Getting back in the air

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
About 2 or 3 years ago I more or less gave up flying to rearrange my finances. Prior to that I of course got my PP-ASEL and instrument rating and logged 200+ hrs. I'm just about ready to get back up there in August, but I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

I tried reading the relevant sections of (pt 61, 67, & 91) of the FARs, but over the years I think I lost the ability to properly interpret them. I figure I'll do the following in this order.

1. Get a 3rd class medical (required)
2. Find a CFI and complete a BFR. (required)
3. Complete 3 night take offs and landings. (required for night w/ pax)
4. Do most of the IPC on the sim (not sure if this is allowed). (required)
5. Complete IPC. (required)
6. Learn to use the GPS beyond D->
7. Fly the 182T with a CFI to refresh knowledge of HP.
8. Complete misc FBO recency reqs not covered above.
9. Fly to Big Bear (L45) & Catalina with CFI. (density alt & optical illusions issues there)
10. Fly

Did I miss anything important? Has there been any meaningful changes to pt 91 in the past 3 years?

Between steps 1 and 2, you might try getting into the AIM and studying the sections recommended for study for PP-Airplane. Ditto for the sections for Instrument rating between steps 3 and 4. No big changes to 91, but there have been a few to 61, so some review there is warranted.

Also, it's possible to do most of an IPC in a sim, but you have to check the Letter of Authorization for that particular sim to make sure it's approved for that use, and for which Tasks it is approved.

Finally, if it's been that long, you might want to do your first few night landings with an instructor.

Finally, if it's been that long, you might want to do your first few night landings with an instructor.

Yeah, I think I might even say, you might want to do a few day landings with an instructor too. If its been that long, it sure isn't going to hurt.

About 2 or 3 years ago I more or less gave up flying to rearrange my finances. Prior to that I of course got my PP-ASEL and instrument rating and logged 200+ hrs. I'm just about ready to get back up there in August, but I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

I tried reading the relevant sections of (pt 61, 67, & 91) of the FARs, but over the years I think I lost the ability to properly interpret them. I figure I'll do the following in this order.

1. Get a 3rd class medical (required)
2. Find a CFI and complete a BFR. (required)
3. Complete 3 night take offs and landings. (required for night w/ pax)
4. Do most of the IPC on the sim (not sure if this is allowed). (required)
5. Complete IPC. (required)
6. Learn to use the GPS beyond D->
7. Fly the 182T with a CFI to refresh knowledge of HP.
8. Complete misc FBO recency reqs not covered above.
9. Fly to Big Bear (L45) & Catalina with CFI. (density alt & optical illusions issues there)
10. Fly

Did I miss anything important? Has there been any meaningful changes to pt 91 in the past 3 years?

You're where I was when I left for seven or eight years.

Random thoughts:

At your step #2, consult with the CFI. They'll have good ideas.

Prior to step #3, go knock out some day landings first. Why make it difficult. Make sure you can perform all the required landings in your Private Pilot test, including short, soft, and crosswind.

Get with the CFI and hammer emergency procedures back into your head. Make sure you have the boldface items for your checklist memorized and practice your emergency flows, both "chair flying" and in the aircraft.

Get a Private Pilot and Instrument Pilot Practical Test Standards book. Use it as your guide to decide if you can accomplish all the items required for both the license and the rating, including some trips to the local practice area to check out how your stalls, steep turns, etc, look.

Plan a long X-C and fly it in begnign weather. Make sure your "pilot habits" for weather planning/watching, and planning skills haven't gone rusty. Don't get lazy and over-rely on the GPS. Do a few out and backs with paper and see if you can hit your times, find landmarks, etc.

If it's all feeling like getting back on a bike, with no problems, hammer that IPC and you're back in the saddle. If your landings are crap, or something like that... Just pause a bit and fix 'em with a CFI.

Easy peasy. Just get something in your hands like a PTS book to objectively rate yourself and take it easy. Remember it's not a race. The only penalty for not getting it right at first is that you have to go fly more. Oh no! ;)

Note: Many of the above items can be combined into the same flight if you're willing to go up for a while, or even on a X-C. There's no rule that says you can't practice stalls in cruise to a destination or throw in a couple of steep turns. Taking the CFI along can also mean the usual CFI throttle reach... And pull... To idle. I seem to have an awful lot of engine "failures" when CFIs are on board. Damn airplane runs fine when they're not in the right seat. :D :dunno:

FWIW, if I were the instructor you approached, I'd probably plan about a four flight syllabus. First flight would probably be a basic airwork workout, perhaps some hoodwork, and then some pattern work. Second/third would probably be a short (25-50 nm) out & back, maybe with the return leg at night for multiple landings. Fourth flight would focus on instruments, and fifth flight if necessary to fill any remaining gaps. Could easily be a weekend program, maybe a long weekend. Too bad you're an expensive airline ticket away -- based on what you've written, I'd love to fly with you, but if you're interested, I can bring the sim with me.

Last edited:
Between steps 1 and 2, you might try getting into the AIM and studying the sections recommended for study for PP-Airplane. Ditto for the sections for Instrument rating between steps 3 and 4. No big changes to 91, but there have been a few to 61, so some review there is warranted.

Given the 4 months between now and August I had originally planned a review of the AIM and relevant FARs as a prerequisite to returning to the air. IME flying isn't the hard part. It's really the rules and safe decision making that's tough.
Assuming no major changes at the FBO my first day and night landings will almost certainly be with a CFI per FBO rules. They have recency rules that almost mirror 61.57 regardless of pax.

You're where I was when I left for seven or eight years.

Random thoughts:

Plan a long X-C and fly it in begnign weather. Make sure your "pilot habits" for weather planning/watching, and planning skills haven't gone rusty. Don't get lazy and over-rely on the GPS. Do a few out and backs with paper and see if you can hit your times, find landmarks, etc.

Guess I have to relearn how to read the various weather charts again. The tricky part is to figure out if I'll pass through "visible moisture" between -2C & +2C.
Far as pilotage & DR, when I used to fly those were my favorite methods of navigation. Given the handful of failures I've had in my short flight experience I've been wary of GPS due to all the underlying stuff that has to work for it to work.

FWIW, if I were the instructor you approached, I'd probably plan about a four flight syllabus. ...

Oh, well that's a lot quicker then I envisioned. I suppose the next step is to get a fresh copy of the FAR/AIM, then a get a fresh set of maps sometime closer to August.

Yeah, I think I might even say, you might want to do a few day landings with an instructor too. If its been that long, it sure isn't going to hurt.

There's no FBO in the land of SoCal that'll rent me a plane without a successful checkride similar to an abridged PP checkride.

Back