Getting current again

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
I haven't flown as a PIC since 2003:mad2:.

This Saturday I'm going to fly with an instructor to work on getting ready for my flight review. I have been doing a lot of book work getting up to speed. Wish me luck.

PS I do fly radio control aircraft so I haven't been completely out of flying. :D

Good luck,shouldn't be that hard if you've already done the book work.

Best of luck. I started flying again in November after 2 years away. You'll be surprised at how much you remember.

Good luck. I have a ten year gap in my logbook as well. Went to the flight school, got a current FAR & AIM and my old private pilot text, about an hour of ground, and three sessions of dual and I was all signed off and current again.

I had a 31 year gap and a country change. Took me longer but well worth it.

I like staying current with Xplane Flight Sim... not saying that's the only one, nor am I an affiliate, just like the sim... :)

If you have not done so go to faasafety.gov and sign up for the Wings program. While not perfect they have some good on line courses including some through third parties- most are free.

Reason why I joined the forum. I haven't flown PIC since 03 either. I'm currently working to regain some knowledge to get current again this summer. Thanks for that info blackhawk I will check it out.

Well I did 1.1 hr flying yesterday with an instructor. I was nervous but it was good getting into the cockpit again. I was rusty on everything. I was chasing the instruments during turning maneuvers trying to hold altitude. I was nervous on the radio. Working the radios and flying the airplane was to much of an over load first time out so the instructor worked the radios while I focused on flying the airplane. We did 3 touch and goes. To me and instructor amazement my take offs and landings were excellent. I had no difficulty taxing the airplane. My instructor said I mostly likely need 6 hours of dual before sign off.
Next step is to get my medical current and schedule more flying lessons.
Thanks all.

Last edited:
I have to be honest. I was disappointed with myself after landing and parked the plane. I guess I thought I could simply go fly without any mistakes after 10 years of not flying. I had a wake up call for sure. Looking forward to the next flight. I'm sure with more air time things will start coming together.

Well that's a normal reaction but pick up & dust off. The next six hours will sharpen a lot of things that are dull and show you what you need to go out and practice for yourself.

Do you know and understand the factors that made your TOs and landings excellent? That will be key to consistency. Enjoy...

I have to be honest. I was disappointed with myself after landing and parked the plane. I guess I thought I could simply go fly without any mistakes after 10 years of not flying. I had a wake up call for sure. Looking forward to the next flight. I'm sure with more air time things will start coming together.

Sounds like you had the same experience as I did after a 5 year hiatus. I felt almost exactly the same way. Thankfully my flying was pretty good but my book knowledge was shot. I too felt very disappointed in myself after that day. Don't worry though, iflyvfr is right that after a few more hours (5-6 does sound about right) you'll feel like you've never left.

Just take what you now realize you're rusty on and practice it away from the plane. It helped me wonders and the second time up I felt about 90% home again.

Don't feel bad.

I went up in the backseat with my dad and a CFI for a few lessons(technically his flight review), over the past 5 weeks. Dad hasn't flown since 2006.

Frankly the first lesson was pretty scary.. From my observations in back. He needed 5 lessons and the CFI signed him off. That's a long time to be absent from flying.

I flew him to lunch the other day, and it is clear he is more aware of what's going on now. He made a much better co-pilot than he did when I flew him somewhere for lunch back in early December.

Well that's a normal reaction but pick up & dust off. The next six hours will sharpen a lot of things that are dull and show you what you need to go out and practice for yourself.

Do you know and understand the factors that made your TOs and landings excellent? That will be key to consistency. Enjoy...

I contribute to me being active in rc flying and understanding how to control air speed on landings, flare and slowing the airplane down. Taxing and take offs is all about steering directional control on the ground. Again stuff I do with rc flying.

I decided to try a different flight school and do my flight review in a C172. I liked the PA 28 I flew but wasn't a fan of one door opening to the cockpit and passenger area. The C172 seems to have more room.

Anyway I'm scheduled for this Saturday in a C172. Medical appointment is scheduled for tomorrow.

Can someone provide me a list of publications I should be reading to help me through the flight review.

Thanks.

I decided to try a different flight school and do my flight review in a C172. I liked the PA 28 I flew but wasn't a fan of one door opening to the cockpit and passenger area. The C172 seems to have more room.

Anyway I'm scheduled for this Saturday in a C172. Medical appointment is scheduled for tomorrow.

