Getting Back In the Air

johnod1983

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
johnod
Hi All,

I went to a Part 141 school and earned my BS along with my Commercial Multi Instrument license. I entered the military and did not fly and spent 10 years flying a desk...Now that I'm out I want to get back into flying and use my GI Bill to pay for my CFI ratings.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the VA? I'm worried that they won't cover me getting current and up to speed to begin actually working on my CFI.

I used the Post 9/11 to get my Instrument rating. I had to have a second class medical, have my PPL, and attend a part 141 school. The VA didn't say anything about being current but if I wasn't current the IR would have been difficult. Maybe pay for your BFR and training leading to it then go for the CFI. Or... talk with the Part 141 school, maybe they can make something work and I bet they can, though it will likely still cost you money. The VA only pays $10,500 per year for flight training so keep that in mind. Well at least that's when I went though in 2013. Being current I still came out of pocket a bit for my IR after the VA fees. 141 training is expensive!

Back