carb heat on descents. I had "armchair flown" MANY times. Even a little proud that the student handbook for maneuvers is vague and in the rundown of it, they don't even mention it in the procedure. So I was all "well, I'll show that I understand the importance and practice turning it on BEFORE throttling down, and always checking when it is off after I throttle up"...and...
just plain didn't. EVEN after he corrected me once, twice, etc.

But I am happy from learning about the concept of "nose up" in a steeper turn, etc. THAT was worth it all.

But I am happy from learning about the concept of "nose up" in a steeper turn, etc. THAT was worth it all.

And maybe even more power. ;)

That whole splitting the lift between holding the airplane up and turning it thing... more horizontal and less vertical...

And the increase in stall speed in a turn...

This is why slow in the pattern can bite you hard.

The opposite is also true too... if you're willing to trade altitude for speed and don't have any power to add, a steeper turn means the nose has to come down more...

:) Fun stuff. Energy management.

I wish it has only been a month since I flew. I have been a student pilot so long I had to renew my medical. I will never give up and I will finish. Time has been my only problem so far. I have soloed a few times and have my x country and night done. Well had. I was so close this time. Had to stop several times for work. I am restructuring my life to free more time for flying.

My wife hates when I "waste things".
Maybe I will buy a plane.
I will have to make time so I am not "wasting it"

I wish it has only been a month since I flew. I have been a student pilot so long I had to renew my medical. I will never give up and I will finish. Time has been my only problem so far. I have soloed a few times and have my x country and night done. Well had. I was so close this time. Had to stop several times for work. I am restructuring my life to free more time for flying.

Happens to a lot of folks. You sound like you'll be one that perseveres and doesn't drop out.

I have been there. Seems like the closer you get to solo the harder it becomes to find time. I am a college student so I start my private pilot training in the summer. Obviously, as school started I had less time to work on flying. I have to tell you though once you get past your solo there is no better feeling in the world.

I was so nervous my first time flying alone but your training kicks in and your adrenaline starts pumping. The plane also handles differently without your CFI. All about that weight balance.

Good luck finding time and best of luck to you!

Hang in there, Korben88. I just read the UPS ordered several new 747's from Boeing, so that may be impacting your schedule. Just keep in mind that this is supposed to be fun. You will get there if you just never give up. Save all the extra money you are making with the OT, and when your work slows down you will have the money to hit is hard and wrap up.

I bought a plane due to frustration with the one rental plane being on a tight schedule. That was in March and I didn't solo until August. Life happens.

Back