Can someone provide me a list of publications I should be reading to help me through the flight review.

Thanks.

I quit for twenty years. I flew with an instructor for two dozen flights before flying a bfr, then a bunch more before getting current on my instrument rating.

I purchased the sportys courses for iPad (ok), did the wings on line courses,watched some YouTube videos, bought several courses on the g1000 (GPS didn't exist when I quit). I also read several books. Fly as much as you can.

Ok I found this on the web.

FAA has no additional fees above what the physician charges. Most AMEs charge between $80 to $150 for basic exams.

So is there no Cap for what a AME could charge?

The DR was very nice though.

Honestly, be thankful for your $150 medical. Many have to spend $thousands to test/document if things are just a bit out of the ordinary. e.g. Did you pass out once while giving blood? Cardio tests all around, and all on your dime!

For the years that it's good for, it's a fairly small expense in aviation.

Glad you're getting back in.

I'm 45 so I will have to go back two years. I'm glad the medical stuff is over. If I was denied medical I think it would have been game over getting current.

No never passed out giving blood.

Ok if you are following my progress to getting current again here is my latest.

Last Saturday did one hour ground school and 1.9 hours with the instructor.

Ground school was going over airplane and pilot requirements for safe and legal flight. Also we covered airspace requirements for Pilot, Airplane and weather.

For the flying part we did stalls power on and Off. Step turns, Turns to a heading, loss of engine power, hood work, slow flight and 4 touch and goes. I was rusty in all area's
but my instructor said I did pretty good for not flying for 10 years. I'm more critical of myself. My landings were good except I need to work on my airspeed more. Also I need to flare more on landings.

It was a good day but I was mentally exhausted. I believe next we are going to work on VOR navigation and cross country. I believe at this point I can safely fly the plane solo but I not even close to being comfortable. I will get there over time. Looking forward to more lessons.

Thanks.

I'm discourage today. I seem to have to relearn everything. Grrrr
I'm more comfortable in the airplane but my flying is no where pts standards.
I keep thinking am I really up to this age at 46.

I'm discourage today. I seem to have to relearn everything. Grrrr
I'm more comfortable in the airplane but my flying is no where pts standards.
I keep thinking am I really up to this age at 46.

46? You're practically a young pup by pilot standards! I sure hope so. Patience grasshopper...:)

It's just discouraging when I used to fly these Maneuvers so well now it like learning to ride a bike. I can indeed fly the plane and safety land but today I was under the hood most of the flight and Working the vor at the same time but felt little overwhelmed. To date I'm just over 4 hours after getting back into this.

Last edited:
I'm discourage today. I seem to have to relearn everything. Grrrr I'm more comfortable in the airplane but my flying is no where pts standards. I keep thinking am I really up to this age at 46.

Congratulations on getting back into flying full scale.

Also Happy Birthday...Prior post you were 45, now 46.:D

Don't be discouraged. You've been away from flying for a very long time.

My dad is 68. He just got back into it after 10 years away. I rode backseat on his review... and let's face it, it was more of a lesson. It was almost scary, but after 5-6 lessons, he was doing really well and I could tell how much he picked back up. You'll do the same:)

Thanks for the words of encouragement .
I hope the next 4 hours everything will start coming together. I'm a little bummed out. I'm making newbie mistakes.

Ok this weekend I gained some confidence. Flight Maneuvers were looking better. Landing were looking better. Pattern needs some work as my pattern was too wide. I think another 4 hours I should be close to sign off.

I stopped beating myself for me being so rusty in all areas. I faced the facts I need some air time for it all to come back together again.

Thanks.

Had my first time flying in 10 months. They were the worst touchdowns I've had in a year...but they were touchdowns. Nothing unsafe, just really, REALLY ugly. It will come back. The judgement on height vs energy will get there.

Ok myself and instructor did T & G at 3 different Class D airports with lots of Radio work last Saturday. I did mess up calling a tower by a different name. We did a total of 7 T & G and 1 Full stop landings. Per instructor my landings a pattern work has much improved. Flight maneuvers are getting better. Right now I'm at 6.9hr dual instruction since getting current again after 10 years of not flying. I figure I need another 3 hours before sign off but my instructor hasn't indicated otherwise. He is not setting me up for any expectations on the number of hours.

Well anyway I will just keep plugging along and some day I will post "I'm current again?

Hey, flying is flying and you're making progress. You can only get better:)

Back