Getting from MKE or ORD to OSH?

SkyWolf

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SkyWolf
Without dropping a few hundred on a taxi.
I know there's two shuttles that run... one is around $150 *one-way* (that's more than revenue fare round-trip FLYING to either airport!), I would assume the other is around that price range.
I want to say it's cheaper to just rent a car, but with gas and driving that distance?

Anyone have any better ideas? Or know any carpools (or... airpools...?) from MKE or ORD?

Amtrak runs a train/bus from MKE to OSH for $29.50

There is a 1 hour layover at the intermodal terminal so the entire trip takes ~3 hrs.

Last edited:
I've done ORD-OSH by car & MKE-OSH by car. If you need to have the car at OSH, then MKE-OSH rental Are you an EAA member? there's a reasonable discount at Hertz with the CDP on your card but will still run you $80/day or so. Trip is about 90 min or so on highway traffic & construction permitting.

If you don't need the car, then the Amtrak train ORD-MKE then bus MKE-OSH is the cheapest. I did train to DEN-ORD-MKE a few years ago then picked up a car for the MKE-OSH.

Without dropping a few hundred on a taxi.
I know there's two shuttles that run... one is around $150 *one-way* (that's more than revenue fare round-trip FLYING to either airport!), I would assume the other is around that price range.
I want to say it's cheaper to just rent a car, but with gas and driving that distance?

Anyone have any better ideas? Or know any carpools (or... airpools...?) from MKE or ORD?

Why MKE or ORD? Have you considered GRB? Rental cars and shuttle bus service is available.

I dont know that I'd need a car while I'm there, other than to get to/from a hotel. I tried rideshare and posted, but i doubt anyone's going 27 and returning 29. ORD and MKE because I can fly standby, but only to places we fly... I doubt I'd find standby space on another line during AirVenture. =P Otherwise, I'd definitely pick a close airport.

Amtrak bus sounds good. Didn't even think of that, thank you.

Last edited:
I dont know that id need a car while im there, other than to grt to/from a hotel. I tried rideshare and posted, but i doubt anyone's going 27 and returning 29. ORD and MKE because i can fly standby free to anywhere we fly, and i dOnt think my chances would be as good gettig on a plane interline. Otherwise, i'd definitely pick a close airport.

Amtrak bus sounds good. Didnt even think of that, thank you.
No one says you need the same person to give you a ride both ways! We're going up on the 24th and coming back on the 31st,so will be of no help; sorry.

@Grant - I know it doesn't need to be the same person. I'm all for bumming rides from whoever appears to be sane. =P
As for parking... seems like there'd be a shuttle to/from the airport (or I could shuttle hop from hotels to catch one)? I'd only have to pay for parking the last day when I check out.

I'm still liking that AmTrak idea.

I hope you have already reserved the rental car. MKE runs out of them some times or likes to get very "proud" of them pricewise.

Good point...
I wonder if there's any hotel space available at this point. I could always go next year, but I really want to see the 787. Maybe I could just go one day... fly in Thurs night, sleep in the terminal, and head out to OSH in the morning. That doesn't sound too appealing, but dammit I wanna see the Dreamliner. XD

Good point...
I wonder if there's any hotel space available at this point. I could always go next year, but I really want to see the 787. Maybe I could just go one day... fly in Thurs night, sleep in the terminal, and head out to OSH in the morning. That doesn't sound too appealing, but dammit I wanna see the Dreamliner. XD

Late week in OSH there's always a dorm room at UWOSH.

I think right now I'd be a little too rushed to make such last minute plans. >_> I'd love to see the 787, but it looks like the tour of Boeing's Everett facility is rather 787-intensive. =P I can plan that one better, and start making plans for next year's AirVenture now. That way I know I can get a hotel and travel arrangements together. ^^;

I too am only coming for a few days at the end of the week and you're right - MKE got really proud of their cars really quickly. I ended up flying into MDW and renting there and dropping off at MKE On 8/1- much cheaper. Hoping for room at UWOSH - checking on that tomorrow

I hope you have already reserved the rental car. MKE runs out of them some times or likes to get very "proud" of them pricewise.

Don't get me started on the $1000 minivan after the travel agent screwed up last year. ;)

Back