Gettin' there

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Gettin' there, and real partial panel

Today's instrument lesson was a bit atypical.

First of all, I had some real good bumps which made my ILS at Easton very interesting. I was very happy with how "stuck" the needles were (thanks, Ron, for posting the METHOD), but at the last 50 feet, I got an amazing gusting updraft. To keep the needle from dropping out the bottom of the gauge, I had to push the nose down. Suddenly the gust was gone, and I was adding power and pulling up to maintain altitude, now at DH. It was fun (really)!

Then, we started the missed and requested another go at the ILS. For some reason, I didn't do as well this time, but I still stayed within a 1/3 deflection. Close enough. Circle around to land on 33. I was as stabilized as I could be, but the left, gusting crosswind (22 kts) didn't help. I touched down pretty well, but came up again a foot or two. No biggie--just add a drop of power and level out again. Second time 'round was a charm! (For those of you who are analysts, I was carrying extra speed for the gusts. I was flying 80 on final where this bird, at that weight really ought to be flown at 75.)

Lunch at Easton. Afterwards, we got a nice close look at their BRAND NEW EXECUTIVE OASIS CESSNA CARAVAN. Oh, dribble, dribble, slobber, slobber. Mmmmmm--so pretty. The pilot says the Caravan is as easy to fly as a 206; it is just that you've got more to memorize in terms of the systems. (Was it Marty who said, "the hardest thing about flying the Caravan is starting the engine?")

Trip home was fine, and we did the circle to land dance we always do there. Oh, yeah--I had REAL partial panel on that leg. It turns out I hadn't fully switched the flight instrument switches on. Since it was VMC, my CFII made me do penance by flying without covering the precessing instruments. Wow. Flying partial panel with covers is so much easier. What a big distraction! The good thing about this, though, was that I have always wondered whether or not I would notice if the instruments became unreliable, and I did. It isn't hard to miss, though, because they are electric, and you get a very obvious flag.

Great day.

http://www.mdair.com/aircharters.html

Last edited:
wsuffa said:
Hey Eamon!!!

You need an upgrade!!!

Oh, yeah. One may wonder why someone would spend 1.8 on a turbine that only flies 170 KIAS. We all know, of course, that one of the reasons is that the Caravan is such an excellent hauler. But the luxury of this plane is incredible. Even the crew seats are very comfortable.

wangmyers said:
Oh, yeah. One may wonder why someone would spend 1.8 on a turbine that only flies 170 KIAS. We all know, of course, that one of the reasons is that the Caravan is such an excellent hauler. But the luxury of this plane is incredible. Even the crew seats are very comfortable.

Guess we need to get you into a G-IV sometime....

Ben,

When are you going to take your checkride? I feel like you are already in the club...you just need to make it official!

wsuffa said:
Guess we need to get you into a G-IV sometime....
LOL! Yep--I've seen the interior of Gulfstreams before. I can't imagine anything more luxurious except the Boeing Business Jet! I guess I got excited becuase this aircraft is (in theory) one I might be able to fly some day. (Notice I didn't say "own," "co-own," or "rent.") :p

RobertGerace said:
Ben,

When are you going to take your checkride? I feel like you are already in the club...you just need to make it official!
Thanks very much for saying so, Bob. Unfortunately, I suffer from two major problems: 1) I am a slow learner, and 2) I have trouble imagining myself with the rating (psychological block).

The slow learner part hurts me on review. For example, flying the missed, I have to do an NDB hold, and I screw up my tracking because under pressure I can't remember how to bracket. The next lesson, we'll fix that, but then I am rusty on something else. The fix for this will be to have a couple of weeks before the checkride wherein I fly almost every day. Then after the ride, I'll limit myself to high ceilings for awhile.

The psychological part is a bigger barrier (and harder to describe). For example, I find myself asking my CFI questions to which I already have the answers. ("You think I should do my prelanding checklist here?") Recently he's been weaning me from this. Today, for instance, he just emphasized that he wasn't going to help me at all unless I was going to "bust" a standard. I get nervous, and I don't perform all that well. Recently, though, I've been doing OK, even without help. (My CFII keeps telling me that I'm performing much, much better than many long-time IR pilots. Knowing that helps my confidence.)

