Getting an ATP rating??

GregP

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GregP
I am currently working my way toward my commercial but I have been reading that regionals and some corp jobs require an ATP. so my question is, does the 1500 hours and other requirements need to be in AMEL or can all the time be done in a single engine? and if so, is there a restriction placed on the rating to single engine ATP only? Thanks in advance

Some needs to be in a multi, and some can be in anything else. The particular regulation you're getting the ATP under (Part 61 or 141) will specifically say "in a multi-engine aircraft" or words to that effect as needed.

You can get a Single Engine ATP. It really isn't that useful in the 121 world. You can get a Multi Engine ATP with very little twin time as long as you meet all the requirements. I had about 35 hours of twin time when I got mine.

For the multi ATP you need 50 hours in class(AMEL) and 25 of it can be in a full flight sim if done through a 121, 135, 141, or 142 training program.

I got my MEL ATP with about 350 hours in an airplane and the remainder in airships. So, as long as you have the flight time requirements spelled out by regulation, you'll be fine.

Go out and fly a cheap single, build some time and pick up the multi time before the ATP flight test. You will probably get twenty of those hours getting the amel,and prep time for the ATP.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys.

Back