Getting burned out on my training!

Late Bloomer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Late Bloomer
I'm currently enrolled in an accelerated flight training program. It's been almost two weeks since I began. After this Saturday, I will have completed all my XCs. I'm supposed to have my check ride sometime next week, but I don't feel at all prepared for it.

My mistake was taking the written exam April 2012, instead of recently. I've forgotten most of it. I don't remember about navigation, airspace, cloud clearance/visibility, regulations, etc. I also don't have all the flight maneuvers mastered yet. In addition, I don't have my 10 hours of solo time yet.

The flight school seems to think I'll be ready in time, but I'm not so sure. I have to return home no later than Friday, and I'm already burned out at the fast pace I've been going. When I'm not flying, I'm studying. I've been thinking about returning home and finishing up at a slower pace, so I can be better prepared for the check ride. Opinions?

Have you already paid your money? What do you have to lose by finishing? Even if you fail the checkride, you can bone up at home and try it again. You do need to know the navigation and airspace stuff pretty well for the oral, but it isn't that difficult. What is the pass rate on the school? They won't sign you off for the ride, unless they think you are ready.

Flight schools aren't known for their unwarranted optimism. Take a deep breath, relax and remember they've seen all this many times before. If they think you'll be ready, you'll probably be ready.

Tell them about your uncertainties and ask how they think you can prepare without working yourself into a lather. After a half-hour review of airspace, you'll remember it all again.

This is temporary and will pass...adapt and overcome. In less than two weeks you will be home relaxin

My family feels the same way as you all do. I just want to get this over with!

DUDE GO FOR IT YOU WILL FINE!!! COUPLE MORE HOURS FINISHING UP YOUR 10 SOLO AND YOU WILL BE PERFECTLY READY!!!

Just one question. Have you lost your interest in learning to fly? If so, why? Because if after you get your PPL you will not use it, then why waste anymore time. I would see if I could quit and at least get some money back. If you still want to fly then I would trudge on, you will get your PPL and then the fun of flying can begin.

Suck it up and stick it out.

I agree with this. If you are on an accelerated program, it won't be long now! You'll be thankful you did it. Just be sure to keep on flying afterwards, or you will lose what you've learned!

I finished up my PPL at a place like this after a long absence from training, and I do know what you're going through. The advice in this thread is good. Stick it out and do the checkride. Once you have your ticket you never have to take another one for the rest of your life. Just try to stay relaxed.

Retake a sample written test and brush up on what you missed.
You're probably paid up, just fly until your done.

We all reach a point of self doubt in training. Just push through it. Worst you have to lose is failing but if you quit that is no better. just push through it. If you do fail then finish up at home.

If you feel you are doing anything unsafe than resolve that with the head flight instructor but as for just not passing that is another matter.

no problem if you try and fail and then go home and finish up.

There is a good chance you will try and pass.

Thans for all the advice. I do instead to stick it out. Less than a week to go!

Review some of the basic info and get it done! You are so close.
My $.02
Eric

This may help you feel better about your training .:D
slide2.jpg

I'll bet once you start to review the material for the oral part of the checkride it will come back to you pretty quickly.

Keep it up!!

I'm currently enrolled in an accelerated flight training program. It's been almost two weeks since I began. After this Saturday, I will have completed all my XCs. I'm supposed to have my check ride sometime next week, but I don't feel at all prepared for it.

My mistake was taking the written exam April 2012, instead of recently. I've forgotten most of it. I don't remember about navigation, airspace, cloud clearance/visibility, regulations, etc. I also don't have all the flight maneuvers mastered yet. In addition, I don't have my 10 hours of solo time yet.

The flight school seems to think I'll be ready in time, but I'm not so sure. I have to return home no later than Friday, and I'm already burned out at the fast pace I've been going. When I'm not flying, I'm studying. I've been thinking about returning home and finishing up at a slower pace, so I can be better prepared for the check ride. Opinions?

I understand completely how you feel, I started my training with the accelerated program, I have always been confident in any goal I set myself, but I have to admit for me as a mature guy (64) the accelerated program was a bridge too far ! I managed the first week and half out of the three scheduled, just got to solo in the pattern and I just mentally and physically burned out and had to call a halt to it.
I was very disappointed in myself, but I felt I had made the right decision, I took a two month break back home in the UK and then on my next trip to Florida I continued my training on a hourly rate, it took me a total of 80 hours to get proficient to pass my check ride so obviously cost me more than if I had stuck with the accelerated course, but doing it at my own pace made for a much more enjoyable experience, and in my case hopefully makes me a safer pilot as I continue to learn this amazing world of aviation.

Good luck with achieving your dream of becoming a pilot be it by next week or beyond.

Argh! Some monkey wrenches have been thrown into my plans:

#1. Long XC postponed until Monday due to haze (smoke from controlled burning).
#2. Supposed to have T-storms on Tuesday & possibly Wednesday.
#3. I'm one of the lucky ones affected by the sequestration, so I'm getting furloughed. There are a series of meetings next week about my job that my boss highly recommends I attend.

That's OK--my ultimate goal was to solo, which I accomplished. I've already made arrangements to finish up when I return home.

Life happens sir...good call. Now you will have a chance to really enjoy the training.

+1 Ben- love the photo of the plane with the attractive lady accessory :)
I too went through this after spending hours in the pattern without solo yet. I temper my passion with patience.

I took my checkride almost a month ago and I still feel burnt out!!! My advice is to just suck it up and get it over with, until then you wont be able to let yourself fully relax anyway.

Well just don't give up. Heck, I have folks on AOPA forums telling me that I am not cut out to be a pilot after 36 hours without first solo yet and I tell them wrong some of us are not born sky jockies and take longer to learn the skills. For me, its fun and I've always wanted to learn to fly since I was a kid so not gonna give up. Plus it opens dating opportunities as a single guy as a bonus women love guys who are pilots or sky jockies :)

I disagree- being a pilot with a plane allows a single guy to date women from larger radius of distance rather than single small metro area.

I disagree- being a pilot with a plane allows a single guy to date women from larger radius of distance rather than single small metro area.

Ok, but speaking from experience, it hasn't worked out that way for me. A lot of women don't like small planes and small planes truly are not a reliable form of transportation. YMMV

True but it takes the whole thing about women being expensive to a whole new level. And if you believe in not letting your woman meet your mistress, then you certainly shouldn't let them know about your airplane!

And c'mon, John. You just hate to admit you liked the pic. It's the original pinup girl/airplane shot.

True but it takes the whole thing about women being expensive to a whole new level. And if you believe in not letting your woman meet your mistress, then you certainly shouldn't let them know about your airplane!

And c'mon, John. You just hate to admit you liked the pic. It's the original pinup girl/airplane shot.

I love the pic. Now if she would just hop in the right seat of my Cherokee :)

A quote from myself, to the CFI who had just signed me off for the CFI initial practical: "What is this thing you call prepared?"

Yeah women want a rich guy with a Gulfstream jet. Anyways it makes you more interesting and women like a guy who is different than typical joe. Anyways its opened up doors for me on dating and once I am a pilot even more so :)

Back