Getting flight time in different aircraft types

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I want to buy an airplane.

I feel like I should at least go for a ride in any aircraft type that I'd consider. I don't want to wait 10 years to accumulate oppurtunities for rides in many different aircraft types, I'm already too old.

Is there some event I can attend within the next 12 calendar months that puts me in an environment where I can go for a ride in an assortment of GA type aircraft (within reach of first time buyer), if I cover the operating costs?

Local flight schools seem to offer limited selection.

Should I try to organize such an event? Anyone see an opportunity in the idea?

I want to buy an airplane.

I feel like I should at least go for a ride in any aircraft type that I'd consider. I don't want to wait 10 years to accumulate oppurtunities for rides in many different aircraft types, I'm already too old.

Is there some event I can attend within the next 12 calendar months that puts me in an environment where I can go for a ride in an assortment of GA type aircraft (within reach of first time buyer), if I cover the operating costs?

Local flight schools seem to offer limited selection.

Should I try to organize such an event? Anyone see an opportunity in the idea?

It's actually easier than that if you don't want to waste time. There really aren't a lot of choices for any mission. Every airplane is a compromise in design to maximize it's design mission.

Once you define the mission of what you need the plane to do for you, such as range and payload requirements, IFR/VFR. Budget, both initial and recurrent. Should it meet Sport Pilot qualifications?

You'll be able to whittle the list down to half a dozen types and from those you call some local ones for sale in your area and be honest "I'm looking to buy a plane in the next month or so but I'm not exactly sure which. Yours is one of the types I'm considering but I've never been up in one. Can I buy you some gas and lunch to go for a ride?" It will likely take no more than 3 phone calls per type to line up a ride for the price of gas and lunch.

If you're looking at newer LSAs or current production planes and such, just call the dealers and they'll arrange to get you in one.

Heck, you can probably even just give a shout out on the boards for a ride and get several offers.

Last edited:
In most cases, you probably can't "cover the operating costs" without violating several FAR's. However, type clubs often have local fly-ins where you can probably bag a ride for free. Check the web site of the type club for the plane in which you're interested.

It's actually easier than that if you don't want to waste time. There really aren't a lot of choices for any mission. Every airplane is a compromise in design to maximize it's design mission.

Once you define the mission of what you need the plane to do for you, such as range and payload requirements, IFR/VFR. Budget, both initial and recurrent. Should it meet Sport Pilot qualifications?

You'll be able to whittle the list down to half a dozen types and from those you call some local ones for sale in your area and be honest "I'm looking to buy a plane in the next month or so but I'm not exactly sure which. Yours is one of the types I'm considering but I've never been up in one. Can I buy you some gas and lunch to go for a ride?" It will likely take no more than 3 phone calls per type to line up a ride for the price of gas and lunch.

If you're looking at newer LSAs or current production planes and such, just call the dealers and they'll arrange to get you in one.

Heck, you can probably even just give a shout out on the boards for a ride and get several offers.
Hey Henning....can I buy you some gas and lunch and we go for a ride in the 310?

If you're ever in north Alabama, I'll take you up in an RV-6, if it's on your list.

In most cases, you probably can't "cover the operating costs" without violating several FAR's. However, type clubs often have local fly-ins where you can probably bag a ride for free. Check the web site of the type club for the plane in which you're interested.

First, BT would not be a passenger. Second, if BT was a passenger, it would be the recipient violating FARs, not him.

First, BT would not be a passenger. Second, if BT was a passenger, it would be the recipient violating FARs, not him.

AS long as no body whines the FAA would never know.

Who buys lunch is none of the FAA's business.

and the FAA would have to be on the hunt before they contacted you. And to put them on the hunt requires some body bit--hin.

AS long as no body whines the FAA would never know.

Who buys lunch is none of the FAA's business.

and the FAA would have to be on the hunt before they contacted you. And to put them on the hunt requires some body bit--hin.

I have a feeling, this site is full of those types..

I have a feeling, this site is full of those types..
If that were true, at least some of the goings on at previous PoA events would have been reported. I'm pretty sure that goes on at PoA inspired events stays at PoA (unless of course, it involves RVs and overhead breaks).:D

Back