Getting Back In The Air After Extended Period Of Time

Flyerfan10028

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kenny
Hello everyone!
New to the boards, hoping im posting in the correct area.

I havent flown in 5-6 years and looking to get back into aviation. I currently hold my private pilots license with instrument rating. When i stopped flying (financial reasons) i was at ATP going for my commercial multi so i do have some multi hours. For now i just wanna get back into aviation as a hobby more then a career.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on the route to go back into the air. I have about 200 hours, and a lot of my knowledge of regs and requirements has left my brain. :mad2:

Been bothering me for years being out of the sky, flyings just one of those passions i cant shake!

Thanks for your time and any advice!

Find a flight school,or CFI ,set up a plan ,start flying. You may ask them what you should review before flying.

Go over some of the free king videos on YouTube, airspace, annuals/ADs, the etc, than to do a BFR with a CFI, might take a couple flights to get you back in the saddle.

Get a CFI, get a flight review. Push the go faster button/lever and have fun.

5 to 6 years out. That is nothing. I am getting back into it after 30 years away. Marriage and family stopped it now I am getting back into it before it's to late. Just passed my medical. Next stop flight review.

I'm in the same boat as you, although more time away and fewer than half the hours you have. Here are my tips...

1. Forums like PoA are a good start. There could be a local pilot willing to connect you to his/her pilot network. Granted, it's an internet forum, so expect a lot of BS, canned responses, and irrelevant answers. :wink2:

2. Get a current medical. If mine wasn't current, I'm certain I'd have procrastinated more than I already have.

3. Get an updated FAR/AIM and Sectional, and start reacquainting yourself with both.

4. If you have flight simulator software, use it to remind you of what a panel looks like, what the instruments do, and how navigation (VOR, GPS) works. DISCLAIMER: It is NOT the same as real flight but, if you remember that, it's a tool that can take armchair flying to the next level.

5. Start compiling a list of local airports, flight schools, flying clubs, CFIs, etc. so you'll know where to go when you're ready for a review.

Other than that, welcome to the forum! You're IR with 200 hours, so I imagine you'll be back at it pretty quickly. Good luck and let us know how it all goes!

Hello everyone!

New to the boards, hoping im posting in the correct area.

I havent flown in 5-6 years and looking to get back into aviation. I currently hold my private pilots license with instrument rating. When i stopped flying (financial reasons) i was at ATP going for my commercial multi so i do have some multi hours. For now i just wanna get back into aviation as a hobby more then a career.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on the route to go back into the air. I have about 200 hours, and a lot of my knowledge of regs and requirements has left my brain. :mad2:

Been bothering me for years being out of the sky, flyings just one of those passions i cant shake!

Thanks for your time and any advice!

If it were me, I would find a local CFI and tell him where I stood, then go fly.

Find a flight school,or CFI ,set up a plan ,start flying. You may ask them what you should review before flying.

The local instructor is the way to go. Based on your internet name, you may live in the Philly area. If this is so, you'll want to get caught up on the SFRA/FRZ rules.

A lot will come back pretty quick.

thanks for the advice everyone! its greatly appreciated!

AOPA has resources on its website that helps you get back into flying, and also for rusty pilots.

AOPA has resources on its website that helps you get back into flying, and also for rusty pilots.
Right here. And I would strongly recommend digging into that before signing up for any flight training -- it will save you time and money, and better prepare you for the first training session.

Kenny,

Go to the FAA Wings website and sign up and start through the free online courses, they have an enormous amount of up to date information.

Completing the online courses will also make it simple to complete your flight review as they are used in lieu of the ground portion.

And since you said that you are getting back into flying for recreation, find a place to get your tailwheel endorsement. You will regain(actually improve on) your rusty stick and rudder skills while having more fun than anything you have tried to date in an airplane.

Also, if you find an instructor who participates in the Wings program you can complete the 3 Flight Activities and update your flight review at the same time.

Back