"Get Out Of Jail Free" card

geezer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kruse'n
Before my instructor started to do my cross wind training, he required me to create what he called a “Get out of jail free” card. Its purpose was to solve the problem of what to do if the home field had too much cross wind for my skills when I started solo.

Sometimes I found that the conditions were worse than expected as I departed contact with the runway, and other times, conditions changed while I was away for a 200 mile round robin cross country. Our runway was relatively short, and when you were in the air, you were committed to depart.

He described what had to be on it, and the order.

3 X 5 card.
First column, runway heading, 000 to 179 degrees
Second, reciprocal heading
Third column, Airport name
Fourth column, Distance from College Park to that airport
Fifth column, Direction to that airport

The listings were arranged with the runways in column 1 in numerical order, which place the second column in the same order. He checked the accuracy of my distance and directions.

Initial use was different from its “Get out of jail free” purpose, he used it to pick runways for cross wind training when the wind was right down the runway at our home field. In those old days, there were more than 10 single runway fields within 30 miles, or 20 minutes, in our Cessna 150. Obviously, with only one runway, cross wind or not, that was the runway all the traffic was using.

After I was endorsed for solo, arriving back home, if the conditions were too challenging for a safe landing, that card came out of my shirt pocket, and the runway nearest to in line with the wind was found, and I turned to that heading. Time to the airport was mentally calculated, present time noted, and arrival time written on the knee board. This might not be necessary if I had previously been to that airport, and knew what it looked like.

Our pre flight check list had that card moved from the flight case to my shirt pocket before removing the control lock, to be certain that it would be at hand if needed.

Later, that habit carried into my long cross country flights, and when the wind at the planned refuel stop was too sporty, a nearby field with a more aligned runway was used. No need to shake up the family proving that I can get down in severe cross winds.

In my first 1,000 hours of flying, I only landed at another field twice due to weather at College Park, but a well established, plan B solidly in your head and pocket is a winner. En route, probably a dozen times, it was the training, not the card that was used out there.

Ozzie’s prime career as an Engineer was frequently apparent in his training techniques.

EDITED to add:
The card I described is an historic artifact, and a guide for student pilots to build their own from.

Last edited:
This is a good idea, and for a beginner like me, seems like a no-brainer to add to my to do list.
Do you mean College Park, MD? If so, you're near me, and I'm wondering how kindly Potomac looks upon flight plan diversions?

I know them as 'divert cards' and have a few for different places I've been based. The ones I've used had other things like appropriate freqs as well.

Nauga,
decked

Add CTAF, wx frequency, pattern altitude, mark runways that are RH patterns, and you have a winner!

I have a sheet like that for local airports as the next-to-last page of my checklist.

Technically, as a student, he’d have to give you flight training and endorse you for repeated cross countries to these airports if you were going to use them. (And assuming they’re all within 25 miles.) :)

Technically, as a student, he’d have to give you flight training and endorse you for repeated cross countries to these airports if you were going to use them. (And assuming they’re all within 25 miles.) :)

The use specified (xwind beyond the student’s capabilities) would constitute an emergency and the student could exercise his PIC authority and do what he needed to do to land safely.

The use specified (xwind beyond the student’s capabilities) would constitute an emergency and the student could exercise his PIC authority and do what he needed to do to land safely.
That level of planning could easily be construed as “planning to have an emergency” rather than “planning for an emergency”.

That level of planning could easily be construed as “planning to have an emergency” rather than “planning for an emergency”.

So what? The option would only be exercised in an actual, verifiable emergency situation. Do you think he would make an actual emergency diversion/landing and then get gigged for being too prepared for it?

What you’re suggesting would be true if he wore a parachute, a Go-Pro, strapped a fire extinguisher to his leg, and recorded himself bailing out in a non-emergency at risk to people on the ground.

So what? The option would only be exercised in an actual, verifiable emergency situation. Do you think he would make an actual emergency diversion/landing and then get gigged for being too prepared for it?

What you’re suggesting would be true if he wore a parachute, a Go-Pro, strapped a fire extinguisher to his leg, and recorded himself bailing out in a non-emergency at risk to people on the ground.
I think the instructor could get gigged for not properly preparing the student and/or not properly verifying cross country planning.

To me it’s like where Part 135 used to prohibit single engine operations above a cloud layer that you couldn’t descend through visually in the event of an engine failure. Guys would fly on top of a solid layer, and their excuse was, “if an engine fails, it’s an emergency. I can do whatever I want.”

91.3 only authorizes deviation from Part 91 regs in an emergency. Student cross country endorsements aren’t part 91 regs any more than Part 135 regs are.

MaulSkinner and others:

I departed on a 4 airport, 3 jurisdiction cross country and both myself and my instructor had a full weather briefing before I was signed off and left. At the next to last airport, the wind was more than twice the forecast, and quite gusty. The landing at Leesburg was challenging, but stayed on the center half of the wide runway.

I discussed whether to continue, or leave the plane there, with a local instructor. He had seen me land, and was complimentary. After a new weather briefing with him on the line, we decided that with the 3 X 5 card, I was suitably prepared to make an intelligent diversion to a local airport with down the runway wind, and continuing was reasonable.

At College Park, the wind was strong, but down the runway, so I landed there.

When I started flying in that 1960 Cessna 150, it had only 3 crystals, and most of the small airports had no radios, so frequencies were not important back then. 2/3rds of those airports on my card do not exist today. The 200 miles passed through Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC airspace, and no radio was required. Leesburg had Unicom, but not the frequency we had at College Park, so I could not call them, they had no tower, so optional.

The suggested additions are quite appropriate for todays environment, the card I described is an historic artifact, and a guide for student pilots to build their own from.

They now call that 3 x5 card Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, iFly, FlyQ, Avare....

They now call that 3 x5 card Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, iFly, FlyQ, Avare....
Funny that as I was reading the OPs post, I was thinking, “Wouldn’t it just be easier/better to use ForeFlight with ‘Surface Wind’ selected?”

Before the advent of cockpit weather and EFBs you had to stake your chances, and you couldn't always tell. You could call Flight Service enroute (I think you still can, though I don't know why anyone would bother) but their information wasn't always unto snuff.

I did things very differently. I got very good very early at managing crosswinds. I had lots of big runways on which to land, and I got lots of practice because there are always crosswinds where I live.

I still keep a printed 'cheat sheet' with me of local airports. Runway numbers, elevation, ctaf/awos, etc. I don't need directions, pilotage is easy around here. Yeah, I can look on the tablet or whatever, but it's faster and easier to just look at a sheet.

Back