Getting back into flying: need recommendation for training material

jorgeelizondom

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nineties' pilot
Hi,

It's been since 1993 that I've been out in the cold and now I'm finally able to plan my return to flying. Back then I only logged 150 hours so I'm really really rusted. I'm sooo excited to be able to be back, though.

Before going back to the airport, I would like to re-learn all the theory and become familiar with everything again by means of a DVD course so that I make good use of my time at the airport.

Which DVD (or online) course do you guys recommend?

Thanks for your help and looking forward to hang around here with you.

Regards

Last edited:
At this point, doing a complete Private Pilot ground school course might be the best starting place -- you'll probably be amazed how much you've forgotten, but also how much comes back with just a bit of reminding. If you like lecture type DVD's, the King courses are very popular. If you like interactive computer training, try the Jeppesen Flite School package.

At this point, doing a complete Private Pilot ground school course might be the best starting place -- you'll probably be amazed how much you've forgotten, but also how much comes back with just a bit of reminding. If you like lecture type DVD's, the King courses are very popular. If you like interactive computer training, try the Jeppesen Flite School package.

The King courses are indeed good. I also liked this book by Bob Gardner. Take some practice knowledge exams after you feel like you have a handle on everything.

While the OP mentioned looking for a DVD course, Bob Gardner's Complete Private Pilot would be an excellent choice for a bibliophilic returnee to flying -- along with a current FAR/AIM book, although you probably should grab that regardless of your basic training system. I prefer the ASA version with the lists in the front of the book of what sections to study by certificate/rating.

I also left around the same timeframe (1992) with half the hours (80) and returned at the end of 2007.

Since then I have purchased an aircraft and am going for my instrument rating this summer.

When I returned, I traded in my VHS copies of the King Private Pilot Ground school and updated them with the most current DVD copies. It was a very good way to get back into it if that is the way you learn. I happen to really learn well from the King approach. If you used them in the early 90s on VHS I would take the same approach.

It is amazing to think now, but the ABC airspace didn't exist back then, and Loran was the cool new thing.

The following is also helpful if you are an AOPA member as it lists changes for certain time periods:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/guides/getback.html

I agree with Ron as well about the ASA version of the FAR/AIM.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back