Getting a Mechanic to Remote Prebuy

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
OK,

I've been looking and found a couple aircraft that look promising. One looks like a gem on paper, about 500nm away. Seller insists pre-buy be done where it sits.

What are my options for locating an objective talented AMT nearby.

I don't know if the local shop would spare their guy. I like that the seller is choosy about who works on his plane.

Thanks,

If you don't know if the local shop will "spare their guy", just call and ask them how much they would require for the job.

That being said, I suggest you arrange for an inspector that is not likely to already know the plane, to reduce the possibility of an inspection biased in favor of the seller.

Just make sure the only guy in town is not the seller's guy. If you say where it is perhaps someone here will know a good A&P

Make your deal with the seller subject to test flight and pre-buy. Take your guy along to do it. Have everything set up to close as soon as you're happy with the condition and resolution of pre-buy squawks. Then you and your mechanic jump in and fly it home.

The last deal I did this way was in NJ, 980 nm from Dallas. No problemo.

OK,

I've been looking and found a couple aircraft that look promising. One looks like a gem on paper, about 500nm away. Seller insists pre-buy be done where it sits.

What are my options for locating an objective talented AMT nearby.

I don't know if the local shop would spare their guy. I like that the seller is choosy about who works on his plane.

Thanks,

I charge 350.00 per day plus expenses, where is it and when do you want me there?

Do NOT use his guy. Definitely need a third party that won't ignore the Crap his guy may have been passing for several annuals. Two planes recently bought on our field and you'd be amazed what we found......

What I did was to get the type club membership info and find an owner nearby and call him and ask who he'd recommend as a mechanic.

Never use the owners mech no matter how picket he says he is.Find another shop and check on there referrals .I have also had my mechanic talk to the mech doing the pre buy over the phone.

You should be able to find someone that can go to the aircraft. I do all of my pre-purchase inspections on the road. I'll be in CA on Wed and TN on Fri. looking at PA 46 aircraft. Surely someone else is doing this too.

Hi guys,
I do lots of Pre buys on the road. Whether in my hangar or at a remote location you will get the same service.

I do a detailed look at the records, test run or test fly (preferable) and a detailed visual of the aircraft, comp test and borescope the cylinders and a gear retract test off applicable. I will the provide you with a confidential report and a detailed list of discrepancies.

You can have the sellers shop pull the inspection plates etc. Bring the IA who will do your annuals to do the inspection part, stick a bore-scope in etc. I have dealt with a buyer from the netherlands who sent his mechanic across the atlantic to do the pre-buy in this manner.

Back