Getting from Leesburg JYO into D.C.

Pjsmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
pjsmith
I'm thinking about taking the cherokee to D.C. for about a week starting the last weekend of this month.

After taking the SFRA course and trolling around, I'm thinking I'll opt for the simplicity of flying into Leesburg. My problem is one of transportation. We had hoped to go rental car-less while in DC and take the train/bus everywhere. Mapquest tells me that from JYO to our hotel (near the pentagon) is an hour on the surface. Ugh.

Can any of members who live in that neck of the woods give me an idea on how to best fix this little dilemna? Any and all pointers greatly appreciated.

P

I've flown into JYO a few times -- taxi service is plentiful and reasonable. Gte a taxi to hotel and then Metro to destinations.

Does your hotel have shuttle service?

I've flown into JYO a few times -- taxi service is plentiful and reasonable. Gte a taxi to hotel and then Metro to destinations.

Does your hotel have shuttle service?

They (Westin) have shuttles to Dulles, but I think that's it.

So as not to get raped on the charge, about what should I be charged for a taxi ride into DC (guestimates fine).

Thanks

They (Westin) have shuttles to Dulles, but I think that's it.

So as not to get raped on the charge, about what should I be charged for a taxi ride into DC (guestimates fine).

Thanks

Expensive. ($50+ each way)

If you've got the time, either 1) go back to Dulles and take the Flyer (or Metro) bus to West Falls Church Metro (about $10 each way + Metro fare), 2) take a cab to West Falls Church Metro (Approx $40), or 3) take a bus from Reston park & ride to Metro.

If you're going to be staying for several days, you'll probably find that a rental car is cheaper than the taxi rides.

If you are coming in on the 19th-21st, I can give you a lift from the airport to your hotel.

How about flying into GAI, Montgomery County, Gaithersburg, MD? I believe it's a short taxi ride to a Metro stop, may be able to cadge a ride from the FBO.

I just flew into College Park last weekend, and was well pleased with the experience- but I'd already jumped through the TSA hoops to get my secret decoder ring some years ago, so it was quite easy to hop on the Green line Metro, and get off at my daughter's DC address five stops later. I've tried most of the other DC-area (and that's a wide stretch of territory) at one time or another, and other than the DC-3, GAI is by far the most convenient if you need to be in the District itself. Everything else is a good hour away, and the traffic can be ferocious.

The whole FRZ/SFRA thing is entirely seamless if you can file IFR.

Last edited:
Depending on the time of day that you arrive, you could fly into Manassas (HEF) and take the VRE train to Crystal City, walking distance or maybe just a Metro stop away from your hotel. The Broad Run Station is adjacent to the ramp on the west side of the airport. The afternoon trains will get you to Alexandria, which is just few more stops down on the Metro Blue/Yellow line. Here's the schedule...

http://www.vre.org/service/lrg_mss_sched.pdf

Taxis from Dulles are about $55 to downtown. I suspect a Taxi from JYO will be even more. When considering renting a car, factor in the cost of parking. Pretty much all of the hotels around the Pentagon charge for parking.

Last edited:
If you are going the rental car route, Dulles Aviation on the west side at HEF is an Enterprise outlet, and if you reserve through them, they'll pull your car up to your plane before you even shut down.

Back