Getting a plane Night VFR certified

blazer003

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Our OMF-Symphony 160 is the last (SN0012) to be produced as "Day VFR only."

We obviously knew this when we bought it, but our hope is that we can get it night certified. We've been given the run around by the FAA. The first person my partner and I talked to said if it met the list of requirements for night VFR according to FAR 91.205 (FLAPS) we were good to go. It does have the listed items, so my instructor and I did a night flight.

Afterward my instructor wanted to be a little more sure, so he called the FAA himself. Different person, different answer. Because the type certificate for the plane specifically says anything before SN 0012 was certified Day VFR only the plane must be updated to Night VFR standards as per the company's instructions.

Here's where having a plane manufactured by an out of business company can give you some trouble. We can't figure out what change was made to get night certification after SN 0012.

Anyone have any experience with getting a 'Day VFR only' tag lifted? Here's a link to the type cert. Look at the bottom for page 3.

http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_g...7b6524073b7558625704b0058b7b2/$FILE/a46ce.pdf

Thanks for any help!

Back