Ah, blech . . . I just have to do what I tell my cello students to do: envision myself as a master IR pilot, and then work to meet that standard.

:yes:

Ben, exactly.

I finally got the hang of flight training after private, multi, instrument, transition to the 310.

The idea is to stop asking and start acting. (Stop asking 'should I' and start acting like the PIC.)

Just because you have the ticket doesn't mean you have to go use it solo. Work into it slowly, God knows I did -- and so does Bruce. Bruce finally told me to stop taking CFI's who knew less than I did and go by myself...but that was almost 2 years after I got my ticket...sigh...

I think its a safe attitude. I'm sure you'll do fine!

RobertGerace said:
Just because you have the ticket doesn't mean you have to go use it solo. Work into it slowly, God knows I did -- and so does Bruce. Bruce finally told me to stop taking CFI's who knew less than I did and go by myself...but that was almost 2 years after I got my ticket...sigh...
As I pointed out that night in Champaigne, you're a "good gig" for a CFI.

Now what you need to do, to learn, is go get Archie Epps and ask him for some dual. I've got Duane Cole in my logbook...Frances McLaughlin...and each time I learned something priceless.

Ben -

After reading all your posts here and "there" about your training you're a much better pilot than you think you are.

N2212R said:
Ben -

After reading all your posts here and "there" about your training you're a much better pilot than you think you are.

Thanks, Bob, for telling your story. Confidence takes time, I guess.

Bruce, I think I'd do well getting some time with you! Maybe the next time I'm up for a medical, I could do that, and also get some more multi in! (Nah, I'm not waiting another 2.5 years to meet you!)

Ed, thanks for your words of encouragement.

:D

Ben, I hear myself so much in your posts. I do the same thing, asking questions or permission or saying, "Should I..." This only happens with an instructor in the plane. On my own, I'm much more confident. Do you find that to be true of you?

Visualization is what I think they call the remedy. Visualize yourself where you want to be, rehearse it constantly, declare it, shout it. It puts you there, where you want to be, where you in fact already are.

I'm a slow learner, too. I hate that.

Toby said:
Visualization is what I think they call the remedy. Visualize yourself where you want to be, rehearse it constantly, declare it, shout it. It puts you there, where you want to be, where you in fact already are.

I'm a slow learner, too. I hate that.

If I can see it
Then I can do it
If I just believe it
There's nothing to it.

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away.
I believe I can soar
See me running through that open door

I believe I can fly.

Bruce,

Do you have contact information for Archie? Is Epps the same Epps based at PDK?

I second the opinion that you are a much better pilot than you think you are.

Toby,

Sometimes I need to be hit over the head with a 2x4. After private, instrument, and multi, the time came for me to transition to the 310. I only had two days scheduled, and we are at 'just before lunch' on the second day.

As we are nearing our lunch airport, I *almost* asked..."So is this the point where we start slowing down?" to be followed with, "We do that by reducing 2" of manifold pressure, correct?"

Something went DING! and I realized that the whole point here is NOT for me to keep using the MEI as a crutch, but rather to prove I can do it on my own.

After we landed, he asked: "So do you think you can fly and land your airplane by yourself?" I said, "Yes!" He said, "So do I!," and signed me off!

I wish I could pull every flight student aside and say, "Once you get past your first 10 lessons or so...just DO IT! And your CFI will either let you know you're doing it wrong, or move on to the next phase!" :)

Carol, thanks for the song. You always say just the right thing. :)

Carol said:
If I can see it
Then I can do it
If I just believe it
There's nothing to it.

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away.
I believe I can soar
See me running through that open door

I believe I can fly.

Hey Ben, since I just survived my ride the other day, here's one for you.....

At first I was afraid
I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live
without my CFII by my side
I spent so many nights
thinking what I could do wrong
But I grew strong
And I learned how to get along
and so I'm back
from outer space
I just walked in and now I've got
a happy look upon my face
I spent oh so many nights
just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry
Now I hold my head up high....

Take the ride, Ben!
I'd fly IMC with anyone who has put as much thought and delved as deeply into
this stuff as you have.

--Kath

Thank you so much for that, Kath!

I thank you. As soon as this semester is over, I can switch from one flight a week to three, and the big push. I'm hoping for late June.

Back