Getting current in type

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
placing a twist on Greebo's thread "Preparing to get back in the saddle - BFR prep after 2 years grounded "

How would you approach getting back into flying my Fairchild 24, when no
CFI's know how to fly it, I haven't flown it in 5 years.

I am tailwheel current, have and a current BFR, and class 2 Medical. I just have not flown this aircraft in 5 years.

How would you go about getting airborne with an aircraft comming out of an extensive rebuild ?

id approach it similarly to first flight of a homebuilt Tom. seems that you have essentially rebuilt the aircraft. getting an independent A&P or similar would be prudent to inspect the airframe. Im sure there are no issues with workmanship, based on the pictures of your progress, but you never know. as far as time in type, i guess you would try to find something similar. if another fairchild is reasonably close go for that. is there anything out there that has similar landing characteristics as the fairchild?

placing a twist on Greebo's thread "Preparing to get back in the saddle - BFR prep after 2 years grounded "

I am tailwheel current, have and a current BFR, and class 2 Medical. I just have not flown this aircraft in 5 years.

How would you go about getting airborne with an aircraft comming out of an extensive rebuild ?

Hey, I know a CFI in Oak Harbor who could do it!!!

;)

There are two issues here -- first flight after rebuild, and checkout.

As far as the post-rebuild test flying, that probably requires someone familiar with and competent in the type. Not necessarily a flight instructor, but certainly someone who knows how it should fly, and can handle it if it doesn't fly that way, and can explain what's happening so the problem can be fixed.

As for checking someone out in a type in which the instructor is not familiar, the instructor should be proficient in something similar. Now, I'm not sure what is "similar" to a Fairchild 24, but I suspect there are folks who've flown a lot of aircraft of similar vintage and characteristics out there. If I were to check someone out in something with which I was not familiar, but was similar to a type with which I was familiar (e.g., checking someone out in a 55 Baron based on my 20-some hours in a 58 Baron and 1000+ hours total light twin experience), I would have to start by thorough study of the aircraft manuals, and then a few fam flights in the type by myself before starting the training. Of course, there isn't much problem finding someone better qualified than I to check someone out in a 55 Baron, so the situation isn't likely to arise, but if the situation came up, that's how I would approach it.

Hey, I know a CFI in Oak Harbor who could do it!!!
;)

On you don't, he has not spoken to me since I told him how screwed up he was for yanking you around.

There are two issues here -- first flight after rebuild, and checkout.

That's true.

As far as the post-rebuild test flying, that probably requires someone familiar with and competent in the type. Not necessarily a flight instructor, but certainly someone who knows how it should fly, and can handle it if it doesn't fly that way, and can explain what's happening so the problem can be fixed.

First flight after rebuild will be approached the same manor as a new home built, Run ups, taxi tests, gental lift off and allowed to settle back to the runway, etc. but remember this aircraft is at Oak harbor (20WX 2200L, if you leave the airport its 10 minutes of open water to any other field of any size.

As for checking someone out in a type in which the instructor is not familiar, the instructor should be proficient in something similar. Now, I'm not sure what is "similar" to a Fairchild 24, but I suspect there are folks who've flown a lot of aircraft of similar vintage and characteristics out there. If I were to check someone out in something with which I was not familiar, but was similar to a type with which I was familiar (e.g., checking someone out in a 55 Baron based on my 20-some hours in a 58 Baron and 1000+ hours total light twin experience), I would have to start by thorough study of the aircraft manuals, and then a few fam flights in the type by myself before starting the training. Of course, there isn't much problem finding someone better qualified than I to check someone out in a 55 Baron, so the situation isn't likely to arise, but if the situation came up, that's how I would approach it.

The problem with the pliots that you speak of are older and more out of currency than me. The person who is the most familar with the F-24 is me, most of the pilots around here are X military and have never flown a stick, let alone a stick tailwheel, in fact most will walk into my hangar and ask what it is. Yes I know the military jets have a stick, but it ain't quite the same without hyd, boost and computer assist.

I think that when I know that every thing is working correctly and the flight controls are double checked for proper throws, the engine has been run at high power for leak checks and proper power out put. I'll do the taxi tests. and then pick some nice calm day, and trust my luck and go for a few touch and goes.

I think that when I know that every thing is working correctly and the flight controls are double checked for proper throws, the engine has been run at high power for leak checks and proper power out put. I'll do the taxi tests. and then pick some nice calm day, and trust my luck and go for a few touch and goes.

My work, my plane, my flight:yes: I wouldn't let anyone else touch it unless they gave me about. 100 GRAND cash to hold and a signed bill of sale while they flew it:lightning: :lightning: I would do the same thing you would....

Last edited:

Damn, Tom. Has it been 5 years already?

I don't really have an answer other than "Very Carefully" If my experience means anything, the Fairchild is very docile and is as about as easy a taildragger to fly as there is. Just make sure you are comfortabel in any taildragger you have access and go fly.

Hey TD,
let me know when you do this....I would REALLY like to watch the first flight! And I could also bring over some of them blue taters.....just dug up a dozen of so of em....yummy.

Hey TD,
let me know when you do this....I would REALLY like to watch the first flight! And I could also bring over some of them blue taters.....just dug up a dozen of so of em....yummy.
I know Washington is a "blue state" but?!?!?! :D

What in the haywire is a "blue tater"?

What in the haywire is a "blue tater"?

It's just what it sounds like! A blue potatoe!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/370238/

pdb_Evert_2003-01-01_1041448042448.jpg

I don't really have an answer other than "Very Carefully" If my experience means anything, the Fairchild is very docile and is as about as easy a taildragger to fly as there is. Just make sure you are comfortabel in any taildragger you have access and go fly.

Flying it is the easy part, Its the landins that might scare me, or any one watching. :)

I was reading through this thread thinking "Greg Bockelman" would be a good choice for this and then there you were with a post.

So Greg, do you ever fly trips to somewhere near Oak Harbor?

Back