Getting back into it

jsterner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jsterner
I got my PPL 50 yrs ago but let my medical lag because of other things. (stockcar racing) Finally got the nerve to get back into it and discovered to my joy that the license doesn't expire. Sadly, I have had a stent implanted 2 years ago so I have to jump through hoops with the FFA. Took my first flight with my instructor and had a blast! She sat back, put her hands in her lap and let me takeoff and fly to the practice area. When we returned to do a touch and go I got a little high and fast so she had some input. The next time around she sat and watched, worked out great! It was hot and bumpy with a crosswind but sorta like riding a bike, it comes back. Can't wait for the next time around.

You'll be fine with the medical after a few jumping a few hoops. I know Class 1 airline pilots with stents.

Biggest thing is to learn all the new regs!

Awesome! You flying out of KRYN or KTUS? Fly to Marana one day and get breakfast, really short flight for you but fun and tasty!

Keep in mind that you can fly under "sport pilot" privileges without getting your medical back, using your driver's license as a medical. (There are some other stipulations, check out the regs.)

Might be a good temporary solution for you if the medical takes a while or you decide not to pursue it.

Finally got the nerve to get back into it and discovered to my joy that the license doesn't expire.
That you're certificated doesn't expire however if the document you have is paper, the document is expired and you need to contact the FAA to get a plastic one. You can't legally fly until you've got the plastic in your possession (or perhaps a temporary you get when you order the plastic, I'm not certain of that).

A stent is no big deal now,once you go through the procedure with the AME the first time. Welcome back I came back after 23 years and love it.

A stent is no big deal now,once you go through the procedure with the AME the first time. Welcome back I came back after 23 years and love it.

I would assume that one would want to have the appropriate documentation in hand when walking into the AMEs office to avoid problems. I would further assume that one would want to check with said AME (or other reliable source) ahead of time to make sure what would be considered appropriate documentation.

But, welcome back.

Back